Civilian Fokker Dr1 mail plane in 1/48

In the club we had a Fokker challenge. Build the Eduard 1/48 Fokker DR1. I don't build in 1/48 but I got myself an Revell boxing of the kit and dived in to the unknown.

dr1utm_110.JPG

This plane was used by DLR in mail runs between January 1919 and February 1923 but for some reason it didn't get scrapped with the rest of the warplanes after the Versailles treaty.

dr1utm_111.JPG

28/17 was displayed at the Deutsches Luftfahrt Museum in the 1930's. Now repainted to look like Manfred von Richthofen's plane.

dr1utm_112.JPG

It was later used in the 1938 movie Pour le Mérite and it is rumoured that it had crashed sometime after the movie.

dr1utm_113.JPG

I normally stay away from this scale, but I found that WW1 planes in this scale are rather nice.

dr1utm_104.JPG

As I was  building it without weapons I needed to build to build a simple fuel tank as it was visible with the guns gone.

Edited by Orso
  • Like 22

That is really interesting, I never knew about this so thanks for the info, a quick google brought up some photos of the real thing.

It looks rather attractive in overall silver, did you make your own decals?

Cheers

John

Yes I did my own decals for it. It is a very small plane. I was going too look at it to see if I ever did the wires on it but could not find the model. 

I found it when I realized that the small plane on a shelf wasn't a 1/72 plane but the 1/48 I was looking for. (I never did the wires)