Kiwi Corsairs

72modeler

These go out to @LDSModeller and  all NZ Zealots! These were new to me, and I hope to many of you as well! ( In 2021 let's get one done!) :giggle:

Mike

Vought-F4U-1A-Corsair-RNZAF-as-NZ5326-and-NZ5315-Espirito-Santo-Bougainville-1945-01.jpg (1600×1075) (asisbiz.com)

Vought-F4U-Corsair-RNZAF-White-17-landing-mishap-01.jpg (1600×1107) (asisbiz.com)

Asisbiz RNZAF 5Sq Maintenance Unit Bougainville 1945-13

RNZAF-5Sq-Maintenance-Unit-Bougainville-1945-05.jpg (1600×999) (asisbiz.com)

Vought-F4U-1A-Corsair-RNZAF-as-NZ5218-BuNo-49748-Espirito-Santo-Bougainville-1945-01.jpg (1600×1308) (asisbiz.com)

Asisbiz Vought F4U-1A Corsair RNZAF as NZ5255 BuNo 56438 of 4 SU 18Sqn Jun Jul 1944-at Emirau 01

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 72modeler said:

These were new to me, and I hope to many of you as well!

Hi Mike,

Thank you for thinking of We Kiwi's :D

Truth be told, I knew of this site already, just be aware that information on this site

about RNZAF Corsair contains errors/factually incorrect.

A prime example is in your list above, - "Asisbiz RNZAF 5Sq Maintenance Unit Bougainville 1945-13"

5 Squadron was (and still is) a Maritime Recon/ASW Squadron, flying Vickers Vincents, then Flying boats,

during the duration of the war in the Pacific. Never Flew or maintained Corsairs.

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 1

@LDSModeller

Alan,

No problem! Some of the neatest people I know are Kiwis! I figured the site would be old news to you, but the Corsair photos were new to me, so I was hoping others might find them of interest. That being said, I hate to be the bringer of misinformation. Thanks for taking the time to reply. (You are a bad influence on me- I just got through ordering  decal sheets to do a NZ PV-1 Ventura and and SBD-5 Dauntless, as I have decided not to them in the  USN tri-color scheme.)

Mike

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

No problem! Some of the neatest people I know are Kiwis! I figured the site would be old news to you, but the Corsair photos were new to me, so I was hoping others might find them of interest. That being said, I hate to be the bringer of misinformation. Thanks for taking the time to reply. (You are a bad influence on me*- I just got through ordering  decal sheets to do a NZ PV-1 Ventura and and SBD-5 Dauntless, as I have decided not to them in the  USN tri-color scheme.)

Hi Mike,

Appreciate you taking the time to think of us  - I give all blame for misinformation to those who

have these websites and fail to properly research the information they post (especially in this day and age)

You are a bad influence on me* I take full responsibility for that :D

There are some cool schemes for RNZAF PV-1's

PR3252.t5f3343ed.m800.xCSCxNxP4.jpg

(RNZAF Official - RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

NZ4509 - Flying Officer DF Ayson talking to a US Serviceman about his Aerial three kills

PR4183.t5ea09ca1.m800.xBcFr1EkO.jpg

Down side to your decals, is that the RNZAF SBD-5's only wore the US Tri- Colour Scheme

Bare in mind that Operationally the SBD-5 only operated for about 3 months, before being handed back to

the USMC.

Having said that RNZAF SBD-5's had some cool Aircraft art

NZ5060 - Donald Duck - This is the subject of my SBD-5 Build (My Wife likes Ducks....)

PR3448.t5ebf16f6.m600.xZxcnBwC3.jpg

NZ5057 - 25 Sqn CO's Aircraft - Sqn Leader T J MacLean de Lange

Nose Art 'Howa-baht-that-hic!'

Being a Cartoon Character with Booze dripping/pouring out.

This was a dishonouring swipe at the Japanese, as pouring Alcohol over them from the air was

a dishonouring action - would mean death if you were captured;)

PR3447.t5ebf16f4.m800.xWfmEM0CA.jpg

As an aside there also was a RNZAF TBF-1c that had similar - This TBF really enraged the Japanese,

in that Tokyo Rose mentioned it by name and that it would be shot down (eventually it was with loss of

all three crew).

