Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB Chat

11 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Wikipedia has a photograph showing it with a Tempest tail and Tempest style wing oil cooler.  It certainly looks as though the fuselage upper decking is Sea Fury style. 

spacer.png

The link you posted shows it with a Fury tail, definite Fury fuselage decking and Fury-style wing radiators. The lower nose is different to that of the Tempest Mk.I, 

This is fascinating!  There is the possibility of a small collection just dealing with Tempest prototypes and development machines.  Tempest V NV768 had two different styles of annular radiators, making it look like a Mk.II with an inline engine.

It's not exactly a Tempest tail, there's a side view from the same photo shoot (?) in the first post here

more ideas here

and one of mine here https://www.hrmtech.com/SIG/articles/sabre_fury.asp

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Nearly eighteen years ago I visited The Big H in Lowestoft and spent a lot of money.  They had a number of Hasegawa XF5U kits.  I considered buying one but decided against it.  I was focused on other things such as Hasegawa Phantoms.  I reasoned that I could always buy one later if the urge came upon me.

I was correct.  I can buy one from evilbay.  The problem is that it costs four times as much now as it would have done then! :yikes:

That visit to The Big H saw me buying a dozen 1/72 Hasegawa Phantoms for around 15 quid each.  I have never regretted that decision.  Have ya seen the price of those things these days?!?!?  :frantic: 

I don't know whether to be happy for you scoring all those Phantoms at a good price or sad you didn't get an XF5U and one for me too :lol: It's a kit I've never seen on a shop shelf :( 

17 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thats like my X-13. I managed to get it relatively cheap about 20 yrs ago. Not 1.98$ box price cheap but at least under 60$. The last time I saw one on evilbay a few months back it was 10 times what I paid starting out and the box wasn't in any where close to good condition, I remember almost getting this kit when I was a kid, but monograms version of Tom Daniels Little Red Baron funny car got my hard earned  allowance instead. Those were the days...:clif:

If only we knew then what we know now :lol:

• Haha 1

Since Brexit, the Pandemic and the War I have noticed two things vi's a vi's shopping, which amount to: if you see it and you want it then buy it because it either won't be there when you get back or if it is it will be twice the price. 

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Marklo said:

If you see it and you want it then buy it because it either won't be there when you get back or if it is it will be twice the price. 

A Sensible Policy For A Better Britmodeller!  :D 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

A Sensible Policy For A Better Britmodeller!  :D 

W.W.E.M.D? Buy them all! :D 

He has to at the rate he builds!

Edited by Col.
  • Haha 5

On 3/13/2022 at 8:20 PM, rossm said:

It's not exactly a Tempest tail, there's a side view from the same photo shoot (?) in the first post here

I think the illusion of the Tempest tail is given by it having the original shorter tail fin as also worn by the prototype Centaurus Fury, which gives it a more rounded profile. I like your Sabre Fury Ross, I have poured over that article more than once. I'm keen to do likewise one of these days.

Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Oh, for goodness sakes:frantic:   

I'm a bit freaked out at the scope of this GB.   I had originally planned to build a JPS Lotus 72D to satisfy the Racers part of this GB, together with a Saunders-Roe SR.53 to satisfy the Prototypes/Research part.

Then along came the new Airfix Tempest which pushed me in the direction of a series of Tempest prototypes.

This afternoon, I did a bit of work re-organising The Stash.  I re-discovered two resin kits from Anigrand.  These are for two NASA lifting bodies: the Northrop HL-10 and Northrop M2-F2.  These kits would satisfy the Research part of this GB.  They would also satisfy an ambition I have had to build these two ever since I saw an article in Airfix Magazine in the mid 70s.  

What's a boy to do?!?!?!?   :lol: 

• Haha 6

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

What's a boy to do?!?!?!?   :lol: 

Build 'em all!

Of course in order to do that we may need to appeal to the boss for an extension of the GB timescale. About an extra six months should do it :whistle:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Col. said:

Of course in order to do that we may need to appeal to the boss for an extension of the GB timescale. About an extra six months should do it :whistle:

Yassee...  this is the problem!  :shrug:     I see everyone in the BM GB community working hard to make GBs more inclusive.  But once we make a GB inclusive, we get freaked out by the scope.  It's a fine line, it tell ya.  A fine line!!!!   :lol: 

• Haha 5

• 2 weeks later...

