Resurrecting a starter kit Spitfire

Afternoon All,

This is somewhat of a record for me - a build started and finished in less than a month!  Granted, its a starter kit, and your average 11 year old could probably have done it quicker, but never mind 🙂 The kids got a couple of these for free at an airshow years ago - the kind of thing where you go and sit in a tent and they build it.  We didn't really have time for that, but they let us take them how anyway - and they sat in a box for years.  I practised spraying primer and white gloss on them last year but picked them up again last month.  The original transparencies and decals were long gone, so I got hold of the Pavla vacform canopy and the Hannants BoB special Spitfire sheet.  A set of stencils were very kindly supplied (from Denmark!) by @FinnAndersen  - the generosity of the BM community never ceases to amaze me 😊

This is a skill level 1 kit, but I really struggled with the cockpit - seemed to be a very complicated way of fitting it all together.  I did something wrong in that initial stage somewhere as it would not fit in the fuselage properly when it came to button her up.  I ended up snipping the horizontal rods that joined the two sets of bulkheads and putting the cockpit into the fuselage in two parts.  Once that was done, she went together very easily, everything seemed to fit really well.  The wings are a little too straight, though, should have paid a bit more attention and I could have done some sanding of the upper wing join to allow them to bend upwards a little.

Really struggled with the canopy - my first time with vacform.  Main problem for me was knowing where to cut.  I went cautious to start with and ended up with too much to sand.  To complicate matters further, the Pavla canopy comes in 3 bits so I had to go through that process 3 times!  The canopy looks OK now it's on, I have chosen to do it open as there is no way I could get my 3 bits to join and look half decent.  It's not a bad result, though.  The front windshield is the worst, there was some filler required when I put that in place. 

I chose to do N3290/GR-U of 92 sqn - the subject of both the Airfix decals and the Hannants sheet.  I liked the black/white undersides - bit different from the more normal pale green.  Struggled with the white, as I usually do - find it really hard to get white looking decent.  Its been weathered a bit so doesn't look too bad now.

Anyway, here she is in all her glory.  I'm hoping to get hold of some weathering powder to give me some exhaust staining, but not sure when I'll be able to get that.  Thanks to all on BM who have provided inspiration, ideas and decals this year - its helped get me right back into the hobby 👍

50794930678_890ae973c0_h.jpg

50795678306_7368b2413b_h.jpg

50795802537_d6ebac5bb0_h.jpg

50795679246_1e3adce2d4_h.jpg

spacer.png

Happy New Year all!!

Al.

• Like 11

I must say that I'm impressed of what you have managed to get out of this kit. 

And I concur that vacform canopies is a pain. I only use them when I absolutely has to. Still, for an open canopy Spitfire, it really adds to the realism.

You can be proud of this and with a few more cheap kits under your belt, ready for the joy of a more modern kit. You really should try the Eduard Spitfire IX/VIII series.

Cheers,

/Finn

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

I must say that I'm impressed of what you have managed to get out of this kit. 

And I concur that vacform canopies is a pain. I only use them when I absolutely has to. Still, for an open canopy Spitfire, it really adds to the realism.

You can be proud of this and with a few more cheap kits under your belt, ready for the joy of a more modern kit. You really should try the Eduard Spitfire IX/VIII series.

Cheers,

/Finn

Thanks for the kind words, Finn!  Its funny, I wasn't that bothered by the Spitfire when I started, it was just something to do - but having built it I'm quite happy to have another one to do.  Nice to rediscover that they genuinely are one of the best looking planes..

As the Eduard ones, don't give me something else to trawl the internet for!! 🤣

Al.

Brilliant result!

I spend more time restoring old pre-loved models than building new ones. I strip them back as far as I can get them and if possible dismantle them. I then rebuild them and replace broken/missing parts by 3D printing them. I prefer to opt for the RAF markings if there’s a choice. My last one was a Matchbox/Revell Beaufighter which I tried wear]the ring for the first time. 
Your resurrected Spitfire is a stunner!

Edited by Brigbeale
  • Like 1