Airfix 1:24 Fleet Air Arm Hellcat F6F-5

Again thank you all for your kind words, never thought I would get this reception for the Hellcat! 😀

3 hours ago, Big Dave S said:

Very nice indeed.

Where do you put it though...?

Well I have offered it to my friend who inspired the markings and finish. If he doesn't have the room for it then I guess I will have to make a case for it! (or find someone else who does have room!)😆

Matt

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Angell328 said:

Again thank you all for your kind words, never thought I would get this reception for the Hellcat! 😀

Well I have offered it to my friend who inspired the markings and finish. If he doesn't have the room for it then I guess I will have to make a case for it! (or find someone else who does have room!)😆

Matt

I can't imagine him not being very keen.

(My wife has called a halt on my building more cabinets)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Big Dave S said:

I can't imagine him not being very keen.

(My wife has called a halt on my building more cabinets)

Yes, I don't think I am allowed to build the 1/24 Typhoon until after we have moved house in a few months time, alreay have 5 display cases and cabinates to pack away 🤦‍♂️

May get away with a few 1/48 fighters though 🤣

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Angell328 said:

Yes, I don't think I am allowed to build the 1/24 Typhoon until after we have moved house in a few months time, alreay have 5 display cases and cabinates to pack away 🤦‍♂️

May get away with a few 1/48 fighters though 🤣

A 1/24 Typhoon sounds fantastic!

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 2:41 AM, Baldy said:

Very nicely done Matt - excellent detailing and finish. For reference - what parts did you replace on the engine and where did you get them from?

cheers

Malcolm

Further to the info I gave, I thought you would be interested in a few pictures of the core and the issue with the airfix core.

Side by side comparison of the two parts

spacer.png

This shows as far as you can get the first first ring onto the airfix core without serious sanding and modification

spacer.png

The resin replacement allows the ring to just slide on with a nice snug fit

spacer.png

And final view of all the parts dry fitted to the core.

spacer.png

There is a slight change to the build order when using the resin core as it has some parts molded on that the plastic part are added on later. The Youtube video mentioned before and the ebay listing gives information on the step changes.

Hope this gives a bit more info for you all.

Matt

Edited by Angell328
double post
  • Thanks 1