Revell 1/32 P-51D-5NA Mustang

44 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

🤣

Btw, even though I told myself to be careful and not to over-sand parts, I might have been an idiot and done just that on the top of the rudder. 

spacer.png

Could you please check your parts (when you get to it) to see if it is the kit or my pure genius? I can't remember how it looked when I dry fitted it.

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Nikola

No probs. I’ll have a look after work. 😉

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nikola Topalov said:

1 hour ago, Nikola Topalov said:

spacer.png

Could you please check your parts (when you get to it) to see if it is the kit or my pure genius? I can't remember how it looked when I dry fitted it.

It genuinely does look like that, the top of the rudder does not line up with the angle of the top of the fin. I used an aftermarket rudder for mine.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Nikola Topalov said:

🤣

Btw, even though I told myself to be careful and not to over-sand parts, I might have been an idiot and done just that on the top of the rudder. 

spacer.png

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Nikola

Well almost forgot.

I just cut mine / Jim’s off the tree and it looks ok to my eye.

51248459000_b69b726a7f_b.jpg

Maybe fix with a small bit of plasticard? 

Hope that helps.

Johnny

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Well almost forgot.

I just cut mine / Jim’s off the tree and it looks ok to my eye.

51248459000_b69b726a7f_b.jpg

Maybe fix with a small bit of plasticard? 

Hope that helps.

Johnny

Thanks Johnny.

Definitely yours looks right. I'll try with a thin sprue bit. Good that I have extra free time for unnecessary repair works. :wall:

Best,

Nikola

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Nikola Topalov said:

Thanks Johnny.

Definitely yours looks right. I'll try with a thin sprue bit. Good that I have extra free time for unnecessary repair works. :wall:

Best,

Nikola

Maybe we had a bad batch 🤔 ? Very odd!

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Hi gents,

Very slow progress on this one (as I promised). :)

Nothing special done but I just wanted to share a small tip about tackling a slight canopy misalignment with those who are yet to build this one. I am generally not happy with the quality of the clear parts. Among some other issues, the windshield is slightly deformed meaning that it is slightly narrower that the fuselage and shorter by a millimetre (I think that Johnny had the same problem). The bubble canopy has deformations within the ''plexiglass'' part (I will post some pics later).

I couldn't avoid the gap between the windshield and the cowling but regarding the joint with the fuselage luckily there is a way to keep filling and sanding to a minimum as there is space to insert a piece of toothpick fixed with CA which will not be seen later and keep the windshield at the proper width until glued to the canopy:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

She is finally ready for priming! :)

I had to do some windshield-cowling gap filling, and panel line and tire threads re-scribing, added some rivets where I thought appropriate...

I will go with white Tamiya Liquid Primer or white Mr. Finishing Surfacer 1500, followed by desert yellow shades, my complementary pre-shading using various reds and aluminium where appropriate for future chipping. Then goes the OD base coat. I chose to go with white primer since it will require less coats to achieve good OD coverage without it looking too dark.

Best,

Nikola

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Well, here is some contradictory information for you:

The painting instructions say that the checkered pattern only goes to the front end of the exhaust stack:

spacer.png

The decal disagrees since it has a cutout to go around the stack past the front end of it:

spacer.png

And if I see it correctly the truth is somewhere in the middle as the pattern only slightly goes past the stack front end:

spacer.png

spacer.png

So, I painted the nose yellow and will either bite the bullet and paint the damn thing or cut out only the red squares of the decal and apply them to the painted yellow (this should make the decal easier to conform to the shape as well. I'll see.

spacer.png

• Like 4

Neutral Grey base over blue pre-shading on the belly finished. I try to keep the pre-shading effect very subtle initially and then modify where required with post-shading afterwards.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

OD finished.

My phone camera and the dining room light bulb just can't capture the subtle differences and tonal variations that well, but they are there, trust me. 😀

Oh well, pics below. :)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 4

The hardest part for me now is judging how much to cover initially knowing that weathering and subsequent coats will affect it. It's just like regular pre-shading only more difficult because if it is with black, no risk of too much of it showing through since it only gives a darker tone of the base color with no hue modulation. Still long way to go until I master this one.

In reality, the red is more subtle but it's very hard to get it right with phone camera and regular room lighting conditions so you guys can see it properly. I'll keep trying to take better shots without all the fancy setup. 

Best,

Nikola

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I know that I might be boring you but as this is a very slow progress I am posting every little step.  :)

Invasion fuselage stripes done. Next are the wing and horizontal stabilizer white stripes. Then the clear coat and on to the decals. Yay!

Ah, yes, and the red checkers on the yellow... 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Nikola Topalov
  • Like 4