At this hour, lie at my mercy all mine enemies! Eduard Tempest. Finished (at last!)

Here's the story.  For Christmas my better half gave me three kits; 1/48 Eduard Bf110E and Bf109G6 aircraft and a 1/48 Airfix Defiant mk1.  I was really chuffed with these and set about buying some AM stuff for the, because I'm a big boy now and it's beyond time that I started doing things properly.  I have two models that have a little building left and the majority of the paintwork to go and so it's time to begin the next build.  I really wanted to start one of the ones I was given, but the AM for the Defiant isn't here yet and I'm holding off the other two pending the arrival of my first airbrush later this month.  What to do then?  Well, the answer is obvious - get one of the Lidl Airfix 1/72 specials out of the stash and crack on with it, as none of them would take long and they might be a laugh.  I particularly like the mk1 Hurricane, of which there are two in the stash, so it was logical to get one of them out and get going.

Here's my next model in the early stages:

spacer.png

Somehow I've done a whoopsie; this is an Eduard 1/48 Tempest V Series 1.  No, I don't know either, it just happened.

I've reconciled myself to my foolishness and have decided that I will build it OOB, other than some seatbelts that I have hanging around somewhere, and maybe the odd bit of scratchbuilding as I see fit.  Anyway, this is a departure for me - for the first time in months there are no Luftwaffe models being built chez Roadkill so maybe that's what caused the madness.

The kit seems nice and I'll paint it in the colours and markings of Wing Commander Ronald Beaumont DSO, DFC and Bar who was CO of no.150 Wing in June 1944.  It will have the full invasion stripes (but pending some research I'm not yet sure if they'll be pin-sharp or slapped on in a hurry; I'll have to see what I can turn up reference-wise online.)

I've just realised that I might have an entry in the ANZAC group build that starts soon.  Oh poo....

• Like 9
  • Confused 1

A quick update:

Haven't had much time over the last few days to butcher styrene but have just about managed to get the office assembled.  The paintwork is basic; I haven't got to much in the way of detailing or weathering yet, but the wickerwork is done, at least.

Now, can anyone spot the deliberate mistake?

spacer.png

• Like 5

On 07/01/2021 at 20:17, Marklo said:

The seatbelt harness ?

Otherwise looks very good.

Not quite.  I lost the rudder bar whilst making the cockpit up, and much searching didn't turn it up, so I resolved to manage without it on the basis that nobody would notice the omission.  You won't see it in the picture above.  Imagine my surprise when, last night, I was stealing some Quality Street and I found the rudder bar assembly in the tin!  It's back in place now.  I don't know what the issue is with the belts (I don't know an awful lot in that respect, I'll be the first to admit) and they were a hash-up made from bits I had kicking around.  Answers on a postcard, please.

I've got the wings on now, and it's starting to look a little like an aeroplane:

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far she's gone together well, a marked difference from the ICM Spit that I have on the bench.

• Like 9

The seat belt is up-side down

The two straps should be down towards the seat base and the bit where they join should go over the top of the seat

see here; https://www.historicflyingclothing.com/en-GB//raf-tempest-typhoon-fighter-sutton-harness/prod_13641#.X_6_Zej7TIU

38 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

As in the buckle should be at the back, do you mean?

I think your initial photo is a little misleading. It looks like the back straps are joined together at the seat pan end though on closer inspection, I don't think they are.

Anyway, this is looking great though I'm disappointed you didn't go for the Hurricane. Which airbrush did you go for?

Craig. 

3 hours ago, Black Knight said:

The seat belt is up-side down

The two straps should be down towards the seat base and the bit where they join should go over the top of the seat

see here; https://www.historicflyingclothing.com/en-GB//raf-tempest-typhoon-fighter-sutton-harness/prod_13641#.X_6_Zej7TIU

2 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I think your initial photo is a little misleading. It looks like the back straps are joined together at the seat pan end though on closer inspection, I don't think they are.

Anyway, this is looking great though I'm disappointed you didn't go for the Hurricane. Which airbrush did you go for?

Craig. 

