Danish CF-104D #finished#

Dansk

Here’s my second build for this GB.

Before I start, we are moving house at the end of this month to a temporary residence before building a new house. So my new ‘modelling facilities’ previously ‘the shed’ are tbc currently so it may be that this build will be on a little hiatus, but let’s see how far I get here.

Ok this build is a hangover from the 2019 Shark Mouth GB.

I started building Eduards ‘Nato Fighter’ boxing of Hasegawas wonderful Starfighter in 1/48 for that GB, But it didn’t carry on further than joining the fuselage halves and then my enthusiasm and interest dwindled off. 

I reopened the box last week while digging into the stash for another interceptor candidate. That fuselage join was really badly made and the airbrakes where badly fitted, the ailerons were badly joined and basically it was a mess, no wonder I gave up.

Assessing it, its better to bin it and start again rather than investing umpteen hours polishing a t#%d.
I’ve developed a bit since then so hopefully this time around I’ll make a better job of it.

So that’s my plan. 

I’ll use all the eduard sexy bits from that nato boxing... it would be a shame to let those go to waste...

and this hasegawa kit is winging its way to me for the fresh new plastic...

I’ve built this Hasegawa starfighter before and it’s a great little kit.

spacer.png

(I was going to buy Eduard overtrees but with their storage fire this isnt possible.)

Theres a beautfiul seat from the Eduard Nato boxing....

50792514741_f33ff7bd35_k.jpg

....together with a bunch of PE, seatbelts etc and I’ll use the eduard decals for the Turkish aircraft. This airframe....

50792632892_02f179dded_k.jpg

I plan to make it subtly sunbleached like the bottom shot shows most clearly.

I was considering a Danish variant, but the danish green or grey schemes are just too boring, I need something more striking after the greys of my Tomcat build. You can see those decals here together with the Eduard salvage.

50792632952_f647b08f3c_k.jpg

So I can’t really do much until I get the Hasegawa plastic except I might start on that lovely seat.

Sorry for the long intro!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 9

Ooh, a faded Turkish Starfighter, nice subject choice Paul.

Of course if you get another those Danish decals will come in handy for Nordic II ;) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I do love a well used and faded Turkish Starfighter, but the kit you have ordered is a C and the Turks only used G's and S's Paul.

Shh, don't tell him yet, we may get another Starfighter out of him for this GB ;) 

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I do love a well used and faded Turkish Starfighter, but the kit you have ordered is a C and the Turks only used G's and S's Paul.

Pants. What’s the difference’s Craig?

• Like 1

Ok thanks for chiming in guys, appreciate its spotted before I went too far on it, yes those tails certainly are different.

Then i have a c for the stash and I need to order a new hasegawa f-104g! 

• Like 1

Perhaps there's enough unmolested bits remaining in your 'NATO Fighter' box to convert this one from C to G Paul? Or build the C here in one of its colourful schemes?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Perhaps there's enough unmolested bits remaining in your 'NATO Fighter' box to convert this one from C to G Paul? Or build the C here in one of its colourful schemes?

I’ve binned the travesty of a fuselage from the nato box Col, which includes the tail, so I think a new buy might be the only option, but theres a hasegawa g on offer right now so its ok. Maybe I do the C at the same time 😉

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Or you could just build the C.

If you want to build a camouflaged one then you could do it Taiwanese, or even a USAF one from either Vietnam or the Puerto Rico ANG.

Thats a nice idea Craig, that means sourcing decals and forgetting the nato box goodies.. hmmm

(like that seat that is a g, turkish-only version)

2 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

If you are going to buy another G though I suggest treating yourself to a Kinetic one, a superb kit and can be cheaper than the Hasegawa one.

Theres a 1/48 hasegawa g on sale for 20 euros, but most kinetics are double that price that I can find.
do you have a buying link for a kinetic g craig? That seat i have and the decals can still be used in the kinetic.

