Sd.Kfz 161/3 3.7cm FLAK Auf. Fgst Pz.Kpfw.IV (Sf) "MOBELWAGEN"

Morning all.....well, after that long gruelling build and paint job of the Bergepanther, I needed something to build. All that is waiting for completion in the TBD list's needs paint.....and I'm done with painting at present. So, the Mobelwagen......had this knocking around for some time and felt it looked like an interesting build and opportunity to do some scratch and PE upgrading.

Here's the kit from Tamiya. It's a kit going back to 1999. The usual Tamiya moulding quality, and not too many parts....which is nice after the Panther GB  and the Bergepanther.

YBsSbFg.jpg

And here is the upgrade set by Voyager.

hwmViLf.jpg

So here goes......I'll post when I can..

all the best

Simon.

• Like 16

Knowing your work this should be good. I did have to smile though at the bit about there not being too many parts in the kit...............and then I saw the etched set.:gobsmacked:

Good luck with that Simon, and try not to feed the carpet monster.

John.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

16 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Knowing your work this should be good. I did have to smile though at the bit about there not being too many parts in the kit...............and then I saw the etched set.:gobsmacked:

John.

Seconded! I just looked at the VoyagerModel 35569 manual... The word "impressive" in this case says little 

Vytautas

• Like 2

Good luck with that etched set ,my eyesight and arthritis means i can only build straight from the box ,thatvis why i love to see work such as yours ,good luck  

• Like 2

On 1/3/2021 at 12:20 PM, Stef N. said:

I will look forward to watching this unfold. Should be a doozy. All the best Simon.👍

HI STEF, and cheers......I hope so too.....there's a lot of opportunity to enhance here and there, outside of the PE set.

On 1/3/2021 at 1:06 PM, robw_uk said:

that looks very nice - and love seeing your PE work...

CHEERS ROB, and Happy New Year. haven't seen you a lot recently......and glad to have you along. I'm not sure if I'll finish in one go as it's going to be tough to resist starting the KT when it arrives........:think:..

On 1/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, Bullbasket said:

John.

Yeah, it suddenly dawned on me John when I looked on the actual instruction sheet on Scalemates.....at least the kit parts are simple and few in number....:smile:, I'll do  my best not too loose too many. One reason I went for the PE was that I was after a barrel, and one came with the set....so why not...:laugh:

On 1/3/2021 at 1:32 PM, Jasper dog said:

This should be good, very much in the BBC manner..."inform educate entertain"

Good luck!

I'm not WOKE enough mate for the BBC..:laugh:...maybe Quest Channel.....:like:......I'll do my best, and take pics the best I can. The biggest plan is to make the hinges from tube for the flip out armour on the corners.....

On 1/3/2021 at 2:13 PM, vytautas said:

Seconded! I just looked at the VoyagerModel 35569 manual... The word "impressive" in this case says little 

Vytautas

Yeah, I think the most problems Vytautas is the FLAK pe, looks very daunting.........:sad:

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Good luck with that etched set ,my eyesight and arthritis means i can only build straight from the box ,thatvis why i love to see work such as yours ,good luck  

Cheers Homer......glad to have you along......I have the same issue as regards eyesight, I could be without my magnifier lamp.I even use it to read the instruction.....:drunk:

• Like 2

On 1/4/2021 at 8:13 AM, Hamden said:

I'm in - I love a @Redcoat2966 build always learn something new with your builds

Stay safe      Roger

Thanks Roger, glad to have you along mate....as I said above to Rob...can't promise I'll complete in a full uninterrupted build....once that KT arrives :laugh:

3 hours ago, Longbow said:

Hey, Simon, have you seen this one ? ;)

spacer.png

Nice looking box art, I have to agree. I can't speak anymore highly of Border Model. I have their first kit 001 the Panzer IV....really, really nice fit and quality, as good as Tamiya any day. I imagine this is only available in Asia at present as is their new Tiger 1 Early Version. To be honest, I'm only building this Tamiya version as I got it really cheap and I have some weathering effects I've been watching on Night Shift.... inspired me to give some ago. .......you thinking of getting it Lee?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redcoat2966 said:

I'm not WOKE enough mate for the BBC..:laugh:...maybe Quest Channel.....:like:......

