Revell 1/32 P-51D-5NA Mustang

Hi gents,

As I have finally built up enough courage to start multiple builds for the first time (at the moment I'm just finishing a 1/48 Mirage IIIC and building HB's easy assembly 1/48 P-51D), I have also decided to build my first 1/32. Being a sucker for a Mustang, I have chosen Revell's P-51D-5NA for my debut on the 1/32 stage. This will be a practice build for Tamiya's pony waiting in the stash, which would really be a shame to mess up! It would be a shame to mess this one up as well, but not guaranteed! :)

This time I'm also using aftermarket goodies for the first time - Eduard Look IP and seatbelts - so this should be fun. :)

I will probably opt for 363 Fighter Sqn., 357 Fighter Group, 8 AF B6-B ''Desert Rat'' (Cpt. Herschel Pascoe), 1944 - OD over grey.

Prior to purchasing the kit I've read good things about it and it should be a fun build. One of the good things is that the wings are full span top and bottom which should ensure correct dihedral with no problem. 

I have decided from now on to try and always have one 1/32 on my bench at any time, stretching the build for as long as it takes, as I will be building other smaller ones along the way. We'll see how it goes. 

This will be a loooong build so only the most patient will survive! :)

Anyway, nothing much at the moment except the ''opening credits''...

Thanks for looking guys!

Best,

Nikola

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 15

Believe I'll sit back and watch. Have a couple of these ponies in my stash. One is planned for a 20th FG if the -5 part of the group. If not I have a few Hasegawa kits also. 32nd scale is not my scale but will watch with interest. So Nikola all the best in your build.

Ron VanDerwarker

Edited by f111guru
  • Thanks 1

I'm in, if you don't mind.

A really good reference for the P-51 is " Building the P-51 Mustang "  by Michael O'Leary, if you can find a copy. If you have any doubts about the wing filling this should settle them, they were filled about 30% back from the leading edge.

John 

On 1/5/2021 at 10:49 AM, Jackson Duvalier said:

I really like the early -D model Mustangs, this one is supposed to be a fun build.  There's certainly lots of potential for added detail.

Do you have a stance on the filled vs. unfilled wing joints debate?  

Hi Jackson, 

Thanks for taking an interest. :)

As for the wing joints, there is a lot of different information out there so I will have to research it more closely. 

What I've read so far about the matter, and which is not very much btw, I found out that apparently filling was in the manual so it was 99% done probably. On the other hand, I read that on some older birds which were in service longer the crew chiefs didn't bother to fully replace the putty or at all in some cases. I guess it depends on a specific plane. In short, no idea yet. :)

I guess it looks more interesting with unfilled joints but probably inaccurate. 

I will have to do my homework on this one. 

Best, 

Nikola

• Like 1

On 1/6/2021 at 6:12 PM, Biggles87 said:

I'm in, if you don't mind.

A really good reference for the P-51 is " Building the P-51 Mustang "  by Michael O'Leary, if you can find a copy. If you have any doubts about the wing filling this should settle them, they were filled about 30% back from the leading edge.

John 

Hi John,

Thank you for the filling info and the reference! Appreciated. I will try to check it out. 

Best, 

Nikola

Hi Nikola,

I built this kit last year (with some modifications) and I think you'll enjoy it. If you want to check my build for some reference, it's here:

I'll be following this one, it's a nice subject you've chosen 👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Alan P said:

Hi Nikola,

I built this kit this year (with some modifications) and I think you'll enjoy it. If you want to check my build for some reference, it's here:

I'll be following this one, it's a nice subject you've chosen 👍

Hi Alan, 

Thank you very much! I will definitely take a look at your build as it will be of much help. I will probably have more questions along the way. :)

Best, 

Nikola

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi gents,

I painted the pattern on the to be exposed wooden floor using Tamiya XF-59 Desert Yellow for the base and Vallejo Model Color Red Leather for the pattern.

Next is the Vallejo chipping medium followed by Tamiya Rubber Black.

I hope for the best. :)

Nikola

spacer.png

• Like 8

3 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice pattern. I didn’t realise the floor was wooden. Great tip, thanks. 🪵

They were usually painted over with a black coating so it would be unusual to see the wood pattern, but I look forward to seeing how the chipping works out @Nikola Topalov, if I could paint wood grain effects that well, I'd have probably left it wooden to show it off 😉

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Alan P said:

They were usually painted over with a black coating so it would be unusual to see the wood pattern, but I look forward to seeing how the chipping works out @Nikola Topalov, if I could paint wood grain effects that well, I'd have probably left it wooden to show it off 😉

It probably needs to be a little thinner and tighter to be properly in scale, but little will be seen through the chipped/worn rubber coating so it's just for an extra effect. When the fuselage is closed up it will go down under in the dark and noone will see it anyway, haha. 

Best, 

Nikola

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Nice pattern. I didn’t realise the floor was wooden. Great tip, thanks. 🪵

Thanks. Glad you like it. :)

Yes, the floor was plywood of some sort covered with some rubbery coating. 

Best, 

Nikola

• Like 1