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Too cool, Alan! I knew the NZ Venturas were in tri-scheme; I meant that I wanted to do one in NZ markings. That SBD with the duck is the bee's knees! Guessing there is no decal sheet with that marking? I think the USN SBD-5's are so plain, which is why I wanted to do one in NZ markings, as they really look the business with the roundels/bars.  SBD-3's, on the other hand, have to be in early blue grey/light grey with rudder stripes!

Back in the  '90's, I made the acquaintence of somebody at Ventura Models, who somehow got my name from somebody at IPMS-USA.  He asked if I could shoot photos and take measurements of the F-51H we had on display at Lackland AB where I live. Said he wanted to market a 1/72 vacform kit, but he had no access to the real thing, as all the surviving aircraft were on our side of the pond. Took a day and measured every blinkin' inch of that puppy and took photos of every aspect of the airplane. I even made some 1/48 drawings for him and sent the lot to NZ. The kit never made it to market, as I think that's when CMR released their all-resin kit. Got a bunch of Ventura decal sheets and resin parts, as well as an invitation for a place to stay if I ever got down New Zealand way, but alas, never made it!

Mike

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That SBD with the duck is the bee's knees! Guessing there is no decal sheet with that marking?

Hi Mike,

Ventura Decals do some (this one's 1/72) with the markings for NZ5060 - Donald Duck

Ventura RNZAF Dauntless Decals

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Back in the  '90's, I made the acquaintence of somebody at Ventura Models

Possibly Malcolm laird, the owner of Ventura publications?

Regards

Alan

1 hour ago, LDSModeller said:

Hi Mike,

Ventura Decals do some (this one's 1/72) with the markings for NZ5060 - Donald Duck

Ventura RNZAF Dauntless Decals

Possibly Malcolm laird, the owner of Ventura publications?

Regards

Alan

I think it might have been Malcolm. I have the Ventura NZ SBD decal sheet on order. As for the NZ Venturas, which decal sheet would you or  others recommend? Carpena, Colorado, Aviaeology, or Printscale?  I know you have commented that some of these decal sheets have roundels that are not the right color. Help me, Obie LDS; you're my only hope! :giggle: BTW, when is Anzac Day?

Mike

Mike

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

As for the NZ Venturas, which decal sheet would you or  others recommend? Carpena, Colorado, Aviaeology, or Printscale?  I know you have commented that some of these decal sheets have roundels that are not the right color

Hi Mike,

The Carpena/Printscale/Colorado decals all have that horrid light blue colour,

which is not right, What's even worse is the Decals have Yellow surrounds

for the wing Roundels - No RNZAF aircraft in the SW Pacific ever had those.

Aviaeology, I haven't seen, so can't comment.

Ventura do a sheet with at least three RNZAF Venturas

Ventura RNZAF PV-1 decals

Old Model Decals also do RNZAF PV-1's also

Old Model Decals

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

BTW, when is Anzac Day?

ANZAC Day is April 25 - 106 Years this year since the landings at Gallipoli

My Great Uncle Robert Dickey is interred at Walkers Ridge, Galliopli

5807ea41-e7de-42a4-9f9d-8886dbdb6af7.jpg

My Brother (then in the RAAF) went to Gallipoli for ANZAC Day commemorations some years ago per below

457b1ff3-2066-4897-ab4b-589bf752ea9e.jpg

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply and photos, Alan. That entire Gallipoli operation was a fiasco and a complete waste of young men's lives- Like MacArthur's blunders in the Philippines at the start of the war, Churchill should have been sacked. May your great uncle rest in peace. Will try to snag the Ventura PV-1 sheet; I also found a sheet that has the TBF's you mentioned...oh, my- that's another Kiwi scheme to replace a USN one! Plus, a P-40E! See what you've done- you should be ashamed of yourself! :giggle:

Mike

• Haha 2