Sd.Kfz 161/3 3.7cm FLAK Auf. Fgst Pz.Kpfw.IV (Sf) "MOBELWAGEN"

1 minute ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Yeah, I've heard of Stynylrez, it's a thinners based primer ( I think) like the one shot you mention. No different to what you use on a car I belive.

As regards the Vallejo un-thinned.....that's a big no-no. They do say in the description on the label you can use straight from the bottle, but I do a 75/25 thinned mix....75 being the thinner.....better to do 5 to 6 coats very thin, than one shot from the bottle. It ends up feeling like sand paper if not thinned, as it starts drying once it leaves the gun in mod air......As regards the sanding of it once dry. I've to date not had an issue. I think it's because I put very thin coats on and with 1000 grit with water it can be sanded if I see a surface imperfection from the build. Never had to sand my Vallejo because of a rough finish, due to the well thinned multiple coats. More thinner, gives it time to settle before drying.

I tried it thinned and unthinned. Of course light coats is mandatory, same as Oneshot. They seem all the same, the only difference is I can sand the Oneshot and not the vallejo, so I kept the Oneshot. Nice levelling, smooth its wonderfull to apply...at least for me I enjoy it very much.

Cheers

LM

2 minutes ago, Lazy Modeller said:

I tried it thinned and unthinned. Of course light coats is mandatory, same as Oneshot. They seem all the same, the only difference is I can sand the Oneshot and not the vallejo, so I kept the Oneshot. Nice levelling, smooth its wonderfull to apply...at least for me I enjoy it very much.

Cheers

LM

I might change primer myself anyway once the Vellejo finished and switch to a spirit based one.......not sure which one yet.

• Like 1

Just now, Redcoat2966 said:

I might change primer myself anyway once the Vellejo finished and switch to a spirit based one.......not sure which one yet.

Try the Oneshot or Stynylrez... you can trust me! You'll love it!

Cheers

LM

oneshot/UMP are styrenelz and even I can get good results form them 😉 - there are rumours of issues with air brush clogging but have never had that happen even unthinned

Edited by robw_uk
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, robw_uk said:

oneshot/UMP are styrenelz and even I can get good results form them 😉 - there are rumours of issues with air brush clogging but have never had that happen even unthinned

The UMP don't know, because it isn't available around here. About the clogging I usually do a 10% thinner and a bit of flow improver, and during paint also do some tip cleaning here and then and no big problems.

But the primer is thick and sometimes need some cleaning. I'm now using a simple Revell blower that I used in the beginning and works wonders, and also easier to clean because its simpler and doesn't use needles. For applying primer its enough.

Keep in mind that this primer doesn't like low temperatures near frozen, because it will damaged. Maybe some problems can come from that, especially during transport...

Cheers

LM

I have read what is written here about primers. From experience, I can tell that Tamiya acrylic paint adheres to the surface stronger than any primer. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about, because I paint without a primer, and painted surfaces I am ruthlessly rubbed for chipping. Therefore, I do not understand the benefits of a primer - in my opinion, this is just an unnecessary thickening of the paint layer, which destroys all small details.

Of course, this is just my opinion, although I know precedents - the Russians did not prime their tanks :D

Vytautas

P.S. Sorry to take your place

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vytautas said:

thickening of the paint layer, which destroys all small details.

That's what I've found but, that said, I invariably have problems with getting brushed acrylic paint to coat the plastic properly if I put it on direct to the plastic.

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Just catching up with this build, and it's not surprising to find that it's another cracking build from you Simon. Beautiful detail and superb paint work. Great job.

John.

cheers John, appreciate that 👍. Had to pack up the modelling area, guests coming in for Xmas, so not back on it until the New Year…..bit of a bummer😜

regards

Simon

• Like 1
  • Sad 2