DC-2/3, DST, C-47/-48/-53, Dakota, Li-2, PS-84/L2D, BT-67 STGB

Col.

A Single Type Group Build dedicated to a true aviation icon in all its many forms. With over 16,000 produced and used worldwide for 8 decades now this one needs no further introduction but certainly deserves celebration.

1, @Col.

2, @Black Knight

3, @vppelt68

4, @Corsairfoxfouruncle

5, @dnl42

6, @zebra

7, @bootneck

8, @desert falcon

9, @TEMPESTMK5

10, @TonyOD

11, @Marklo

Edited by Col.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well If I can find a decent kit in 1/72 and turn it into an AC-47 Count me in. Might even do the Colombian version ? 🤔

Now this does sound interesting!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dnl42 said:

Of course I have to sign up for this. The DC-3/C-47 is my single favorite aircraft. So many choices here...

Glad to help and yes, there's such a variety of options, have a vague recollection of reading that the type was used by all but three countries in the world during its history :o 

9 hours ago, zebra said:

Count me in. I’ve got a couple of Airfix Dakotas in the stash and some half-baked ideas for them.

anyone know where I can find plans for an R4D-8/C-117D or a Conroy Tri-Turbo Three?

Forgot about those versions :doh: and they are some of the most interesting :speak_cool:

31 minutes ago, bootneck said:

Sounds like a fun GB and would give me the opportunity to build some DC-3's; C-47's and a Basler.

Mike

Sounds as if you've a few planned Mike :thumbsup:

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Sounds as if you've a few planned Mike :thumbsup:

Yes, plus a couple that I had forgotten, an AC-47 gunship and XC-47C floatplane; all to the wonderful scale of 1:144.

Mike

Just now, bootneck said:

Yes, plus a couple that I had forgotten, an AC-47 gunship and XC-47C floatplane; all to the wonderful scale of 1:144.

Mike

That is another couple of cool subjects Mike :speak_cool:  Are either of those kits or conversions?

The Basler will be a conversion from a Minicraft C-47 kit, I have one on the go at the moment and, hopefully, the one for the STGB will be an improvement based on lessons learned with this.

spacer.png

The others will be a mix of Welsh Models vacforms, Minicraft plastic and 3D printed resin kits; such as this civilian Dakota with full internal detail.

spacer.png

and the XC-47C floatplane.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bootneck said:

The Basler will be a conversion from a Minicraft C-47 kit, I have one on the go at the moment and, hopefully, the one for the STGB will be an improvement based on lessons learned with this.

spacer.png

The others will be a mix of Welsh Models vacforms, Minicraft plastic and 3D printed resin kits; such as this civilian Dakota with full internal detail.

spacer.png

and the XC-47C floatplane.

spacer.png

cheers,

Mike

Those do look interesting. With no suitable kit in the stash I've started looking for options on something a little less common such as the Li-2 or R4D but may need to ask you for recommendations...

This, I believe, would look different from most other builds in this STGB, a significant piece of Finnish aviation history. Biggest headache would be to first locate and then finish the ill-fitting MPM kit :hmmm:. Anyhow, a few pics from my visit to the Hanssin-Jukka hangar last summer:

2021-01-03_01-20-23

2021-01-03_01-19-56

More prototype information can be read here: http://www.hanssinjukka.fi

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

This, I believe, would look different from most other builds in this STGB, a significant piece of Finnish aviation history. Biggest headache would be to first locate and then finish the ill-fitting MPM kit :hmmm:. Anyhow, a few pics from my visit to the Hanssin-Jukka hangar last summer:

2021-01-03_01-20-23

2021-01-03_01-19-56

More prototype information can be read here: http://www.hanssinjukka.fi

That was a worthwhile read :) 

• Thanks 1

In an attempt to clear the last boxes post our move to Europe, I came across this.

0a31899334bfbcdfbaf6bb943660433e.jpg

Aviators will know that this is the equivalent of the Swiss army knife for navigators. I have no idea how old it is as I found it during a clear out of the basement at my old airline many years ago, but I like to think that the flight crew of a Swissair DC-3 would have had one in their flight bags 😉 

Anyways, I will likely build a Scandinavian Airlines System DC-3, or a RDAF Dakota, should this make it through the bunfight.

So please sign me up Col.

Thanks!

Johnny b 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, desert falcon said:

In an attempt to clear the last boxes post our move to Europe, I came across this.

0a31899334bfbcdfbaf6bb943660433e.jpg

Aviators will know that this is the equivalent of the Swiss army knife for navigators. I have no idea how old it is as I found it during a clear out of the basement at my old airline many years ago, but I like to think that the flight crew of a Swissair DC-3 would have had one in their flight bags 😉 

Anyways, I will likely build a Scandinavian Airlines System DC-3, or a RDAF Dakota, should this make it through the bunfight.

So please sign me up Col.

Thanks!

Johnny b 

What a cool find! That'd look great as the display base with a Swissair aircraft model flying over it.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Let´s not forget this! BUMP

Cheers fella :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, bootneck said:

Just waiting for a start date.  :tired:

We'll need a few more names before that happens :pray:

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Col

Please add my name to the list I have Airfix and Italeri kits in mys stash ..

Best Regards

Patrice

Good afternoon Patrice. Added you to the list :) Are you planning to do both as French subjects?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Col. said:

Cheers fella :thumbsup:

We'll need a few more names before that happens :pray:

Good afternoon Patrice. Added you to the list :) Are you planning to do both as French subjects?

Good morning Col

I don't know yet , I would like to build at least one of them as I already have a decals sheet for a french aircraft  ...

Best Regards

Patrice