Funnily enough I can't imagine there's much overlap between the woke community and armour modellers/enthusiasts...funny that!:hmmm:

I was meaning in the traditional Lord Reith tradition, the only DG of the BBC of note!

Sure you must remember him?? :whistle:

As Lee @Longbow mentioned that new Border model's Mobelwagon looks nice.

However I certainly won't be ordering anything from overseas for the foreseeable with the latest issue over HMRC and importing stuff...

Could be a pain..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Longbow said:

I may well get it once it's out, Simon....

Is that Tamiya kit a new one, or the old kit rebooted ?

I think it's made in 1999........the chassis I would imagine is a re-work with new parts of the late 70's 4 barrelled 20mm Mobelwagen

13 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Funnily enough I can't imagine there's much overlap between the woke community and armour modellers/enthusiasts...funny that!:hmmm:

I was meaning in the traditional Lord Reith tradition, the only DG of the BBC of note!

Sure you must remember him?? :whistle:

As Lee @Longbow mentioned that new Border model's Mobelwagon looks nice.

However I certainly won't be ordering anything from overseas for the foreseeable with the latest issue over HMRC and importing stuff...

Could be a pain..

Yeah, something tell's me we are bunch with our feet firmly on the ground.....and yes again on the import problems. I only get small stuff now off AliExpress......had an £11 charge for a kit from Asia........I'll wait from now on until released in the UK. There again, my stash will last me years.....

especially at the rate of speed I build  :laugh:..... and Awoman to that.......

....oooop's!...sorry Darryl, went a bit WOKE on you there....Amen to that :like:

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Redcoat2966 said:There again, my stash will last me years.....

especially at the rate of speed I build  :laugh:..... and Awoman to that.......

....oooop's!...sorry Darryl, went a bit WOKE on you there....Amen to that :like:

“Ish Hokay to be Voke... Simon ;) “

spacer.png

• Haha 3

Afternoon all.

PE set arrived and got straight into it. Concentrated mostly on the main chassis. Started on the interior compartment ammo and tool box's and what I suppose are inspection hatches for the engine and transmission.

lgm3WkR.jpg

Then onto the exterior lower chassis.

I decided to upgrade the rear mud flaps with mock hinges, springs and retaining rod. All the weld beads needed have been done at rear on spare wheel holders, grab handles and rear bulkhead. I even had to weld lines for the scratch towing pintle which was supplied complete with the kit.......

6f5r90u.jpg

One area of the Voyager PE set that wasn't supplied were the side vent covers. I had to use a set I had left over from a Border Model recently build. The fastening clips welded above were referenced in the VM instructions; but not supplied......this is what they looked like in reality.....

cxpmVWu.jpg

So dug up some from spares parts box........ I still have to build the small little swing clips.

QGCNxgZ.jpg

Some work at the front. All armour has been textured where required.....along with cast parts. Still working on enhanced hinged front mudguards on both sides and finalising the tools.

IWQefHp.jpg

In looking closer, I've decided also to change the chain put on the pistol port plug to finer PE one.

fgFaPJx.jpg

That's all for now. Hope some more after weekend, early next week.

Simon.

• Like 18

Can only echo what Lee and Roger have said,  great start, lovely neat,  precision work.

What have you used to add the texture to the front plates?

Atb

Darryl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Can only echo what Lee and Roger have said,  great start, lovely neat,  precision work.

What have you used to add the texture to the front plates?

Atb

Darryl 

HI DARRYL.....I started with liquid cement to rough up the surface, then a coat of Mr Surfacer 500, working it until was roughed up.....then once dry, a slight sanding with very fine sand paper....i use a buffing sander from a nail bar.....very smooth, just to take of the high points and create the rolled surface common on German armour.

Simon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1