Panther A early

dov

Hallo again

This will become a WIP about a Panther A an early one, in 1/35, the basic kit from Takom. I use the Friul metal track, due to the fact that the plastic single link and segments do not appear so good, when assembled.

I use the full interior kit, to show all details. When finished, I will open the front hatches and maybe the central rear hatch for the engine compartment.

Today I am not sure about two details. The shock absorber, I assume it is, which color did they have? The interior hull at the bottom is advised with hull red. Is it really so correct?

The colors for the grenades is not sure for me. Brass cartridge? Or substitution material?

Does anyone have a color photo from the engine? I can guess. In museums the photos I found are to my opinion far from real.

Well, If anyone has some suggestions, welcome, I would be glad about it.

Consider, my field are aircrafts, this is a sidestep.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy modelling

• Like 8

Hello dov,
this looks like a very detailed replica of the Panther. 
Have been looking into the box visiting the LHS a couple of times but landed up with the ICM King Tiger instead.
So I am facing similar questions as yourself and have been browsing the net for information.

As usual Google is your friend and foe...

Her is a link to Mr. Byrdens research for the painting of the interiors of the Tiger tank.
http://tiger1.info/EN/Hachette-Inside-Colours.html
This is the Tiger info site but my understanding is that this is correct also for the Panther.

Looking at the instructions for your kit I notice this is a bit mix and match, those shock absorbers are painted both Elfenbein (EB) and Red Primer (RP).
I could not tell with certainty what is correct but here is a link to Toadmans Tank Pictures and a walkaround:
http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/panther_106.jpg

With regards to the shells housings / cartridges my understanding from multiple articles and postings on the web is that the these were manufactured in both steel and brass.
Bellow an article by Dan Mouritzsen on Missing Lynx:
http://missing-lynx.com/library/german/flak2_dmourtizsen.html

And the engine then... well I have seen them in a grayish blue, very much like the gear housing in this picture, also found on Toadmans site:
http://www.toadmanstankpictures.com/panther_114.jpg 

This is in line with the restoration works on the Tiger 131 at Bovington, their Maybach can be seen if you scroll down a few pages:
https://blog.tiger-tank.com/tanks/part-viii-the-final-stages/

I know that you have pointed out the shortcomings of the museum pieces but I thought you same as me can find some food for thought in these links.

I am sure fellow members of the forum will correct any or all of my comments above :)

Until then, good luck with your build and Happy Modelling 2021!

Zack 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hallo

Zack: Thank you very much for your effort!

Today I intended to build up basic hull, with torsion spring, gearbox and shock absorber. Not assembled before gluing. I had to unglue one part in the front to install the gearbox properly.

In addition, to assembly all separately, I had to rethink. Almost impossible due to brisk fitting. Dry fitting showed me, it is better to assembly first. Spending some more time in masking, instead of repairing the paint afterward again.

The track links are finished in sequences of 20 x 8 and 8 x 2.

So far. Next time more!

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hallo just to show the main difference at the front of the hull:

Which allowed the installation of the gear box at the Bergepanther and not at the regular Panther.

It was also for me a reply, to see the difference!

Happy modelling

Hi, Dov.

I'm doing basically the same kit - Takom's Ausf.D Panther.  Here's mine:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235083223-panther-ausfd/&tab=comments#comment-3909363

Here are some references and threads I have used to get the details and colors right:

Littlefield Panther restoration

Panther A interior walkaround

About the ammo

Technical changes and other stuff

Kristjan

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hallo

Thank you vaoinas.

Now, I went some steps further. Because of my knowledge from Bergepanther, I did mostly dry fit today with basics. Here I have to point out, that I cut of both tension newels. Because of complication at the final assembly of the rear wall. To be very carefully and rethinking each step twice is important, otherwise you get lost with installation of the engine at the end of it. Thinking forward and backward and choosing your way. Do not stick 100% at instructions.

The drive chain wheel is free to rotate; otherwise it is problematic to install the metal tracks. I do not install the tension axle now, later on, but after installing the track I will fix it. Not earlier at all! You create a mess otherwise!!!!!!

Well, you see some parts prepared and my track links in sequences.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Happy modelling

• Like 5

Hallo

Now the next steps are all wheels. To paint and assemble. Check out if there is enough clearance.

Now some interior parts like the gear box and the drive shafts. Seats and floors. Also some equipment racks with boxes, grenades etc. All left empty to see the gluing position.

Well, the rear bulkhead, here attention not to forget small parts to add before installation. The rear walls parallel to the hull, here attention to check the rear tension axle! And the overall fit with the rear wall for good overall fit. If all is assured to glue the two walls and adding afterward the two horizontal side plates from rear to front.

With the rear wall dry fitted to let the tank now for a rest over weekend.

Next time I will make my grenades. All. Spraying and decaling. All the storage racks too.

My luck now was the Bergepanther, which caused me to be very careful with the rear walls altogether!

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 7

Hallo

Some steps forward. To get the engine installed. It is a very tricky assembly. Since some drawings of instructions are not very clearly shown. The angle of view is in one case that way, that a piping is shown like a distorted something to guess. They never change the angle, to show parts properly. To exclude errors.

Anyway, the rear wall I put in place. And glued it. After this I took the track chain and put it on. The idler wheel I grinded a lot on the backside, to achieve a slackly fit.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

You are pretty fast with yours,

6 minutes ago, dov said:

To get the engine installed. It is a very tricky assembly. Since some drawings of instructions are not very clearly shown.

Talking about my experience so far, I have assembled the main parts of the engine block and dry fitted it to the engine compartment.

And even though it sits there pretty tight, it seemed pretty straightforward to me.

Kristjan

Coming together nicely.

The only thing is they didn't store different types of ammo mixed up this way.

Every shelf or bin was to hold only one type of shells.

That's because in the action, the loader needed to get the proper ammo real fast, so he needed to know exactly, where to get it.

Edited by vaoinas

Hallo

The only thing is they didn't store different types of ammo mixed up this way.

I thought about it. You are right for sure!

Thank you so much for your links!

Do you have any idea, when the interior base paint minium, which is like hull red,

necame the bottom top color for interior? Or was ist always that way?

I asume not, since the paint is poison.

Happy modelling

12 hours ago, dov said:

Hallo

Do you have any idea, when the interior base paint minium, which is like hull red,

necame the bottom top color for interior? Or was ist always that way?

I asume not, since the paint is poison.

Well, I'm not sure if I get your question right, but if you're asking, when they changed the interior bottom color from grey-green 
to red-primer, then it happened around the very end of 1942. But the transition from one color to another probably didn't happen suddenly but took time.

Cheers,

Kristjan

Yes, you got my question right.

So I may assume, it was a lack of color and a reduction of working hours on the hull.

So the A version, which was not the first version one, is exactly after the transition in working process.

Perfect.

Thank you.

Happy modelling

Hallo

The hull is closed. All interrior finished.

All tools and spare parts on the hull fixed.

The turret is missing now!

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 5

Why didn't you use the decals on the instrument panel?

Oh yes, I forgot simply.

First I did painting and afterward I simply forgot it!

Do you knoiw how the front hatch originally looks like in open position?

Is it lifted upward for clearance and smooth opening?

Happy modelling

Thank you Vaoinas.

Well, it is done.

I did not paint every detail inside the turret.

Actually it looks good, to my opinion.

For the first time, I did not take off all the tools before applying the camo.

After base color on the hull I put all the tools on after they also got base coloring and sprayed the camo afterward.

I saw different photos, both ways. I think, next time I will do it separately again.

Happy modelling

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1