1/16 Orc Bust

Crayons

So, started this guy mid resumption of work on the Vash bust after realising it had been in my stash about as long as Vash had. From a quick look online I think it is based on the WarCraft series, more specifically WarCraft III and it is a fairly simple bust. Casting for a recast is very crisp and detailed with only one air bubble and two mould lines. Parts fit, okay, the upper and lower teeth requiring the most work. First off, RANDOM WEB IMAGE of the assemble bust.

spacer.png

Immediate issue, my fault, not the casting, broke the section that goes over the timber and teeth pauldron, which in hindsight, wasn't a bad thing as I thought it was to long anyway. Cut the pyramid pieces off, got out the heat gun and softened/moulded a length of 2mm thick styrene as a replacement. Textured the styrene to sort of/kind of give a rough armour texture.

spacer.png

spacer.png

One thing I definitely didn't like were the danish pastry looking things on the steel pauldron and the few on the gorget, so they were going next. Decided that I liked the pyramid looking pieces on the other pauldron so I decided to replicate them in green stuff. Left the gorget devoid of details over than to give a rough texturing.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The overall body detail on the bust is really rather lacking. So I got to thinking about adding armour. Now this is an Ork, not like he would have state of the art plate armour and one of his pauldrons is made from wood so lets lower our expectations a little. Looked around online at various stages of armour evolution and settled on plated armour. Measured and cut some styrene and punched out some rivets for a few test pieces.

spacer.png

Happy with how it looked (plates measure 4x6x0.25mm and the rivets are 0.7mm punched from a drink can) I proceeded to sanded off the disc on the front and the ugly monstrosity on the back.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

A few moments later......

spacer.png

For ease of fitting the plates I removed the parts of his beard that came down over the gorget. Put the plates in place and then I'll resculpt the beard using my limited sculpting skills, which I am the first to admit, are rubbish.

An eternity later.....

spacer.png

To break the spiral into insanity, I didn't bother covering the sections under the pauldrons mainly because you wouldn't see them and I was totally over small plates and even smaller rivets. Also decided to do a quick colour test on the pauldron. Steel and bronze, well, Vallejo say it is bronze. Looks like brass to me, which I am not a fan of.

spacer.png

Test assembly, which I forgot to photograph (sorry) looked good with the exception of the head. It was very ordinary. Thus, time to put my rubbish sculpting skills to use again. He needs a top knot.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's where I have left it. More to follow.

Comments and criticisms are always welcome and thanks for looking.

• Like 12

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the lack of updates. Magic smoke escaped from my computer. Hair is finished, well as finished as my skills will allow.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also started on the paint work. The "Vallejo bronze" I plan on using as a base colour to then patina the hell out of it. I want this guy and his armour to be old. Hence the rust.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

As always comments and criticism is welcome.

• Like 6

That all looks rather impressive, the rust looks spot on! The hair looks great to as far as i can see. Given the state of his armour i suppose he's not to fussy about personal hygiene either, so i try not to imagine what his actual hair would look like:)

Despite it being 44° here today with 91% humidity, got some time to paint the tree stump base for the ork bust. Sorry the paint is glossy, had to add a litre or four of retarder to stop the paint from drying on my brushes.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The stump has little runes carved into it on three points of the stump, plan is to do them as a glowing (attempt) green.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

The stump has finally dried and my vague attempt at the runes has been finished. Gave it a light grey wash to mute down the wood tones(?) some. Not sure if I like the effect.

spacer.png

Bronze patina also finished. However it doesn't really match the picture in my head.

spacer.png

The old bronze look feels like it is missing something, not sure what though. Suggestions anyone?

Started on the rust work for the armour and blocked in some basic colour.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Not sold on the green I used, kind of looks like a large lime with teeth.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Finally happy with the skin tone. Photos are rubbish however I did just dump it on the long disused outdoor table so miracles can't be expected to happen from such lazy prep work.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still have some tweaks to do on the eyes and mouth, but I am happy now that it doesn't look like an angry lime with teeth.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, rockpopandchips said:

Really like what you have done to him.

Thanks Rock. Been a chore painting his skintone. Must have tried four different greens for the base tone only to strip them all off as they didn't seem quite what I was after. Then my airbrush decided it was time to permanently retire after nearly 20 years of service, so had to buy a new one of those and then wait an age on the postal service to deliver it.

• Like 1

Great work, always good to see stock resin modified to suit your own tastes.

I like looking at builds outside my own comfort zone, as you see so many other interesting techniques!

What did you use to punch the rivets? RP toolz set or?

He reminds me of some managers I used to work for............

Malc.

On 12/16/2021 at 12:15 AM, Malc2 said:

Great work, always good to see stock resin modified to suit your own tastes.

I like looking at builds outside my own comfort zone, as you see so many other interesting techniques!

What did you use to punch the rivets? RP toolz set or?

He reminds me of some managers I used to work for............

Malc.

Yes, the RP Toolz rivet set. In hind sight, I should used the soft aluminium printers sheets that I have instead of the aluminium from a drink can as some of the rivets didn't seem to form properly which I can only assume was caused by the drink can material being rather rigid.

• 1 month later...