One Giant Leap For Mankind, Just A Pootle Round The Garden For A Martian

what I suspect is a lightning conductor to the top

It's not that, it's actually a shock body, designed to generate a conical shock wave around the outside of the tower assembly during high-supersonic and hypersonic flight so that the bluff shape of the escape motor doesn't generate its own very strong and irregular shock wave which would probably shake the tower to pieces, otherwise.

Didn't the aerospike atop the tube house an attitude sensor as well Kevin.

003.jpg

Your Battle box is upside down Martian....I'm surprised at you, kindly sort it out.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, general melchett said:

Didn't the aerospike atop the tube house an attitude sensor as well Kevin.

Not on Mercury.

Apollo's Launch Escape System had a "Q-ball" at the tip of the tower to sense yaw & pitch but on Mercury the aerospike was just an aerospike.

The Redstone and the Atlas as ballistic missile derivatives both flew on pre-programmed trajectories and so had no need for the spacecraft to provide air-data input to their flight control systems. Saturn was different and much more sophisticated: it used gust alleviation techniques to reduce structural loads on the vehicle as it flew, allowing it to "give" and then rejoin its desired trajectory.

The primary function of an aerospike is to reduce supersonic wave drag: it allows fairly bluff bodies to behave as if they were more streamlined as far as the airflow is concerned. This was useful to gain range on the Trident SLBM: if you look at video of a Trident launch, you can see an aerospike deploy as it breaks water.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Sounds painful, though I imagine that an aliens battle box is his own concern. 👽 

And you thought Melchie's battle pants were scary!

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

An interesting build Martian, almost the sort of thing I could cope with. :)  Many thanks to @KevinK for making every day a school day, having inspected the V2 in the science museum in London AND read the info with it, I can understand what you're saying, something I had no idea was transferred to later rockets. :worthy:

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Launch Escape Towers are not needed once the capsule has been boosted to a sufficiently high altitude so that it can separate from the booster rocket and deploy the parachutes without the need of gaining any further altitude. It varies from rocket to rocket but it usually happens around the two minute mark after launch.

When we had the Soyuz abort just over two years ago, ironically, the problem that caused the abort (a bad jettison of one of the strap on boosters), the escape tower had just been jettisoned. However, Soyuz has a secondary escape system built into the aerodynamic fairing that surrounds the capsule during launch - and it was this system that was used to make sure the spacecraft was pulled away from the wayward booster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pete in Lincs said:

It's impressive stuff. It's been said that the Saturn V is probably mankinds greatest machine. It gets my vote. 

Though I've yet to see what @Martian uses as a cosmic getabout. (Sarah Jane notwithstanding).

My choice of space travel is a classic Haunebu ll.

Martian 👽

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Rob998 said:

Is that the one with the 1950’s Cadillac style fins?

No standard circular job circa 1946. I might put a build up on BM.

Martian 👽

• Like 4

I decided that an A4/V2 rocket would be appropriate to my space programme builds so I ordered one of the Revell/Special Armour kits and started knocking it together today. Things were progressing well until two critical parts of the launch stand were swallowed by the Carpet Monster. This time he was caught in the act and the parts were seen disappearing between the floor boards. High on the to do list now is to take some silicone seam filler and close off every gap between the floor boards in the Martian Cave. Fortunately, I had some launch stand parts left over from the Mercury Redstone build and with the assistance of some Albion Alloys slide fit tubing and the Cutter from the same firm, parts from the two kits were persuaded to mate up to form the basis of a replacement stand. I note from the pictures that I forgot to make one of the struts for the launcher. This will be corrected before bedtime.

Somewhere in the stash I have the Aircraft in Miniature kit of Goddard's rocket and if I can locate it, it may well join the Martian Space Programme.

Thanks for looking

Martian 👽

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

• Like 11

30 minutes ago, Martian said:

No standard circular job circa 1946. I might put a build up on BM.

Martian 👽

Shame, I was hoping that an advanced entity such as yourself would go for a more stylish vibe...

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Mercurial machinations majestic Martian. As good a rocket series as this is unmissable and delighted to see you at work once more dear fellow.

Have been collecting Gemini manuals myself of late to research  CADding up a version for Collins/Young on Gemini IX.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Mercurial machinations majestic Martian. As good a rocket series as this is unmissable and delighted to see you at work once more dear fellow.

Have been collecting Gemini manuals myself of late to research  CADding up a version for Collins/Young on Gemini IX.

Thanks Tony, Its a shame there is not a kit that I am aware of for a 1/72 Titan rocket that I could sit a Dragon Gemini atop.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LorenSharp said:

Not sure if its still available Martian but heres a link for a resin kit

http://www.realspacemodels.com/shop-galapagos/172-gemini-titan

Thanks Loren, I checked it out but the postage far exceeds the cost of the kit which makes it a no go for me. Why have US postal charges gone through the roof in recent years? It must be killing trade and I know for a fact that one well known supplier has been struggling as a result.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Just now, Martian said:

Thanks Loren, I checked it out but the postage far exceeds the cost of the kit which makes it a no go for me. Why have US postal charges gone through the roof in recent years? It must be killing trade and I know for a fact that one well known supplier has been struggling as a result.

Martian 👽

That you would have to look to our Wonderful Capitol 100 klicks to my East. The USPS is part Govt. dept. , part has to show profit because they're sorta almost a private company but not really.( Don't ask) INc ountry rates aren't so bad  Letters etc, but shipping  packages especially overseas is expensive.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

but shipping  packages especially overseas is expensive.

I've found some great bargains from the States on the bay, But. A model costing eight pounds, can cost three times that to ship. So it's a no go. :sad:

Perhaps if we found someone who could fly them over here, possibly via low Earth orbit......? :poke:

@Rob998 Love that tinplate Saucer.

Nice A4/V2 and platform, Your Alienship. Erm, Floorboards? Not anti radiation Durillium plating then? And, Floorboards with a Carpet Monster???

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Martian said:

Its a shame there is not a kit that I am aware of for a 1/72 Titan rocket that I could sit a Dragon Gemini atop.

There isn't a 1/72nd one I'm aware of but there is a 1/73rd scale Titan II - don't laugh, but the Estes flying model kit of the Gemini-Titan II does actually fit the Dragon kit!

It's not much more than a cardboard tube with plastic display engines, but if you replace the (not bad, actually) blow-moulded Gemini, it can make a good basis for display. It comes with basic decals for the Titan.

• Thanks 1

Calling all cars! On the bay today, cut off time 18:24. Revell 1/24th Gemini capsule. Slightly part started. There is a queue already.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVELL-AUTHENTIC-KITS-GEMINI-SPACE-CAPSULE-1-24-SCALE-H-1835/164635184084?hash=item2655058bd4:g:oKYAAOSwvlBf-fRf

Not everyones'cuppa joe, and probably a bit crude, but if you really need one....

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Calling all cars! On the bay today, cut off time 18:24. Revell 1/24th Gemini capsule. Slightly part started. There is a queue already.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REVELL-AUTHENTIC-KITS-GEMINI-SPACE-CAPSULE-1-24-SCALE-H-1835/164635184084?hash=item2655058bd4:g:oKYAAOSwvlBf-fRf

Not everyones'cuppa joe, and probably a bit crude, but if you really need one....

By a strange coincidence a mint kit is on its way to Cape Martian as we speak.

Martian 👽

• Like 5