Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB Chat

Looking for homes for railway builds as the railway GB does not seem like it will get enough votes. Plenty of prototypes, research and special schemes available in kit form. Would these fit under the remit of this group?

• Like 1

Almost too many options for this:

Spirit of St Louis

Maachi and Supermarine Schneider Trophy entrants 

DH-88 Comet

Boeing 247

Gloster E28/39

Heinkel 178

Nakajima Shisei Kikka

Avro 707A, B and C (1/72 Pro Resin)

Bristol 188 

Fairey Delta

Saunders-Roe SR53

XFY-1 Pogo

TSR.2 (1/48 Airfix)

Concorde Prototype

XB-70

MRCA (Tornado prototype)

Cranfield Jetstream flying lab (does it count as a research aircraft?)

X-32 and X-35 Prototypes

Could do several of these as pairs or trios - competitors or complementary.

• Like 2

On 11/4/2021 at 1:38 PM, Paul821 said:

Looking for homes for railway builds as the railway GB does not seem like it will get enough votes. Plenty of prototypes, research and special schemes available in kit form. Would these fit under the remit of this group?

Please excuse the delayed reply Paul. Yes they most certainly would. The record breakers as well :)

3 hours ago, drdjp11 said:

Almost too many options for this:

Spirit of St Louis

Maachi and Supermarine Schneider Trophy entrants 

DH-88 Comet

Boeing 247

Gloster E28/39

Heinkel 178

Nakajima Shisei Kikka

Avro 707A, B and C (1/72 Pro Resin)

Bristol 188 

Fairey Delta

Saunders-Roe SR53

XFY-1 Pogo

TSR.2 (1/48 Airfix)

Concorde Prototype

XB-70

MRCA (Tornado prototype)

Cranfield Jetstream flying lab (does it count as a research aircraft?)

X-32 and X-35 Prototypes

Could do several of these as pairs or trios - competitors or complementary.

All good in an impressive list. Remember the special schemes carried by service machines such as the Tornado are also eligible as is anything in Raspberry Ripple :)

48 minutes ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

What is the definition of a special scheme @Col.?

Does the whole aircraft need to be repainted e.g. Thunderbirds F-16 or do Anniversary or special event tails also fit the bill?

So long as the subject in question has a significant portion of itself dedicated to the scheme, such as a tailfin, it's all good :)

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Col. said:

So long as the subject in question has a significant portion of itself dedicated to the scheme, such as a tailfin, it's all good :)

Excellent, then I have plenty to offer since it looks like this GB will be a goer next year!

• Like 1

On 14/11/2021 at 23:45, Col. said:

Col., before September we shall discuss and determine what you regard significant enough to qualify. Until then, :cheers:! V-P

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, vppelt68 said:

Col., before September we shall discuss and determine what you regard significant enough to qualify. Until then, :cheers:! V-P

Of course V-P, it will be a pleasure :)

• Like 1

I was digging through my stash last night pulling aside a couple for builds next year...and I stumbled across a perfect entry for this GB.  The Toyota TS020...aka GT-One.  Lemans Prototype racer.  The class by nature is an R&D exercise.  And the car set a lap record in the 1999 24 Hours of Lemans with a 3:35.032 lap...ultimately finishing 2nd in the race.  Lemans 24 entries are usually event specific liveries.  Never mind 1, the little bugger ticks all the boxes in one fashion or another.  :lol:

• Like 5

12 hours ago, helios16v said:

I was digging through my stash last night pulling aside a couple for builds next year...and I stumbled across a perfect entry for this GB.  The Toyota TS020...aka GT-One.  Lemans Prototype racer.  The class by nature is an R&D exercise.  And the car set a lap record in the 1999 24 Hours of Lemans with a 3:35.032 lap...ultimately finishing 2nd in the race.  Lemans 24 entries are usually event specific liveries.  Never mind 1, the little bugger ticks all the boxes in one fashion or another.  :lol:

Excellent! Nice one Chris :speak_cool:

I've been thinking a bit about this one and - because why not be unrealistically ambitious? - I think maybe I will try to do one of each.

That is:

. Prototype - for this I think I will do the Salyut 1 space station - first of the long line of Salyuts and also the prototype for all space stations really.

. Racer - one of the old Testors 1/48 racing planes (I think I have the S 6B and the Curtiss, maybe a few others)

. Research - I have a cool kit of the Chinese deep sea submersible Jiao Long, a research vessel

. record Breaker - Bell X-1? 

. special scheme - this one is a little trickier but maybe I'll do my ANA 787 in the Star Wars scheme. That could be cool.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

I've been thinking a bit about this one and - because why not be unrealistically ambitious? - I think maybe I will try to do one of each.

That is:

. Prototype - for this I think I will do the Salyut 1 space station - first of the long line of Salyuts and also the prototype for all space stations really.

. Racer - one of the old Testors 1/48 racing planes (I think I have the S 6B and the Curtiss, maybe a few others)

. Research - I have a cool kit of the Chinese deep sea submersible Jiao Long, a research vessel

. record Breaker - Bell X-1? 

. special scheme - this one is a little trickier but maybe I'll do my ANA 787 in the Star Wars scheme. That could be cool.

A fine selection of choices there :speak_cool:

16 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Hi Col

For anyone foolish enough to be planning a vacform build in this GB, can they remove the parts from the backing sheet prior to the GB start date ?

PLEASE :pray:

cheers Pat 

Aye Pat they certainly can. Let's allow all parts to be removed and prepared ready to begin construction :) It seems only fair to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Col. said:

Aye Pat they certainly can. Let's allow all parts to be removed and prepared ready to begin construction :) It seems only fair to me.

You star,

I'll hire a chainsaw and floorboard sander and make a start on the BV238 this weekend 

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

@Col. is this FM rhino, due for release next month, special enough? Nasty saw-tooth schemes....

Chris

7rB2X5P.jpg

Yes Chris that's sufficiently unusual for inclusion.

• Thanks 1

On 11/22/2021 at 4:47 PM, JOCKNEY said:

For anyone foolish enough to be planning a vacform build in this GB, can they remove the parts from the backing sheet prior to the GB start date ?

Did somebody call my name?

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, LorenSharp said:

Did somebody call my name?

Mine too for this GB! I have way too many options but one of the clear front-runners is the NASA/DLR SOFIA 747SP, which I started last year but didn't have the mojo for. I'll be using the Welsh Models kit, already removed the parts from the backing sheet and cut out a hole in the fuselage for the telescope, but it's way less than 25% built.

Definitely going to run out of time to finish everything I want to build in this GB. Is it too early to ask Enzo for an extension?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Definitely going to run out of time to finish everything I want to build in this GB. Is it too early to ask Enzo for an extension?

Do you think three years should cover it for part one? Then we can schedule the second edition after that :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Do you think three years should cover it for part one? Then we can schedule the second edition after that :D

So in my spreadsheet I've got 49 possible builds for this one, and those are just the ones I've thought of for the kits that are in the stash today. My build rate over the last couple of years has been 12-15 a year. So yes I think I could do the first 35-40 in three years (assuming I take part in no other GBs of course!) and build the rest in the second edition!

• Haha 1