RCAF Ventura Target Tug, Ford Flivver and Vampire now Finished.

Hi all

Happy New Year to you all

I have wanted to concentrate on some twin engined Aircraft such as a Beaufighter and Mossie, Oxford, but  I thought I would start with a couple I have wanted to do for quite a while.  A Lockheed Ventura Target Tug and a Royal Navy Avro Anson Radar Trainer.  These are all yellow (apart from some black stripes on the TT) and as I brush paint,  I may be setting myself up for some serious brushwork.

The Ventura is the nice Revell kit and I will be using the lovely  Aviaeology Venturas in Canada 4 decal sets.  I shall be modelling one of the earlier machines serial 2222 with the all over black stripes.

spacer.png

And the other is the Special Hobby Avro Anson Mk1 

spacer.png

For this one I will use the Flightpath Photo Etch set and the Radar pod will be taken from the Special Hobby 1/48 Fairey Firefly Mk.V.

A start has been made on the Ventura.   The glazing and Bombay has been added to the fuselage halves , the doors will be closed so not too worried about the bay internals. Nose has been glued together and glazing added which will all be painted over.

Guns are deleted from this type and gun troughs plated over.

spacer.png

I have to drill the blanked of Port hole on the port side fuselage for the observation blister which I have nicked from the SH Airspeed Oxford. 

Cockpit components removed from trees and the rear bulkhead for the cockpit cut  to what it should be. 

spacer.png

I have asked for some information on the type in the cold War section such as tge correct type of winch (C5) image and details or the main rear cabin if anyone has any info I would be grateful. 

Thanks for looking 

Chris

• Like 15

7 hours ago, fubar57 said:

Good start. I wish those trainer decals had been released a lot earlier. As it is, I finished mine as the RCAF version in the kit

Thanks they are very nice, I did originally want the Saddleback scheme aircraft for Op Polar Bear  as that is a very striking scheme, but could not  find them anywhere,  I emailed Aviaeology but never heard back from them so decided on the TT instead. 

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

A couple of great choices to start the year - will follow with interest!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger,  good to have you along I will try and do a few Twins during the year!!! Oooeeeerr

Chris

Good choice of subjects mate,...... I have built a few Ventura`s over the years and if the WIP are of any use,... also,.... PM me your e mail addy and I`ll send you some interior pics of the Ventura;

This 1/72nd thread might be of interest for the rear cabin info?;

d

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Ooh, nice; the Anson appears in my Dad’s logbook during his FAA Observer training, so you definitely have my attention

Thanks Ex-FAAWAFU,  that's brilliant,  the Anson is going to be NK941 code 603 , there is a cracking piccie if her in flight on t'internet but not sure who to credit it too at mo. Good to have you along. 

Chris

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Been doing a bit on this one, nose and tailplanes assembled.  Nose glazing covered up so covered in doped linen as the Op Polar Bear GR-V  not sure if correct or not, or whether replaced for solid nose or not will only be seen if anyone peers through the chin window. Initially I assembled it thinking it was painted over however I found out this was incorrect so took it apart and painted the interior and had to make a new window from a CD case. 

spacer.png

Frame around window painted and the cockpit floor painted with right hand seat assembled and installed. Bulkhead behind pilot corrected with square rod also

spacer.png

Tail planes undercoated in Dark Earth 

spacer.png

These goodies from Quickboost arrived  via the big H.

spacer.png

Thee teardrop blister window is from the Special Hobby Airspeed Oxford kit. 

Wings are together and will clean up and start working on the cabin interior .

Thanks for looking. 

Chris

• Like 8

Little bit more done i have been mainly painting yellow enamels as you can see. The engine is not connected to this build, it belongs to a Faiey Flycatcher and have been cleaning it up in between bouts of yellow 

Cockpit sub assemblies done and ready for a wash when I do it.

spacer.png

Wings painted  nacelles on done just being tidied. Another diversion project in the backround to keep Mojo levels up whilst I paint yet more yellow.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

Chris

• Like 9

Coming together nicely Chris - I don't envy you painting all that yellow! Even prop tips give me the heebies 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

Smart start Chris - and a pleasing blend of subjects! 👏

Good luck for this.

