Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB Chat

1 hour ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Still plenty of time, and I've changed my mind about 156446 times since my last post....promise final one this time, thinking of actually doing a F-14 now (after nearly starting that harrier as such over the weekend) as a regular WIP, before I commit, I assume a non CAG bird (but with the similar colourful unit markings) wouldn't be eligible as its not unique? 

As you say Stu a standard squadron bird wouldn't be eligible as there's nothing special about the scheme.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Col. said:

As you say Stu a standard squadron bird wouldn't be eligible as there's nothing special about the scheme.

Noted, entirely possible I've changed my mind for the 156523rd time by then, In fact i'm now considering buying a Hobbyboss f-14 to either do an aggressor or a CAG one for this  

edit: having finally found a photo of the non cag one I have with my kit I have decided to build that, so it settles, If it comes down to it it will  be an aggressor though saying that I’ve been unable to sell a suprlas f/a-18 which I also have decals for so perhaps that’s a sign….

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 1

Hi folk's scoured the pre owned and e-bay sites and plenty of special schemed stuff out there but I was taken by a few boxings of the EFA eurofighter test

aircraft both Revell and Esci kits out there at sensible prices but also I have an Airfix Superfortress which has sat forlorn in it's box which I have no intention

of attempting a silver scheme on that could be modelled as one of the XB-29 prototypes in OD over Gray I'll have to check out references for any changes

from the kit but decal's only consist of National insignia and codes.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Hi folk's scoured the pre owned and e-bay sites and plenty of special schemed stuff out there but I was taken by a few boxings of the EFA eurofighter test

aircraft both Revell and Esci kits out there at sensible prices but also I have an Airfix Superfortress which has sat forlorn in it's box which I have no intention

of attempting a silver scheme on that could be modelled as one of the XB-29 prototypes in OD over Gray I'll have to check out references for any changes

Good options there Steve :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I've got a lot to choose from here;

SAAB Drakken Swedish special yellow and blue

Jaguar GR3 retirement scheme 'Big Cat'

F-18 Tiger Meet

F-16 Tiger Meet

F2G Super Corsair

Hind D Tiger Meet

F-104 Tiger Meet

A-4 Skyhawk Top Gun 'Mig 17 impostor' scheme

Liberator formation ship Green Dragon

Spencer Flacks Spitfire Mk 14

Spitfire Mk 14 race 80

Laird Tuner racer

Geebee racer

A-7 Corsair Tiger Meet

Su 22 Tiger Meet

• Like 1

That is a good selection @Brad. In the best traditions of W.W.E.M.D I'll ask Enzo if we can extend the GB for a couple of years to ensure you get them all done :thumbsup:

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, stevej60 said:

The biggest visual I can think of is the 3 blade props ? 

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/b-29/xb-29/

I have so so many options for this GB.  I usually fight shy of special schemes as I have had bad experiences with them (in real life, not modelling).  But maybe I should build the special scheme that I was involved with, which eventually led to my dislike of special schemes.

Harrier GR3 XV738/B of IV(AC) Sqn. In 1987 I designed and painted a special scheme for the jet to celebrate Happy 4's 75th anniversary and XV738's 25th anniversary. 

• Like 2

I've a few recent additions which would suit this GB, all Merlin Kits, so what could possibly go wrong ? :shrug:

Mitsubishi Ki-8

Fiat CR.40

Focke Wulf Fw 159

Although I'm still favouring the BV-238 

Cheers Pat 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Col. said:

I'll ask Enzo if we can extend the GB for a couple of years to

I'd be up for that but I'd probably still only get about a quarter of the way through the 58 options I've identified!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m still very conflicted by this GB, if I’m honest around 60 to 70% of what I build falls into this category but, I have so many other builds in wip…. So decisions decisions.

1. little Wiley is a definite.

2. The YF22/23 are maybes.

3. The Geest and the Aviatik DII are also maybes

4. The Siemens Shuckert DVI is also a maybe, in fact I’ve started carving a fuselage buck

5. I’d love to do an Avro Spyder

6. The tiger meet Tornado is calling

7. At least I can save the gloster whittle and the Heinkel 178 for the pillar of fire GB.

And that’s not the half of it ..,

Some examples from my recent builds will at least generate a bit of inspiration.
3603460-C-041-F-4279-8325-2-B105-ACDA2-D
A KWagen yes it’s the same scale as the others 

141-EB907-E83-F-4-E00-A7-FF-00228-F7-F38Bf109 V1

3045-C876-2354-4360-96-E5-79-E95-B47-F69A Yak and a TL Jaeger.

28394D5A-BD89-4C70-ADAE-FAB2DC4728FE.jpgAlbatross CIX

ok I’ll stop now but as soon as the inspiration gallery is on line I’ll probably be able to fill a few pages :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

896-A8-D15-903-B-4-F25-A54-E-6-DB8935422Me wanting to build every quirky plane in these volumes is of course half the problem. So far I think I’ve built about a dozen or so.

