Another beauty. Really impressive work and a tribute to the unsung hero's who did the job. 

I imagine those pans were pretty heavy when full. You wouldn't want it sloshing over the top!

Great paint and I like the graffiti on the back. I wonder if the driver also picked up what the Horse dropped?

Another great build of an essential service vehicle back in the day.

We've still got one of those old pans, sans lid, which Mother Bear uses to keep fertiliser in.......still being used for the job it was  [almost] designed for.

It's heavy enough empty, Lord knows how heavy it would be with a full load.........

Rog 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, radish1us said:

Nah, the horse apples were left on the road for those that used to grow roses

My Mum tells of having to scoop them up for her Dads' garden. 

I hadn't realised they were carried on the head. Rust must have been a worry as they got older. These must have been big blokes.

I remember when I was a nipper, the dustmen hoisting metal bins onto their shoulders. They deserved their Christmas half a crown!

Another outstanding model! :clap2:

Took me a little bit to figure out how it worked, but your later post made it all, uh, clear. I would think a single "event" was all that was needed to learn to inspect those pans very carefully.

3 hours ago, radish1us said:

For those that have NEVER heard of a ‘long drop toilet’, click on the following link and just see what it is.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=long+drop+toilet

Some of us in the states are quite familiar with the long drop. Pit toilets, a.k.a. vault toilets, are common in state and national parks here. Mind you, they are no longer employ a painted board with a smaller hole covering a larger hole...

That is brilliant, I recall the night cart operating in my Grandmas area when I was a kid. A lorry by then & no fancy sliding doors but the principle was just the same as has been mentioned. A beautiful piece of modelling. The pin striping looks fantastic.

Steve.

A most unusual subject indeed

1, some years ago I was asked, and did build a horse-drawn hearse

2. My grandfather told me that in France in WW1 such wagons were called 'Honey wagons' and their latrine hole was the 'Honey pit'. He was a US soldier and he said these names confused the 'eck out of the French and British soldiers

Clive James has a brilliantly funny description of the dunny man coming to grief in volume one of his autobiography Unreliable Memoirs, they were truly unsung hero's.

Wonderful model, my hat off for your scratch building skills.

Dave