1/72nd SMER FAIREY FULMAR MK.1, 815 NAS, MERSA MATRUH, EGYPT, 1943 *** FINISHED *** 14/01/2021

Think I might have time for a quickie (Oooh, Matron!)

Since having another couple of weeks before this GB ends I thought I would easily be able to complete this Fulmar with markings from Xtradecal.  The kit is on two sprues and looks simple enough, I won't do much to the cockpit apart from seat-belts, unless after looking at some photo's there's something obviously missing.

Getting annoyed with the Dornier Do22 I need something 'soothing' to finish off with.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002

• Like 4

On 1/4/2021 at 11:22 PM, JOCKNEY said:

the exhausts on mine were at different heights on each side of the fuselage.

I think this is the Vista mould :)  I'll probably shave a bit off the slot and add some padding on the other side to get them even on mine.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2021 at 10:22 PM, JOCKNEY said:

Built this one a while ago, from memory a nice kit but strangely the exhausts on mine were at different heights on each side of the fuselage.

Best of luck.

Cheers Pat 

5 hours ago, alt-92 said:

I think this is the Vista mould :)  I'll probably shave a bit off the slot and add some padding on the other side to get them even on mine.

Yes, you're correct. Very strange, it means the panel lines are out as well. I'll not take a direct front photo methinks and leave well alone!

Here's where we are at, the interior built up quickly, I didn't add anything except seat-belts from Tamiya tape.  Once painted I joined the fuselage halves which went together with no problems. The wing was assembled and on initial trial run didn't fit well, but just needed a little shaving at the rear to slot in OK.  I think I'll have to do something with the wheel-wells though. Tail-planes went on Ok and seem to need no filler.

Davey.

DSC_0001 DSC_0002 DSC_0003 DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 6

Been very lax with photo's on this it seems.  Here we are all painted and ready for Gloss and decals, once I get the masking off!

The Xtradecal camo-scheme seemed wrong on the port wing view, so I looked at photo's and used the SH kit scheme plans I have.

I did something I haven't done for a long time and that was to box in the wheel wells which went really well, don't think it's accurate but I'll take a photo once the paint has hardened off and ready to Gloss.

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0001

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Good progress Davey, looks as though your on course to finish by the 17th.

Cheers Ozzy, barring any disasters should be done soon.

Here's where we're at. A coat of Johnson's 'Klear' (the modern version by the way which I brush on, dries very quickly and makes your models smell nice!).

The Xtradecal markings went on well, this time using the 'Micro Sol/Set system as I have a load still to use.

DSC_0001 DSC_0003 DSC_0004

Boxed in the wheel-wells, don't think the step should be there but there would be a plastic bar to remove on the upper wing half that should be done before assembly. They're such big spaces that I decided to do it anyway, normally I leave alone as you can't see them anyway when on display.

DSC_0002

More soon.

Davey.

• Like 4

Quick update.  Got the Matt varnish on and have put some primer on the various parts to finish this. Of course I forgot to paint the under-carriage doors while doing the Sky undersides!

More soon.

Davey.

DSC_0005 DSC_0006

• Like 4

2 hours ago, JOCKNEY said:

Looks great Davey

Did you use a canopy masking set ?

I nearly lost the will to live masking mine !

cheers Pat

Hi Pat, no, all bits of Tamiya Tape. Done while watching episodes of 'New Girl' on Netflix 😁

Davey.

• Haha 1

• DaveyGair changed the title to 1/72nd SMER FAIREY FULMAR MK.1, 815 NAS, MERSA MATRUH, EGYPT, 1943 *** FINISHED *** 14/01/2021

Here we are all finished.  A simple build, after loading the photo's onto Flickr noticed something odd about the landing light, may fix it at a later date.

This is my last MTO build, I have loads of other subjects for this theatre of WW2, an MTO IV anyone?

Davey.

DSC_0006 DSC_0005 DSC_0007

• Like 4