Airfix 1:24 Fleet Air Arm Hellcat F6F-5

Hello All,

Latest one off the bench is Airfix's lovely 1:24 Hellcat. Painless build with only issue I encountered being the engine core being to large for the rings to slide onto. Luckily I found this out during prebuild research and manage to locate an aftermarket resin version. I hate to think the amount of sanding, shaving and swearing that would have happened otherwise!

As I started the build a friend of mine mentioned that his Grandad was on HMS Ruler and worked on the Hellcats and other FAA aircraft stored on board. HMS Ruler was the fleets resupply carrier, holding the spare aircraft to replace those damaged or lost in combat. Knowing this I couldn't resist finishing her as a FAA Hellcat, but one that was being prepped to move to another frontline carrier. This is why she is carrying a Sqn number but not a Sqn tail letter and also lightly weathered.

Hoping to surprise him with the finished aircraft, as I would rather she goes to someone to whom it would mean something personal.

Onwards to the finished article then. Painted with Tamiya, AK and Mr Color paints. Only after market items are the Master gun barrels and Top Notch Insignia paint masks.

Hope you enjoy the pictures as much as I enjoyed the build.

Cheers

Matt

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 68
  • Thanks 2

A true masterpiece! The high level of detail is amazing and you did an excellent paint job. I also love the idea of how you choose to personalize the markings of this Hellcat. 👏

Edited by 112 Squadron
  • Thanks 1

Very nicely done Matt - excellent detailing and finish. For reference - what parts did you replace on the engine and where did you get them from?

cheers

Malcolm

• Thanks 1

What a stunning model,...... congratulations....... what a great  tribute. I`ll hopefully start mine this year.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

Wow, many thanks to you all, I really wasn't expecting this response!

15 hours ago, Baldy said:

Very nicely done Matt - excellent detailing and finish. For reference - what parts did you replace on the engine and where did you get them from?

cheers

Malcolm

Malcome,

I found out about the issue from Nigel's Modelling bench channel on Youtube, he does a very detailed build and analysis of the good and bad points. He started producing the resin cores and I found mine on eBay. The video will explain more than I could on here.

9 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Quality, marvellous build and finish, and l love your very classy workbench!

Many Thanks, the modelling desk is an old roll top bureau as it allows me to roll the top down when I am away or we have guests and my clutter just disappears. Keeps the long haired Wing Commander Happy!!

6 hours ago, tonyot said:

What a stunning model,...... congratulations....... what a great  tribute. I`ll hopefully start mine this year.

Cheers

Tony

Cheers Tony, as I mentioned to Malcome above, if you haven't already seen about the engine core issue have a look at Nigel's Modelling Bench on YouTube, save a few pitfalls.

Again, Thanks for your comments. Must say I am quite chuffed with how this one has turned out.

Matt

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1