Southwest Airlines Boeing 737, Airfix 1:144

Here is my first build of 2021.

I have done a few of these 737s, but this is my first in Southwest Airlines livery.

This kit reminds me of my first trip to the United States in 1993, where I saw loads of these sand-coloured 737s flying over San Diego.  I remember in particular the Shamu-coloured 737s, which I really liked a lot.

This kit is very basic, but I enjoyed building it.

It's a skill level 2, but I did find painting this livery quite challenging - especially the curved sections of different colours around the tail.

The white cheatlines went on very well, and I'm pleased with my attempt at painting the curved bands of colours, and getting the cheatlines to match.

The instructions say to mix Humbrol 9 tan with 22 gloss white to get the sand colour, but I used Tamiya TS-46 light sand.  I was planning to use TS-46 for the 1:32 Revell Tornado GR1 in Gulf War colours, but I don't think it's pink enough.

The underside of the fuselage is Humbrol 19 red, and the tail is Humbrol 18 orange.

I used Humbrol satin varnish to give a nice sheen.

IMG_2909

IMG_2910

IMG_2911

IMG_2912

IMG_2913

IMG_2914

IMG_2915

IMG_2916

• Like 49

Thats very nice.

The Airfix 737 may be simple but you did a magnificent job on it.👍

The paintjob is superb.

I will take note on that Tamyia paint for the fuselage,as I have this build in mind as well.

• Like 1

Beautiful job mastering the curves on the rear fuselage painting. That's something I'd really struggle with. All three airliner models shown look great to me.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SAT69 said:

Beautiful job mastering the curves on the rear fuselage painting. That's something I'd really struggle with. All three airliner models shown look great to me.

I used greaseproof baking paper in the end and pencil to trace the curve from the decal sheet.  Then I cut out the curve shape on the baking paper, and taped it in place on the model, and drew around the curve with a fine point marker pen.

This gave me the line I needed to follow to apply the masking tape for painting the curve.

I'm really relieved it worked!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Abandoned Project said:

Very nice. I take it that it was built OOB?

Thanks, yes it's built OOB - I didn't look for any aftermarket parts.  I'm not sure what's available for it.

I wanted something a little simpler to build after the Revell Mosquito!

It still makes a nice model OOB, especially when you do such a nice paint job.

Cheers

John

(The main improvement that can be done is to fatten the engine pylons, as the kit ones are the skinny versions only used on the first 100 or so 737's built, and even many of those were retro fitted. I take a view that the best model is the one you enjoyed making - that is the key. 🙂)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, neilg said:

Thanks, yes it's built OOB - I didn't look for any aftermarket parts.  I'm not sure what's available for it.

Very nice model Neil.

There is surprisingly little aftermarket stuff available for the Airfix 737 which is probably a tribute to its basic accuracy. BraZ make what is supposed to be a set of Adv engines but they are so inaccurate that in my personal view they are unusable. It's easier to modify the kit engines to Adv standards than to make the BraZ ones realistic. The only other worthwhile modification is to improve the cockpit shape. This can be done by fitting the clear section from the Daco Skyline 737 Classic (@Viking is an expert in this) or the spare clear section from a Zvezda 737NG.

Dave G

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skodadriver said:

Very nice model Neil.

There is surprisingly little aftermarket stuff available for the Airfix 737 which is probably a tribute to its basic accuracy. BraZ make what is supposed to be a set of Adv engines but they are so inaccurate that in my personal view they are unusable. It's easier to modify the kit engines to Adv standards than to make the BraZ ones realistic. The only other worthwhile modification is to improve the cockpit shape. This can be done by fitting the clear section from the Daco Skyline 737 Classic (@Viking is an expert in this) or the spare clear section from a Zvezda 737NG.

Dave G

Another option regarding the engines,is to order replacement resin engines from Authentic Airliners,I bought 3 sets,maybe Kurt has them still on offer.

If one has the Eastern Express 737-100 kit,its also simple to switch the engines.

EE has the longer -200ADV engines in their boxing.

• Like 1

Thats a really nice job you have done there, have always liked the Airfix 737,wish I still had some.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Cheers Michael.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, neilg said:

What kind of marking pen? Just wondering if some can't be painted over?

12 minutes ago, busnproplinerfan said:

What kind of marking pen? Just wondering if some can't be painted over?

I used a 0.1-mm fineliner for technical drawings:

IMG_2935

Because the line is so thin, it could be hidden behind the white cheatline decal.

It didn't seem to be a problem to paint over the top of the pigment.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 05/01/2021 at 22:10, Serkan Sen said:

Very eye catching build. Well done...

Serkan

Thanks, I'm glad I was able to find this kit.  It does make a change to the standard Eurowhite liveries of my other airliners in my collection!

It looks like this 737 kit isn't so easy to find these days.