Chewbacca's 2020

Chewbacca

Just two completed from me in 2020.  No excuses, I'm just slow!

Scratchbuilt 1/350 HMS BULOLO

Started in September 2018 as part of the Pacific GB, a completely scratchbuilt model of my late father's ship and Lord Louis Mountbatten's flagship during the Far East campaign in 1945.  No plans avauilable other than what i drew myself and only a handful of photographs to work from.  At the start there was a vague hope that I might finish in the 3 months allocated for the GB; in the end it took two years and two weeks!  But reasonably pleased with the result and proud that it made it into the latest IPMS magazine as part of their virtual SMW 2020 gallery.  WIP thread here:

50383442262_3c9ea12655_b.jpg

50382561818_caf0217582_b.jpg

1/48 Operation Corporate Westland Wasp, HMS HECLA flight - "Wilbur"

This was started even before BULOLO following the acquisition of the aged Fujima 1/48 Wasp kit which bears shall we say, a passing resemblance to a Wasp but not much more.  I made reasonable progress then parked it on the shelf of doom for a few years before breaking it out in April this year when I needed a bit of a light relief from BULOLO.  It was built to represent Wilbur, HMS HECLA's Wasp while I was serving onboard as Midshipman in 1982 during Operation Corporate.  In the end, this also turned into a significant scratchbuilding exercise, especially when I decided to build a flight deck base for it which turned into a 1/48 representation of the entire back end of HECLA!

WIP thread here:

50622915648_fc029d03bb_b.jpg

50622925733_6f9b48ec96_b.jpg

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 22