Danish CF-104D #finished#

Dansk

23 hours ago, Col. said:

Excellent future subject choice Paul :thumbsup: It'll fit well in the Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB ;)

Erm, hope it's getting delivered to the correct address!?! If it helps send it to me and I can look after it for you :whistle:

Now it would be rude not to put my name down for that GB in the bunfight with such a perfect opportunity to build it and such a genuinely kind offer wouldn’t it? 😁

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well since my last update my family and I have moved to a temporary rented house until our new home building project will be completed.

As such the starfighter, and indeed all modelling, has been stalled with this first move.
Now we’re up and running again in my temporary ugly old caravan in the garden excellent state of the art ’modelling facilies’ with custom shelves and wonky old vw transporter seat ‘custom seating’  installed by yours truly 😎

50938874292_000d7a8b99_h.jpg

My wife thinks the whole set up is ridiculous but it’s comfortable and workable until the new property is complete and It was cheaper and warmer than a shed! 👍

Anyways...
The aircraft has had its final rescribing done, and i’ve treated it to pre-shading.
I think this particular airframe and its paintwork will greatly benefit form pre-shading. 

50938072853_5072c88567_h.jpg

50938072833_daf24bba4f_h.jpg

I’ve done it in a deep dark blue rather than black which when overpainted in a faded drab should produce a result similar to the reference (i think)

50938766061_e0dcaa1d19_h.jpg

The pre-shading I have tried to echo my subject’s weathering, well its a starting point for it.

50938072838_4823dd8d26_h.jpg
50938072798_4b4df1c173_h.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 14

Hi Paul,

I like your set up. I often think of scale modelling as an adrenalin sport - well decals for me anyway - first time though, I've seen the need for seat belts!

Ray

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Ray_W said:

Hi Paul,

I like your set up. I often think of scale modelling as an adrenalin sport - well decals for me anyway - first time though, I've seen the need for seat belts!

Ray

I had my eye on a car seat that was heated and had a massage facility. Hooked up to one of the caravans 12v power sockets that could have been awesome but it was getting expensive, nearly 30 pounds sterling 😂 the transporter seat i got for closer to 15. 👌

• Haha 3

Great to see your Starfighter up and running again Paul.

I think your caravan set up is great, though I think you should have gone for the heated seats, especially if it is anywhere near as cold in Denmark as it has been over here.

Your pre-shading is very good and I agree that the blue should work very well with the OD over the top.

• Thanks 1

Thank you chaps.
Yeah it’s pretty cold this year here craig too. Some -7 degree mornings of late and a snowstorm tonight.
I did an initial coat of green today on the f-104. I think it looks quite good, that blue pre-shade really worked well although the green is too colourful. It needs a white/grey filter i think next?

50947371542_fc8eb3cde5_h.jpg

50946571993_102d8bc06c_b.jpg

50946572038_c60db85aed_b.jpg

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 12

Thanks chaps.

Well, there’s been an adverse chalky white reaction to humbrols gloss varnish on my project.

50960518981_8b48c9b2b6_h.jpg

I was trying to seal in my paint work before decalling. I’ve had this happen once before: three or so years ago with the same product.
Same time of year too - I’m wondering if very cold temperatures / humidity do that to this varnish?

I usually use future but I decided to try the humbrol this time.
On a positive note the chalky white reaction actually fits with the faded look I was going for very well actually, looks quite interesting. 

50960623207_28e11fc154_h.jpg

50960519016_1a230027e7_h.jpg

But on top of this the custom Danish decals were a bit off: the tail flags were huge and the numerals a little big too, and the warning / rescue signage was innacurate to the photo reference. I ended up using half the custom set and half the hasegawa set so far to get the closest results.

50960522861_eb5e0c3219_h.jpg

So i’ve lost my mojo for this.

I’m currently debating whether to 
A. park this and return to it with more mojo in a KUTA later in the year
B. Fix it and continue
C. Bin it

I choose A for now.

• Sad 5

You've come too far and done too much good work Paul so I'm glad to hear you haven't binned it. Park up and return is the best way to go in the given circumstances and I suspect you're correct about the varnish blooming due to moisture :( 

Paul I would fix those national markings. They are way too large.

Ruben from Lima November Decals has produced some very nice (and correct) generic Danish markings sheets in all three major scales. I would be worth using them on your build.

Jens

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Col. said:

You've come too far and done too much good work Paul so I'm glad to hear you haven't binned it. Park up and return is the best way to go in the given circumstances and I suspect you're correct about the varnish blooming due to moisture :( 

Parking and a retrun I think sounds best Col

8 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Oh how I hate that.  Another coat of Humbrol clear may fix the problem. You could be surprised. 

Ray

I don’t hold out much hope for that Ray, but i’ll give it a test.

I tried an extremely fine grain light sand too but that didnt help.

I’m gonna bin that varnish and stick with future in the ... future

5 hours ago, Jens said:

Paul I would fix those national markings. They are way too large.

Ruben from Lima November Decals has produced some very nice (and correct) generic Danish markings sheets in all three major scales. I would be worth using them on your build.

Jens

They’re really oversized aren’t they! Yes Another nail in the coffin of this build.

Thanks Jens, I will check out Ruben’s, these were from Stoppel who sadly passed away recently.

Hi Paul,

Many years ago when I was still using Miscroscale varnish, if I sprayed too much on it would often "pool" in places and leave a white residue. A second thin coat usually dissolved it - don't have any experience with the Humbrol version but it might be worth a try. The only Danish machine I have ever seen was an F-100 in a "museum" at Cardiff Airport - really just a load of planes parked in a field. It did not last too long as the space was needed for the British Airways Maintenance Depot I believe. I remember thinking how badly weathered the finish was, but I now gather this was pretty normal for that air force and the Swedish one as well, as they only ever seemed to paint their planes on delivery and repaints were rather rare.

Cheers

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

Hey Peter and Ray, i am just testing it now and the second coat of the varnish does make the residue disappear!

Awesome

ok this project’s back on again.

i’ve removed the national insignia decals and will attempt to mask and paint them all instead. The flags and roundels are all fairly simple.

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 8

14 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Hey Peter and Ray, i am just testing it now and the second coat of the varnish does make the residue disappear!

Awesome

Hi Paul,

I just read your prior remark and was going to say give it a go anyway, fully expecting the result you now have achieved, This is great news.

Ray

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dansk said:

Awesome

i’ve removed the national insignia decals and will attempt to mask and paint them all instead. The flags and roundels are all fairly simple.

:yahoo:

On 2/20/2021 at 3:21 PM, Dansk said:

Awesome

Paul, good to hear it's back on!
How are you going to make the masks for the national markings? And will you mask and paint the aircraft code too?

Jens

6 hours ago, Jens said:

Paul, good to hear it's back on!
How are you going to make the masks for the national markings? And will you mask and paint the aircraft code too?

Jens

👍

The codes I have, their size is fine.

The flags I’ll do with tamiya tape and the roundels I’ll use a circular cutter and tamiya masking paper.

edit: actually I might use my hasegawa stencil to mask the roundels

spacer.png

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 1