At this hour, lie at my mercy all mine enemies! Eduard Tempest. Finished (at last!)

Nice looking Tempest, thus far.  I, too, would love to see it finished!  The Tempest is one for my top 3 favorite airplanes of all time, the result of building the Eduard Tempest Mk V Series 2.  I finished that one some time ago, and now have another Eduard Series 2, a Series 1, and the Royal Class Dual Combo kit, which has one each, for a total of 2 Series 1 and Series 2 airplanes.  I've been planning to do an Invasion Stripe Series 1, like you are doing, but will a whole bunch of Barracuda Cast aftermarket goodies, plus the Eduard photo etch flap set.  I'm planning on doing a series of D Day Invasion Stripe planes, the Tempest, a Spitfire, a P-51D, plus others.  I'd love to see your painted on squadron codes!  Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Progress is mind-numbingly slow; I think this one will be on the bench for longer that it would have taken to design the aircraft.  Still, being pressed for space and having a 1/48 Beaufighter to get built quickly I decided to crack on with the Tempest and get it done.

I've masked up the roundels and tail markings and realised that now I need to know what colours these should be.  The white elements aren't a problem, but if anyone can tell me what colours the yellow, red and blue should be that would be great.

Thanks,

JRK

Just a question (I ask because I have a couple of Eduard Tempests to build at some point)  Should the camo be as sharp edged as that? My impression from period photo's was that it was more feathered.  (Just want to get mine right)

Colin

17 minutes ago, Tail-Dragon said:

Just a question (I ask because I have a couple of Eduard Tempests to build at some point)  Should the camo be as sharp edged as that? My impression from period photo's was that it was more feathered.  (Just want to get mine right)

Colin

Normally a quick web trawl for Hawker Tempest will turn up at least one image of JN751, but not tonight.  I have, however, found images of JN735, JN766 and JN818, also NV696, and all show quite sharp definition between the camouflage colours.  This trend also applies to EJ-, MW-and PR-serialled Tempests.  Any “overspray” at the edges should be a maximum of 1 inch wide, assuming that the AID inspector was doing his job, which equates to 0.02 inch or 0.5 mm in 1/48th scale so the heavily feathered edges favoured by some modellers are entirely inappropriate.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 5:53 PM, stever219 said:

Normally a quick web trawl for Hawker Tempest will turn up at least one image of JN751, but not tonight.  I have, however, found images of JN735, JN766 and JN818, also NV696, and all show quite sharp definition between the camouflage colours.  This trend also applies to EJ-, MW-and PR-serialled Tempests.  Any “overspray” at the edges should be a maximum of 1 inch wide, assuming that the AID inspector was doing his job, which equates to 0.02 inch or 0.5 mm in 1/48th scale so the heavily feathered edges favoured by some modellers are entirely inappropriate.

Thanks, just what I needed to know. 

A .020" overspray - I've tried to be crisp, but not there yet!

• 2 months later...

After looking at the Tempest staring at me in disapproval from the shelf of doom for weeks (the Defiant had given up staring, but more of that later) I decided to bite the bullet and actually do some work on it.  I used Humbrol 104 for the blue and 153 for the base of the red, adding a bit of 60 to tone it down a bit and the merest hint of blue (96) to help with this.  I then learned how to dance the roundel-spraying mask merry go round and got stuck in.  The airscrew, spinner and remaining undercarriage parts were also sprayed.

I also realised that if I'd been clever I would have sprayed the leading edges yellow and the sky fuselage band on before I did the camo, but I'll have to find a way of doing that post-camo now, so that's the next task, along with spraying the codes.

Still, it finally feels like I'm getting somewhere now, so that's good.  The end is in sight.

spacer.png

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 11

I don't know quite what's happening here but I seem to be actually making daily progress (which will falter over the next few days as I'm away, but hey...) with the Tempest.  I've also decided that next time I airbrush the markings on I'm going to undercoat the aircraft in white first and modify the order in which I apply the markings in order to simplify things, but I've learned a lot and I like the look (if not the hassle!) of the painted roundels etc.

Before:

spacer.png

After:

spacer.png

As you can see, the only markings left to airbrush are the serials.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 6

• 1 month later...
On 28/08/2021 at 18:55, jackroadkill said:

I don't know quite what's happening here but I seem to be actually making daily progress (which will falter over the next few days as I'm away, but hey...)

Did I say days?  I must have meant months.

I've realised that I'm now ten months, ten whole months, into this simple build.  Happily, though, I can report that the building and painting are now complete, and only weathering remains. 

spacer.png

As I do whenever possible, I left the airscrew until last, as I think this brings the model to life.  Being an Eduard kit you're supposed to cement the spinner to the cowling; I jibbed out of this and used Micro Kristal Klear as I'm less likely to break blades off that way.

I'm away for a few days to my cousin's wedding, but I'm going to get on the weathering when I come home.  For one thing I've a Ta152 to get started on, so I'm enforcing discipline and will finish the Tempest first before starting it.  There's a wee Vampire that's getting close to finished now too, so there might even be space for another kit.  Watch this space...

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 8

Very nicely done! :clap2: It truly looks like the powerful and fast beast that it was.

I'd be quite happy to declare myself done at this point.

But, um, how to say...

Interests:Avoiding painting invasion stripes EVER again

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dnl42 said:

But, um, how to say...

Interests:Avoiding painting invasion stripes EVER again

This model, along with my recent Beaufighter, is the very reason I made that bold statement; I still flinch when I think about the miles of tape I used.

• Haha 2

Looking good JRK - I have (another) one of these in my near future, and I'll be very happy if it looks this good!

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1

Finally, the beast is finished!

Thanks very much to all who have offered encouragement, stuck with this short (ahem) build from the beginning and helped me drag it over the line.  I have to confess to doing next to no weathering on it, but I like the way it looks as it is.

spacer.png

There'll be an RFI to follow.

Cheers,

JRK

• Like 4

• jackroadkill changed the title to At this hour, lie at my mercy all mine enemies! Eduard Tempest. Finished (at last!)
1 minute ago, jackroadkill said:

Finally, the beast is finished!

Thanks very much to all who have offered encouragement, stuck with this short (ahem) build from the beginning and helped me drag it over the line.  I have to confess to doing next to no weathering on it, but I like the way it looks as it is.

spacer.png

There'll be an RFI to follow.

Cheers,

JRK

Lovely finish JRK - look forward to seeing the RFI!

Cheers,

Roger