Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB Chat

On 6/13/2022 at 12:04 PM, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:Before going shopping on-line, I'll ask @Col. again if that was a special enough scheme or not? The build - based on a Revell 1:72 B-17F kit - would also require hacking the G-kit cheek positions, as the early variants had them staggered the other way around (port oOo, starboard Ooo (early) compared to port Ooo, starboard oOo (late)). V-P

How about a separate Nose Art category for this GB gang? Part of the Special Schemes section.

If nobody raises strong objections I'm happy to see some of this type included :)

1 hour ago, Col. said:

How about a separate Nose Art category for this GB gang? Part of the Special Schemes section.

If nobody raises strong objections I'm happy to see some of this type included :)

Did you notice the white/red/white/red/white "invasion" stripes indicating it was a radio relay aircraft :wink:. I'm not suggesting this build because of the nose art, but the waist. Nothing wrong with the nose either. V-P

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Learned something new today, never knew what the difference was ? 

Well, apparently the USAAF fighter aircraft only had room for radio(s?) that could not also reach the RAF air/sea rescue. The B-17 circled over the Channel listening to messages from the fighters in trouble and not about to get back to England. I don't know if they could technically "link" the two radio systems or if there was a "human interface" - listening to one frequency and forwarding it to another. That was the point of the operation anyway.

I don't know if other Fighter Groups had similar relay planes. V-P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Did you notice the white/red/white/red/white "invasion" stripes indicating it was a radio relay aircraft :wink:. I'm not suggesting this build because of the nose art, but the waist. Nothing wrong with the nose either. V-P

Sorry V-P, that last reply was typed out in far too much haste while doing other stuff, both the nose art and stripes make this one a great subject :thumbsup: I was thinking out loud of a separate nose art category and not answering your question properly.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Col. said:

Sorry V-P, that last reply was typed out in far too much haste while doing other stuff, both the nose art and stripes make this one a great subject :thumbsup: I was thinking out loud of a separate nose art category and not answering your question properly.

Squirrel!  :lol:

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Already set on entering the Tamiya bell x-1 in this but would a CAG F-14 count as a special scheme?

I can't see why not Stu. They are, after all, a special scheme and as bright as any display team aircraft in many cases.

23 hours ago, Col. said:

I can't see why not Stu. They are, after all, a special scheme and as bright as any display team aircraft in many cases.

One of several options I'm considering, not least as its one I have in the stash though for seems whilst I do have decals for a CAG one with black spine and tails with a splash of colour on them its I'd spliced it with another scheme in my head.

edit: just seen hasegawa have just released their kit with the decals I want, a cheeky order from HLJ will be following on soonish, not a CAG bird but as its the markings for the last cruise of that particular unit should also qualify, either way will be ordering it. 

edit2: or not, just seen the shipping costs...ouch so will be the cag bird after all

edit4656:a uk seller has the same kit for about the same price and no risk of being additionally stung for VAT by HMRC, plus I've got ebay discount voucher and its my birthday next week do I splurge out....or save it for something more reasonably priced......

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Ok still dithering over my choices for the build but I’m down to six candidates, depending on how I get in with my WIP over the next while.

1. 1/48 scratch Geest Fighter

2. 1/48 scratch Aviatik DII ( shares a fuselage with the Geest.

3. 1/144 YF22 

4. 1/144 YF23

5. 1/72 2018 Tiger meet Tornado

6. 1/24 scratch little Willie the ultimate AFV prototype, well actually the first ( if only for the comedic potential)

If it comes down to it I’ll drop the three kits. There a decision of sorts.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Nah.  :fraidnot:   Build 'em all!  :thumbsup:

You know you want to,,,   :wicked: 

W.W.E.M.D :D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Nah.  :fraidnot:   Build 'em all!  :thumbsup:

Well I will try but maybe not for this GB, that said the two jets will be easy enough and the Aviatik and the Geest have the same fuselage, tail snd undercarriage and the Tornado would just be OOB and little Wilies a fairly simple shape, hmmm

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Marklo said:

Well I will try but maybe not for this GB, that said the two jets will be easy enough and the Aviatik and the Geest have the same fuselage, tail snd undercarriage and the Tornado would just be OOB and little Wilies a fairly simple shape, hmmm

That's the spirit :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It was started in 1936 as a test bed for a number of technologies and intended to be a high speed reconnaissance bomber. It’s actually a twin engine with a pair of DB601s driving a common drive shaft. 

Interestingly there were eight prototypes built, two of which were sold to Japan. I think I’ll build it as one of these as I generally try to avoid models with swastikas on them.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

So after a little research, little Willie is just short of 6metres which works out as 244mm or 9.6in in 1/24 a nice size.

E7-B1310-B-1710-488-C-96-C2-92-DC22-DE47 So regardless of what else I build for the GB this one’s in, if only for comedic potential :)

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

11 hours ago, Marklo said:

So after a little research, little Willie is just short of 6metres which works out as 244mm or 9.6in in 1/24 a nice size.

E7-B1310-B-1710-488-C-96-C2-92-DC22-DE47 So regardless of what else I build for the GB this one’s in, if only for comedic potential :)

Was it an Artillery tractor for towing cannons, It looks to have a caisson wagon behind it ? 

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Was it an Artillery tractor for towing cannons, It looks to have a caisson wagon behind it ? 

No, it was the very first tank. The wheels at the back were to aid in crossing trenches.

A1-A01-E10-23-AC-4-A43-A9-E4-26-FD833-D9this is the earlier turreted version. 

Little Willie led to Mother which was  basically the prototype for the British MK I heavy tank.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1