The dreaded Mosquito NF.30 exhaust shroud

TempestV

Good morning all and wishing you a Happy New Year! Here’s hoping that 2021 offers us all some normality soon.

I am currently converting a 1/48th Tamiya Mossie FB.VI to an NF.30, and have spent the past three months modifying the cockpit to late NF standard. Over the Christmas break I spent the odd day prepping the nacelles for Brengun’s lovely two-stage engines. Everything looks like it will fit nicely and I have started thinking about how to tackle the exhaust shrouds (cue groans!)

I’m planning to build a 157 Sqn machine, RS-F NT242, which has the artwork ‘Fairynuff’ on the port nose. There are a number of photos knocking around of this Mossie but none that I am aware of that show what type of shrouds were fitted. I am aware that the initial modified shrouds could not cope with the six-stack configuration of the two-stagers, leading to the later (and harder to pin down) ‘gilled’ version of a radically different shape.

I am wondering whether I should modify the Tamiya shrouds so that they cover the six-stack configuration, or make a rod for my back and attack the four ‘gilled’ offerings from the Airfix 2003 re-tool, which unmodified resemble some kind of oversized alien grub!

I’d be grateful to hear from anyone who has decent pics of either shroud fitted on two-stage NF Mossies, and will happily trade a smidge of Unicorn Glue should you have accurate drawings of the later style! The Valiant Wings Mossie book has its own interpretations, but I am not sure how accurate these renditions are…

In the meantime continue to stay safe and well.

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by TempestV

I haven't checked out the dimensions but in 1/72 I have long planned to use the exhausts from a white metal Sea Hornet conversion. Whether this is a possibility in 1/48th I'm afraid I don't know.

• Like 1

I've been trying to accrue as much info on these (Interim) exhaust shrouds for a long time. It appears they were only selectively fitted in the last months of the war, the majority of NF XXX's retaining the un-louvered type (as far as I could find).

The best views and drawings I could find were in the excellent Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Mosquito Vol. 1

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Interim Exhaust shroud

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Interim Exhaust shroud 3

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Interim Exhaust shroud 2

... and the Brussels Air Museum ...

mosquito-402

Brussells air museum 4

Brussells air museum 3

Brussells air museum 2

Brussells air museum 1

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Mosquito Vol. 1 drawings (artist unknown)

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Shroud 3

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Shroud 2

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Shroud 4

Wydawnictwo Militaria 157 - Shroud

I cannot speak to the accuracy of these drawings, but they look right and are the best I have been able to find.

Colin

Edited by Tail-Dragon
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TempestV said:

offerings from the Airfix 2003 re-tool, which unmodified resemble some kind of oversized alien grub!

Which is rather apt as I used them on a Sci Fi scratchbuild. They looked great on there. 

Good luck with your quest. I do like a Mossie!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1