Thanks Tony  I hope you are well,  I  have wanted to do these for ages and finally bit the bullet. 

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Coming together nicely Chris - I don't envy you painting all that yellow! Even prop tips give me the heebies 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, starting to get there now, tidied the nacelles and had their first yellow coats, I think after painting all the yellow it might send me round the bend 🤪. Especially after the second one too!!! The trouble with brush painting is it does take a lot of coats. Tailplanes are done after 5 coats or was it 6, see i am losing it already!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Tony  I hope you are well,  I  have wanted to do these for ages and finally bit the bullet. 

Thanks Roger, starting to get there now, tidied the nacelles and had their first yellow coats, I think after painting all the yellow it might send me round the bend 🤪. Especially after the second one too!!! The trouble with brush painting is it does take a lot of coats. Tailplanes are done after 5 coats or was it 6, see i am losing it already!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

Good idea undercoating in DE too - another top tip for me to steal!!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Good idea undercoating in DE too - another top tip for me to steal!!

Hi Roger, It was Mark's suggestion .  The thinned yellow took a some of it off as I painted the first yellow coat, I should have sealed it in Klear first.  If you're airbrushing though I will work very well I imagine. 

6 hours ago, mark.au said:

Somehow missed the start of this one but fully on board now

Hi Mark, thanks,  not missed much at the mo, just me being sent round the twist painting lots of yellow🤪

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

On 1/23/2021 at 6:29 PM, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Chris

I stumbled across this yesterday and really enjoyed reading through this!  Great subject choices and beautiful work going on.  Keep up the great work buddy, looking might impressive already!

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony  thanks fella, good to gave you along, although my work will not be as neat as yours.  

Thanks fella

Chris

• Like 1

In the backround of the bottom image posted previously is a small Model which is a diversion/ Mojo keeper upper build.  I like to have a few on the go at a time so if the old mojo gets stuck I can work on another, in this case a diversion from brush-painting acres of trainer yellow. 

I started this as a simple build and it really is quite a lovely little kit. It's the KP 72nd scale  Piper Pawnee.  I wasn't going to show this apart from with an RFI however I am quite pleased with it so far and so decided to add some further enhancements. 

Fuselage halves go together well after mating faces sanded and very little filler required, cockpit  goes together well.

spacer.png

Front panel added, nicked one of the diamonds from SWMBO rings for the landing light, don't tell her!!!

spacer.png

The rear lower fuselage is solid yet on the photos I have seen this is cut off at an angle revealling the frame and rudder post, recreated with 0.33 mm brass rod that I use on my Locomotive builds, quite pleased with this.

spacer.png

Have no fear Ventura fans, work is still ongoing on the yellow beastie and the main wings are nearly done now.  I am not able to put off the fuselage interior much longer.

Thanks for looking in

Chris

• Like 10

1 hour ago, mark.au said:

That wing looks great!  I’m happy with a finish like that with an airbrush.

Thanks Mark,it's taken a lot of coats!!!

There is progress although no photos.  Realised the horizontal tailplanes are mainly black so will go over those.  

More yellow on wings and cowlings and engines had some prep.

Started a 72nd  Vampire FB.5 and added the canopy glazing to this little one

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris 

• Like 8

On 29/01/2021 at 09:21, bigbadbadge said:

Bit more done

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 

Chris

Coming together nicely Chris - that yellow looks superb!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Coming together nicely Chris - that yellow looks superb!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger , I am pleased with the yellow, but I must admit I did question myself half way through🤪

1 hour ago, Beard said:

The effort you put into painting the yellow wasn't wasted.

Thanks Simon can't wait to get some black stripes on the wings  just to take my attention away from the yellow.  Still got the Anson to go after this too!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 1