Matchbox 1/72 Gladiator With Improved Cockpit

In the mail today came the first of two 1/72 Gladiators by Matchbox, and on the way is a Microscale sheet that covers Gladiators and Furies. While paint dried on the top of the Walrus, I got to work. From the spares bin came a CMK resin seat for a P-40 and a control stick from a Hasegawa Ki-46, and these were promptly added alongside some inaccurate-but-better-than-nothing sidewall framing. An equally inaccurately shaped instrument panel as added to the back side of the parts that form the top of the nose. In the coming days the proper interior paints will arrive and work will continue. For now, it looks like this: https://www.flickr.com/photos/112759894@N05/50793640181/in/dateposted-public/ 

I likely won't spend any more time detailing the cockpit / adding the radio rack behind the pilots seat as I doubt what little I have done will be seen anyways. This first Gladiator will be finished in the kit provided scheme of an aircraft from No.73 (Fighter) Squadron at RAF Station Digby in 1938. The second will use an option from the Microscale sheet.

That's all the progress so far.

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 3

After some more work today, the fuselage was closed up, and the wings and tail surfaces have been added.

Gloster Gladiator WIP

After the wing struts are added, painting will begin.

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Homer said:

Excellent work so far ,looking forward to seeing the finished models. 

6 hours ago, Deroonenator said:

Aah great! Nice work.
*stored for future reference 😉

Thank you both! The first coat of paint went down this morning and the second will follow early tomorrow. Hopefully I will be applying decals by this time on Friday.

9 hours ago, TempestV said:

I've always liked the Matchbox Gladiators, it really is a gem considering it is from 1973!

Yours looks really nice :) 

It really is a surprisingly nice kit, but I think I prefer the Heller offering with a slightly better cockpit and one piece lower wing, though the emptiness on this one did give me a nice chance to practice scratch building.

Last night, decals went on to the top side of the Gladiator, and look like this:

Gloster Gladiator

Sadly, the scheme I had wanted to use, from a Microscale sheet, shattered as soon as it left the paper, and so the kit decals were used instead. They didn't settle the best, but as I didn't have any decal softener, that is how they will remain. This morning, decals went on to the bottom of the wing, and the spray lacquer is currently drying. Next time you see this Gladiator will be in the RFI threads.

Thanks all,

Tweener

• Like 5