Hawker Tempest of Wing Commander Evan "Rosie" Mackie, Wing Co of 122 Wing RAF at the end of WW2.

One I started earlier in the year as part of the Journeys End GB but didn't get finished after some paint misadventures, so it got flipped over to a WiP thread here. A feature of the thread was the discussion with Andy @Silver Fox, something which made it most enjoyable for me as I'd long enjoyed Andy's input & companionship & found his untimely passing toward the end of September very upsetting, another reason why I let this slide when there was so little to do, however, recently I got on with completing it & here it is.

I'm dedicating this build to Andy, thanks for your friendship, company & love of things Kiwi, I'm very sorry I never got the chance to discuss these & other things with Andy personally.

Steve.

DSCF3127

DSCF3128

DSCF3129

DSCF3132

DSCF3133

Sorry for the blur on this one.

DSCF3134

A close up added to show the modification I made to the kit radiator intake, an in progress photo can be seen in the WiP here.

There is a reason I don't normally do close ups. :)

DSCF3155

• Like 66
  • Thanks 1

Very nice Steve,.... great subject and well executed,..... Mackie was one hell of a fighter pilot and leader too.

I had the pleasure of knowing Andy and he was a lovely bloke,..... very kind and so enthusiastic,..... a thoroughly warm personality and his death knocked me for six too,...... I had a really good chat with him at the Bolton Show last year and that is how I shall remember him,..... dayglow coloured fleece jacket and all! 

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A terrific looking Tempest, Steve, and fitting tribute.  Is it the Academy kit? I was just about to purchase one from Hannants only to find out it's currently out of stock.  Bit of a coincidence as I was planning on building Mackie's aircraft from when he was commander of 80 Sqdn (being an RAF/Commonwealth squadron numberplate junkie).

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2021 at 2:38 AM, Meatbox8 said:

Is it the Academy kit?

It is the Airfix boxed version of the Heller kit. No such an easy build as the Academy I'd imagine but slightly better shape by all reports.

On 1/4/2021 at 2:40 AM, Meatbox8 said:

P.S.  Do you happen to know why Mackie's nickname was 'Rosie'?

It was something to do with his naturally florid complexion from memory.

Steve.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

It is the Airfix boxed version of the Heller kit. No such an easy build as the Academy I'd imagine but slightly better sharp by all reports.

It was something to do with his naturally florid complexion from memory.

Steve.

Thanks Steve.  A great job on a pretty old kit.  Thanks for the info on Rosie's name. 

• Like 1