(wonder how it works with brexit now - if new taxes and customs things come into effect on importing from outside of the EU if i buy in the uk) 

• Like 3

You can never have enough Starfighters 😉

If you buy the Kinetic (T)F-104 kit you get a fuselage for a F-104G and one for a TF-104G. Maybe that will be of interest if you still got the wings.

If you need some more things like seats I build about 8 Starfighters so I can help you with some parts like the seat.

Edited by Lex77
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Lex77 said:

You can never have enough Starfighters 😉

If you buy the Kinetic (T)F-104 kit you get a fuselage for a F-104G and one for a TF-104G. Maybe that will be of interest if you still got the wings.

If you need some more things like seats I build about 8 Starfighters so I can help you with some parts like the seat.

That’s really kind of you, thanks so much 🙏

and Thank you craig and col for good ideas

I do have the wings, and engine nozzles, nose cone etc from the nato G so i guess I’d be lacking main wheel bays and air inlets, and maybe much more to also build the tf, this might get too confusing my head hurts. 🙃

but craig’s recommendation of getting the kinetic is interesting as that looks like a super kit reading the reviews and seeing the sprues now, but it starts getting expensive, but I could use the turkish decals and resin seat and make a super-nice job, gotta think about this...

all advice and opinions are welcome

whatever happens i think the C kit will be used as a C Variant in that kit’s decals either now or later.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thats a nice idea Craig, that means sourcing decals

I just happen to have both options in my stash if you want Paul.

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

but craig’s recommendation of getting the kinetic is interesting as that looks like a super kit reading the reviews and seeing the sprues now, but it starts getting expensive, but I could use the turkish decals and resin seat and make a super-nice job, gotta think about this...

It really is worth the money Paul, and I would follow Lex's suggestion of buying the F/TF boxing as it is the same price as the single option boxing and with a few spares and aftermarket bits already mentioned by lex you can build both a single and twin seat Starfighter from what is in the box.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Dansk said:

What’s the difference’s Craig?

Many, mate - rudder, wheels, seat, some panelling, cannon area, potentially different underwing pylons, and more.

Martin

• Thanks 1

I do love a Starfighter (about 10 in the stash still). Looking forward to whichever option you choose. Just remember at 48th right bang seat for the operator and date. Oh and right u/carriage doors. Tail is obvious. 

Chris

• Like 1

Interested to see this one, if you are still able to make the Turkish scheme. I'm currently building a TF in Turkish and the camouflage is almost identical, only the radome seems to vary depending on the individual airframe - some are all black, others have straight or wavy deliniation.

• Like 1

Ok chaps I’ll take the plunge and order a TF kinetic, if my wife asks ‘why are you buying even more model kits? you have loads’ then I’ll blame it on you.

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:
18 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thats a nice idea Craig, that means sourcing decals

I just happen to have both options in my stash if you want Paul.

Thanks Craig can I take you up on this? I have a bunch of unused goodies for various kits as an exchange/thank you, I can send you a list in a PM to see if anything fits your needs.

8 hours ago, Col. said:

Sounds as if you've a few Starfighters in your future Paul :D 

tell me about it.... Did I mention I have an italeri 1/32 in the stash too? 😄

Think I’ll be relying on everyone’s expertise with these builds.

• Haha 1

• Dansk changed the title to Turkish F-104G... and maybe a 104C
11 minutes ago, Dansk said:

I’ll blame it on you.

More than happy to take the flak for you mate.👍

13 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thanks Craig can I take you up on this? I have a bunch of unused goodies for various kits as an exchange/thank you, I can send you a list in a PM to see if anything fits your needs.

Of course you can mate, not a problem. Which of the two options are you interested in? I am happy either way.

16 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Did I mention I have an italeri 1/32 in the stash too?

No you didn't, you kept that one quiet! Which one have you got, as they do a C, a G and two seater.

6 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

Interested to see this one, if you are still able to make the Turkish scheme. I'm currently building a TF in Turkish and the camouflage is almost identical, only the radome seems to vary depending on the individual airframe - some are all black, others have straight or wavy deliniation.

There was a lot of variation in camouflage On these machines. Best, as always, to find an image of your target machine and go with that. 

Martin

• Like 1