Danish CF-104D #finished#

Dansk

3 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Actually past the painting stage and mostly done the decals, really do need to be doing more updates!

Thats a lot of progress. Let’s see some pictures young man :dog:

(With the emphasis on young)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

To be honest I don't know Paul, can't think of a GB that I can wrangle one into this year, other than this one of course and I'm struggling to get my Phantom moving (mojo not kit problems).

Craig, Nordic II.  Unless you’ve something more exciting for that GB. 😉

Chris 

• Like 1

I got a fair amount done on the kit today ‘working from home’.

After today’s earlier cockpit work, I removed the ejection pins from the exhaust nozzles. 

50829323756_c16b52d9a2_h.jpg

These were cleaned up further and painted matt black and joined up with the afterburner ring and turbine installation.

50828571713_80359931eb_h.jpg

The assembled cockpit tub was installed into the port fuselage, together with the main gear bay and the aforementioned engine assembly.

50829407822_f0b89cb9d5_h.jpg

Dry fitting the fuselage halves suggest perfect Tamiya levels of fit. 👌

(Which come to mention it has been the case with everything so far. What a great kit they have made here Craig @modelling minion

A definate mojo restorer if you need one after the Phantom.)

I painted a plethora of shiny bits too today in AK xtreme white aluminium with a matt black base, here’s a few...

50829407792_328e84f186_h.jpg

50829323716_bbe5d79e07_h.jpg

Thanks for reading!

• Like 8

Nice work Paul. I enjoy ‘working from home to’. 😀

Im building a single seat Kinetic 104 at the moment. It’s a lovely kit and although the older hasegawa kit is still nice this ones way ahead imho

James

• Like 1

8 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice work Paul. I enjoy ‘working from home to’. 😀

Im building a single seat Kinetic 104 at the moment. It’s a lovely kit and although the older hasegawa kit is still nice this ones way ahead imho

James

Agreed James..

2 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Paul,

Lovely work as usual. Looks like gorgeous kit. 

Ray

Cheers Ray, its recommended.

did you both see that Heller now have the kinetic kit for 2021...

(... and with what to my untrained eye looks like a C on the artwork but labelled a G)

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/heller-30520-f-104g-starfighter--1324595

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 2

Sorry Ray I thought you would find it of interest. :shrug:

The honeymoon period is a little bit over for the kinetic kit, but it’s still great.
The instructions don’t show the correct angle to reveal what you need to see in a number of cases, a minor thing but still...
and the intake trunks are blocked rather than being hollow to present the front end of the engine - I’ve coloured the plastic with a black sharpie to disguise that fact.

50835416333_66eb894488_b.jpg

The conical ‘intake ramps?’ are like this on Danish f-104’s..

50836143806_94561758e3_z.jpg

...So I’ve started on this...

50836225702_5a90a85022_b.jpg

The gear doors were given a tamiya black panel wash. I’ve left the tricky ejector pins in them as they wont be seen and are a pain to remove.

The fuselage is buttoned up now, the fit was generally ok and I’ve given it some ppp and performed some sanding and filling. A primer coat next will reveal it’s success rate.

50835416363_e2fa4c6a4f_b.jpg

50835416348_5894eb78ce_b.jpg

But the canopy glazing needs masking and installing beforehand. So i’ve made a start on this also...

50836143861_0651c8ff13_b.jpg

The HUD and instrument combing have been worked on. The blue HUD projector will die down - it is a mix of tamiya clear blue and gator grip clear glue (that ryhmes 😁). When it dries it will become more opaque, transparent but with a blue hue and glossy revealing the black paint below and therefore becoming subtler and darker. 

50835416403_49f6ef4899_b.jpg

I’ve made a draft of the exhaust nozzle, it’s a little to coloured right now so I will dull all this down to a more neutral and dirty conclusion.

50835416308_ec0e2a48a5_b.jpg

Thanks for tuning in ✌️

• Like 13

Looking really good Paul.

Looks like the fit is very good, I've never built one kit without the need for some filler somewhere.

I shouldn't worry about there being no engine face in the fuselage, you wouldn't be able to see it if there was one.

Interesting that Heller plan to release this kit, but don't be fooled by their slightly inaccurate looking box art, it is indeed a G as is the aircraft on the box art in USAF markings, though it was actually flown by Luftwaffe personnel whilst training in the US.

• Thanks 1

looks fantastic and I have learned a few things for my own F-104J build. Most prominent of these lessons is that I need to lift my game if this thing is 1/72 (as it appears to be!). How do you get your cockpit so clean and neat looking in that small scale? 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Looking really good Paul.

Looks like the fit is very good, I've never built one kit without the need for some filler somewhere.

