Mosquito NF.II radar aerials question

Stéphane

Hello all,

I'm currently building a NF.II Mossey, from the FBVI boxing (Tamiya, 1/48). The wingtips and mid wings radar aerials are not provided in the kit.

I've found very little reference pics or material, I get there are two wingtips located sets, under and over the wing, plus two more, angled, upper wing, just outboard of engine pod.

My questions are :
Is the inner wing aerial set repeated underside ?

And do you know a source for reference pics, like a preserved aircraft or tech manual ?

My web searches and the Crowood book were not very succesful.

Thanks in advance  for ny halp or hint .

Best,

Stef (#6)

Hi Stef

This should help

serrate3.jpg

Note azimuth aerials above & below both sides, but elevation aerials above & below stbd side only

story-1.jpg

If you zoom in you can just make out the underwing aerials just outboard of the landing light

Some info on the radar setup here :-

https://www.qsl.net/pe1ngz/stories/story-ekco-2.html

and here:-

https://masterbombercraig.wordpress.com/avro-lancaster-bomber/avro-lancaster-marks/safety-equipment/serrate-radar/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I don't know what you're planning to make them out of, but I strongly recommend something flexible that won't shatter every time you dust it. I am about to add them to my 1/72 Airfix quickie that I did in a weekend last year, and am planning to use black bristles cut from a household paint brush. In 1/48 fishing line seems like a good option - drill the holes, attach with PVA and colour the filaments with black permanent marker perhaps

• Like 1

Sounds like a nice plan. Was considering etched sprue, but it's  dificult to get constant diameter.. 

I also have some brass wire I used to mate tanks tracks links, which will be strong enough and seemingly of the correct diameter. 

I'll post some progress piccies tomorrow or the day after.

Best.

S.

2 hours ago, Stéphane said:

I also have some brass wire

That would be my preferred option for the AI aerials, these were solid full size, drill through the wing and use a single length for both top and bottom sections.

I'd go for monofilament for the Gee whip aerial, 42" long full size IIRC, so 22.3mm in 1:48.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

With a bit of delay, here are the Mosquito NF.II radar aerials.

Made according to the excellent info provided by Dave Swindell, thanks a bunch, Dave  😀

Wing aerials are made out brass wire and a traversing hole through the wing. Unfortunately my drill was a bit too big, but I can live with it. The Gee whip aerial is just etched sprue.

Still have to work the exhaust stains and a bit of weathering and she would be complete. And to rebuild the missing fourth canon, destroyed  in a previous home move ....

Thanks again for your help gentlemen,

Stef (#6)

mosquito-NFII-55.jpg

mosquito-NFII-56.jpg

mosquito-NFII-57.jpg

mosquito-NFII-58.jpg

mosquito-NFII-59.jpg

• Like 2