EE8-A6-D38-8-BEF-45-B2-B175-FDB8-B6-AD91

looking at the Siemens Schuckert I think this is a dead cert for the GB

06-FE060-B-8290-416-F-B4-A2-7-AD98-AB50-And I forgot I bought this…

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/01/2021 at 08:11, Col. said:

A PRRRS GB for short. An excuse to cover all the colourful subjects we can think of together in a reaction to these grey, dull, and drab times.

Some time ago @trickyrichcame up with the idea of mixing a small group of diverse but associated subjects together in a meta-GB so how about these as a group of ingredients to have some fun with?

1, @Col.

2, @Corsairfoxfouruncle

3, @Black Knight 

4, @vppelt68 

5, @dnl42

6, @Jb65rams

7, @trickyrich

8, @zebra

9, @BritJet

10, @Jabba

11, @CliffB

12, @bianfuxia

13, @Hockeyboy76

14, @Redstaff

15, @Dermo245

16, @Robert Stuart

17, @AdrianMF

18, @Marklo

19, @klr

20, @bigbadbadge

21, @Andwil

22, @nimrod54

23, @neil5208

24, @Nick Belbin

25, @TEMPESTMK5

26, @GrahamCC

27, @JOCKNEY

28, @Beazer

29, @TimJ

30, @helios16v

31, @Rob S

32, @Ravnos

33, @wimbledon99

34, @TonyW

35, @Head in the clouds.

36, @Mr T

37, @Thom216

38, @stevehnz

39, @rossm

40, @alt-92

41, @psdavidson

42, @Colin W

43, @Beggsy

44, @modelling minion

45, @pheonix

46, @Shorty84

47, @Adam Poultney

48, @airfixpeter

49, @2996 Victor

Im a first timer at this after returning to the hobby after a 45 year break...

Prototype PR Spit for me....it has personal connections 😉

Edited by KiwiJohn
  • Like 7

Well I’ve asked about a 1000 questions over entry, think I’ve finally confirmed my second and what should be final entry. Dreading the Orange pearl finish, but hey, if it goes wrong can always repaint it into a bog standard scheme.  How odd that both my entries will be orange revell-f16a-mlu-03980-box.jpg

Edited by PhantomBigStu
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, KiwiJohn said:

Sounds good. Welcome back to the hobby and to the Group Builds :) 

6 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Well I’ve asked about a 1000 questions over entry, think I’ve finally confirmed my second and what should be final entry. Dreading the Orange pearl finish, but hey, if it goes wrong can always repaint it into a bog standard scheme.  How odd that both my entries will be orange revell-f16a-mlu-03980-box.jpg

It certainly looks smart Stu. How much of that scheme is provided as decals?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Ive had luck using a few drops of aluminum mixed in to both paint and clear coat to get a pearl effect over the years. Just makes sure to stir it constantly or the aluminum flake as small as they are will slowly sink and change the color. If not like you said there is always a standard scheme as a backup. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Dreading the Orange pearl finish

Tamiya TS-65 is a rattle can of Clear Pearl. Despite the expense, it might be worth considering given the special nature of the finish. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, KiwiJohn said:

:welcome: back to the hobby! and to Britmodeller.

A project with a personal connection is always good! :thumbsup: 

• Like 1

Lots of choices for me, already narrowed it down some, plan to choose from these

Tamiya Ford Mustang GT4 

Tamiya Mercedes AMG GT3 

Tamiya Toyota TS050

Revell Ford GTE (Castrol livery)

NuNu Audi R8 Evo (Magnus livery)

Aoshima Lamborghini R-SV GT1 (Khron-Barbour livery)

Trumpeter USS Minneapolis (Measure 8 camo, only CA to wear it)

If I cant make up my mind, I'll have to throw up a poll haha

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Col. said:

Sounds good. Welcome back to the hobby and to the Group Builds :) 

It certainly looks smart Stu. How much of that scheme is provided as decals?

Thanks to others for comments re the finish, think I will mix some metal medium in with the orange, had bad experience applying it over a paint.  As for the decals, they provide the all the dark shapes, a few of the black bits and the rest you paint. It’s just arrived 98542483-7-F86-4-BBB-B2-AF-298-F4-EB3193

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

May I join? At least one Hawker Hurricane did some racing, and would love an excuse to build a racing version!

With such a great project there's no way I can deny you a place :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 17/08/2022 at 14:43, PhantomBigStu said:

Thanks to others for comments re the finish, think I will mix some metal medium in with the orange, had bad experience applying it over a paint.  As for the decals, they provide the all the dark shapes, a few of the black bits and the rest you paint. It’s just arrived 98542483-7-F86-4-BBB-B2-AF-298-F4-EB3193

I think I remember :hmmm: a Britmodeller member building the Lion, using some Ford Focus orange metallic rattle can paint. Check that out. Oh, I saw her perform in 2011. As stunning as in the ground show. V-P

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...