Ah, now I get it; I think that's just the perspective of the photo; they're not joined at the bottom, it just looks that way in the picture.  When I get home from work I'll take one which shows this.

Craig, I went for an Iwata Neo and will be getting a Badger compressor.

5 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Ah, now I get it; I think that's just the perspective of the photo; they're not joined at the bottom, it just looks that way in the picture. . . . 

oh, sorry.

as you were, carry on

:D

• Haha 2

This kit's ailerons look a bit odd.  I can't imagine it'll be hard to sort out, but I'm not sure why they would be moulded this way:

spacer.png

They're only dry fitted at the moment, but before I hack them about does anyone know if this is for any valid reason?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

This kit's ailerons look a bit odd.  I can't imagine it'll be hard to sort out, but I'm not sure why they would be moulded this way:

They're only dry fitted at the moment, but before I hack them about does anyone know if this is for any valid reason?

Are you sure they are on the correct wing?  Have you tried the fit the other way around?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

Are you sure they are on the correct wing?  Have you tried the fit the other way around?

Yes, I gave that a go to no avail.  Weird, eh?  I might just hack them up and make them fit.

On 1/14/2021 at 7:32 PM, jackroadkill said:

Like Mark, my first thought was that they look upside down. What does their other side look like? How do they look edge on? 

Assuming you haven’t already attacked them with every weapon in your modelling arsenal of course. 

That’s a good looking cockpit. 

Craig. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

Like Mark, my first thought was that they look upside down. What does their other side look like? How do they look edge on? 

Assuming you haven’t already attacked them with every weapon in your modelling arsenal of course. 

That’s a good looking cockpit. 

Craig. 

Well, today they’re going on, one way or another, so we’ll find out!

• Haha 1

Ailerons are sorted.  It turns out that they were the right way up but for some reason they naturally fit in in one of two positions.  Either they go in correctly or they hang down.  Anyway, they're in position now.  I wouldn't have minded being able to position them one a little up and one a little down, but there we are.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Well, this has gone.... cold.

Somehow I've stalled majorly on this one.  I've finished two other models and started two more since my last post in this thread, and the Tempest has just sat on my shelf, doing the square root of not very much.  However, I had the airbrush out the other day and decided that I could at least get the MSG on the undersides of this one whilst I was at it.  This hasn't caused me to explode into action, but, shall we say, I can at least say that I have done something with it.

As you can see below, I've marked where the invasion stripes will go.  This isn't because I'm planning anything dramatic, rather I'm too lazy to draw the camouflage pattern where it doesn't need to be drawn.  Reference pictures show the stripes as being carefully and neatly applied rather than slapped on in too much of a hurry, so hopefully this will work in my favour in that respect....

spacer.png

Oh, the canopy is on, too.  Small steps, eh?

spacer.png

With a bit of luck and a following wind I might manage to update the thread with a little more regularity; if not, feel free to heckle from the sidelines for the purposes of encouragement!

Thanks,

Jack

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Well, a small amount of progress has been made.  I used a set of Top Notch (and they were) vinyl masks and, during this morning's massive Dark Green airbrushing session I had a crack at the Tempest:

spacer.png

Overall I'm reasonably pleased.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

The Tempest and I seem to have a pretty on/off relationship.  I haven't touched it for weeks and have looked at it darkly whenever my gaze has fallen on it.  Whilst mixing up some flat black today for another project I realised that I'd already sprayed the white areas for the invasion stripes and that it wouldn't kill me to actually pull my finger out and mask and spray the black parts of these, too.  With that in mind I girded my loins and had a go.  It hasn't turned out too badly, although there's been a wee bit of seepage around the cannon blisters.  Easily sorted, though, so no big deal.

spacer.png

Slowly slowly catchee monkey, I believe is the pertinent phrase here.

• Like 13

49 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I look forward to seeing you nudge it over the line!

At this rate it might be done by Christmas!

I seem to have GB's coming out of my ears at the moment, so this one won't take priority for a while, although I'm going to try to work on it when I have the right paints in the airbrush.  Next up is spraying the squadron codes, which will be a first for me.

• Like 1