I shouldn't worry about there being no engine face in the fuselage, you wouldn't be able to see it if there was one.

Interesting that Heller plan to release this kit, but don't be fooled by their slightly inaccurate looking box art, it is indeed a G as is the aircraft on the box art in USAF markings, though it was actually flown by Luftwaffe personnel whilst training in the US.

Thanks Craig. That tail fooled me on the heller box-art. Looks shorter than it is.

It will be interesting to see what decals they include, presumably USAF as one scheme of course.

5 minutes ago, bianfuxia said:

looks fantastic and I have learned a few things for my own F-104J build. Most prominent of these lessons is that I need to lift my game if this thing is 1/72 (as it appears to be!). How do you get your cockpit so clean and neat looking in that small scale? 

Thanks. It’s 1/48 though. I just have a knack of making my builds look clumsier and smaller scaled than they really are 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Dansk said:

presumably USAF as one scheme of course.

The USAF never actually operated the G, only the A,B,C and D. The ones in USAF markings were actually owned by Germany and flown by Germans but carried full USAF markings because they were based there to give access to better training conditions than could be found in Europe.

1 minute ago, modelling minion said:

The USAF never actually operated the G, only the A,B,C and D. The ones in USAF markings were actually owned by Germany and flown by Germans but carried full USAF markings because they were based there to give access to better training conditions than could be found in Europe.

Cool. How do you know all this stuff craig? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dansk said:

Sorry Ray I thought you would find it of interest.

Hi Paul,

Just the opposite. Great interest! In other words, another kit I want to build and yet oh so many great kits to do. A NMF Starfighter is definitely on the bucket list. Life is too short!

It is why I like the GB's, it focusses my attention on what next. I hope your Century series GB gets up - I would do two F-104 and F-105. I like all the Century Series, in particular, the Thud. I have had the Revell Monogram re-box Wild Weasel for many years and want to "go to town" on it before someone releases a better. In one respect, this is unlikely after the Hobby Boss attempt and the fact it's not a Bf-109G or Spitfire Mk.I 🙂. But, you never know. You can put me on the list.

But I digress, nice progress. The cockpit is excellent. I especially like the effect achieved on the coaming/HUD. As always, if you can get something to look this good in front of the camera lens, it must be brilliant with the naked eye. 

Ray

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Paul,

Just the opposite. Great interest! In other words, another kit I want to build and yet oh so many great kits to do. A NMF Starfighter is definitely on the bucket list. Life is too short!

It is why I like the GB's, it focusses my attention on what next. I hope your Century series GB gets up - I would do two F-104 and F-105. I like all the Century Series, in particular, the Thud. I have had the Revell Monogram re-box Wild Weasel for many years and want to "go to town" on it before someone releases a better. In one respect, this is unlikely after the Hobby Boss attempt and the fact it's not a Bf-109G or Spitfire Mk.I 🙂. But, you never know. You can put me on the list.

But I digress, nice progress. The cockpit is excellent. I especially like the effect achieved on the coaming/HUD. As always, if you can get something to look this good in front of the camera lens, it must be brilliant with the naked eye. 

Ray

Cool Ray.

Sorry i thought the original comment insinuated life’s too short to be concerned about that

but thankfully it was the complete opposite 😁

I’ll put your name down in the Century GB too it should be a fun one if it goes through the bun fight. 🤞

• Like 1

On 1/12/2021 at 1:02 PM, Dansk said:

I have the bang seats sorted pretty much sorted now. They don’t stand up well to macro photography but they look ok in reality.

50828052532_a9c7e9011b_k.jpg

Beware that this is not the type of Mk. 7 seat used in the Danish Starfighters. Ours had headrests with straight sides instead of bulged.

Jens

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jens said:

Beware that this is not the type of Mk. 7 seat used in the Danish Starfighters. Ours had headrests with straight sides instead of bulged.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention Jens.

I fear it’s a little late now though, I’m sealing up the canopies as we speak.

These two variants the kit caters for. Is it the upper variant that is correct?

I will have to live with the error. 
50850022451_6e4c6ce300_c.jpg

This evening I’ve been installing the metal piping around the cockpit glazing.

It’s painted gray in starfighters But I think I’ll give this a dry brush with a dark hue to give it a bit more depth.

50849595843_1a2d05872d_b.jpg

They can actually be seen externally as you can see in the top shot below.

50850318131_5bc87d4f42_b.jpg

The lower shot shows the front, centre and rear fixed glazing has been glued in place.

The opening canopy pieces I will fix shortly. The fit was great well done kinetic. 👍

I can see in the macro shots that I have a bit of clean-up to do on the glazing masking next.

• Like 5