Space 1999 Eagle

Lawzer

Folks,

I’ve very recently got back into Space 1999 (THANKS BritBox!) and other than a Dinky die cast Eagle I’ve never built one.

I usually build 1/48 ww2 ETO aircraft but I feel the need.....

so, what options are there for an Eagle?

tia!

ian

• Like 1

A website is dedicated to all things Eagle Transporter.

https://www.eagletransporter.com/forum/index.php 

£60 is the price for the 1/72 MPC Round 2 kit. If you are looking at the 1/48 kit it starts to get to silly prices.  I wouldn't entertain the Warp models Eagle as your first Eagle build but that is up to you. 

• Like 1

I build 1/48, too, but the 1/48 Eagle is just too big for me to display. 

I built the 1/72 Eagle instead, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Fit was pretty good and detail is about what you’d expect from that scale. The engineering is well thought out. The engine assembly had me looking like the Three Stooges film where Curly “fixes” the plumbing, but once I figured out where everything went, it became fairly easy. The pod attaches with two screws, but I glued some 1 mm x 6 mm round magnets to the pod and frame to make it removable.

The finished model fits in well with my 1/72 Bandai Star Wars kits on the shelf.

Ben

• Like 1

Perfect timing to get into Eagle building since its only in the last few years that we've seen some fantastic modern IP kits being brought out by Round 2 - the 1/48 Eagle (Transporter, Freighter and Science Pod) and the 1/72 Eagle Transporter - which replace the abomination that was the original (1970's) MPC/Airfix kit. I also do 1/48 in general but found the corresponding Eagle kit a little too big for my taste. I designed my own 1/72 version many years ago but was delighted by R2's version in IP which is fantastic, both in size and detail. I bought five of these kits plus five sets of the accessories. Highly recommended. I also recommend their Hawk Mk IX. 

• Like 1

Sadly the 1976 Airfix HO/OO scale Space 1999 figure set is very hard to come by these days. About time for a reissue I think. Maybe it will be announced tomorrow. 

Amongst the usual suspects it included Joan Collins (in 3 poses), a Peter Cushing (who was later used as the inspiration for Naboo in The Mighty Boosh and even later, Paloma Faith) and a Brian Blessed figure that was in fact much closer to 1/32nd scale.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I've built two Round 2 1/48 scale kits and two of the new 1/72. They're both great kits, the 1/48 has some interior cockpit detail but it's quite crude. I find i prefer the 1/72 as Eagles are quite moreish and I can display (and afford) more of them. If it had been released first I doubt I'd have bothered with the 1/48. Also the larger size shows up the lack of detail in some parts of the original models.

BTW the original models were painted Ford Diamond White and you can get this in a rattle can from Halfords, it is gloss so will need a matt coat. 

Stuart

• Like 2

I have built a couple of the 48th Eagles and can heartily recommend them, at around £130 each they are not cheap but 48th resin kits used to sell to close to £1000 so i suppose they are good value for money, alot of sanding on the spine parts to remove the seams needed is the only build concern .

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

It's a summary of Eagle losses in series one. There is another summary for series 2 on the tube.

The total for the 2 series was thirty odd! And that's assuming that some damaged ones were repaired!

• Haha 1

Another plus for the 1/72 scale kit that I forgot to mention is that Round 2 also do the Hawk from the episode "War Games" in the same scale. It's a lot smaller (and more affordable) if you want to display them together.

Mind you the 1/48 is impressive and there are more variants available (Standard Pod, Freight/Winch pod, Lab pod). I hope they'll release more pod types in 1/72 but they haven't yet.

I doubt you'll be disappointed by either kit to be honest.

Stuart

On 07/01/2021 at 09:37, Lawzer said:

Thanks all!

Looking at prices I might have to save up for a while!!!!!

So...  What's the cost Ian & can we get one on Amazon???

Whoops  - Too late I've just ordered you one - It's coming to me - but I'll Tuffnells it up to you - at your work address - Happy New year Mate - Steve

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 1/8/2021 at 11:32 AM, Stuart Wilson said:

Another plus for the 1/72 scale kit that I forgot to mention is that Round 2 also do the Hawk from the episode "War Games" in the same scale. It's a lot smaller (and more affordable) if you want to display them together.

Mind you the 1/48 is impressive and there are more variants available (Standard Pod, Freight/Winch pod, Lab pod). I hope they'll release more pod types in 1/72 but they haven't yet.

I doubt you'll be disappointed by either kit to be honest.

Stuart

Cool news out of Wonderfest a couple of weeks ago --- Round 2 Models just announced a 1/48 Hawk kit, which I guess they had on display...

Have always loved this "sinister Eagle" design and look forward to this release, which hopefully will not be as big as a coffee table, like the 22" Eagle appears to be --- yes, "space" is the final frontier for so many of us...

With Regards and Aloha,

Johnny B.

• Like 2