EE8-A6-D38-8-BEF-45-B2-B175-FDB8-B6-AD91
found this in my fighters book the Siemens Schuckert DVI, I just have to build one, would be a great accompaniment for my Junkers J6 , of course that now makes 7 possible builds, the Geest, the Aviatik ( same fuselage) the YF22 and 23 and the Gloster and the Heinkel, hmm if I leave the two kits for the pillar of fire GB, the two jets will be an easy build and ( notwithstanding the mowe wing) the Geest and the Aviatik won’t be quite two builds as I find building two off slightly easier. Hmm

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Marklo said:

EE8-A6-D38-8-BEF-45-B2-B175-FDB8-B6-AD91
found this in my fighters book the Siemens Schuckert DVI, I just have to build one, would be a great accompaniment for my Junkers J6 , of course that now makes 7 possible builds, the Geest, the Aviatik ( same fuselage) the YF22 and 23 and the Gloster and the Heinkel, hmm if I leave the two kits for the pillar of fire GB, the two jets will be an easy build and ( notwithstanding the mowe wing) the Geest and the Aviatik won’t be quite two builds as I find building two off slightly easier. Hmm

Now that's cool B) Almost a cartoon-like depiction of an aeroplane with its simple lines and massive propeller. Although I would like to know how the tail is so high off the ground with no visible means of support :hmmm:

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2022 at 6:26 PM, Enzo Matrix said:

So many options. So little time! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

There are another ten 1/20 Formula 1 kits in The Stash.

So many NICE options there boss :wub:

What were we saying previously about a year-long GB :hmmm::wicked:

Would also like to join please! I have one 1/43 metal F1 kit lined up already. I was going to do an airplane but my stash is mostly hundreds of 1/43 kits,all race cars. This one is a Shadow sponsored by Villiger cigars from I think 1978. I might even do two……Chris.

• Like 3

I seem to be all over the place on this one, apologies :frantic:. Another question for the GB Over-tyrant @Col. if I may. 

Would this count? Both reached production (kind of) but never in this proposed configuration as far as I'm aware? So fulfills the "prototype", and maybe even the "research" criteria, as long as you squint a bit?  

spacer.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Would also like to join please! I have one 1/43 metal F1 kit lined up already. I was going to do an airplane but my stash is mostly hundreds of 1/43 kits,all race cars. This one is a Shadow sponsored by Villiger cigars from I think 1978. I might even do two……Chris.

That sounds good to me Chris :speak_cool: This GB is a great opportunity to work on such kits.

24 minutes ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

I seem to be all over the place on this one, apologies :frantic:. Another question for the GB Over-tyrant @Col. if I may. 

Would this count? Both reached production (kind of) but never in this proposed configuration as far as I'm aware? So fulfills the "prototype", and maybe even the "research" criteria, as long as you squint a bit?  

spacer.png

Proposed configurations is covered in the Prototype section of our GB so by that definition this one is good yes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Marklo said:

9B410FC8-9F74-4BC9-829A-0A5FE8C8E541.jpgNot that I’m short of choice for this gb but does this qualify?

Tigermeet schemes are applicable yes.

• Thanks 1

Hi Col,

could I sign up to this GB, please?

I'd like to have a go a scratchbuilding MG K3 EX135. This car was a successful racer at Brooklands as well as a World Land Speed Record holder for cars under 1100cc.

This is the car with her Humbug body, so called for its body striped in the MG factory colours of cream and brown:

351a32940933f691aa4aad4c761d0145.jpg

Not sure whether my modelling skills are up to this, but I'd like to have a go!

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 6

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Col,

could I sign up to this GB, please?

I'd like to have a go a scratchbuilding MG K3 EX135. This car was a successful racer at Brooklands as well as a World Land Speed Record holder for cars under 1100cc.

This is the car with her Humbug body, so called for its body striped in the MG factory colours of cream and brown:

351a32940933f691aa4aad4c761d0145.jpg

Not sure whether my modelling skills are up to this, but I'd like to have a go!

Cheers,
Mark

Of course you can Mark. That's an excellent subject choice and deserves attention. You've a bit of time to investigate and practice some scratch-building methods ;) 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Col. said:

Of course you can Mark. That's an excellent subject choice and deserves attention. You've a bit of time to investigate and practice some scratch-building methods ;) 

Brilliant, thanks - definitely need to think about this as its a bit more complex than anything I've scratchbuilt previously!

Cheers,
Mark

• Like 2

On 27/12/2021 at 23:12, vppelt68 said:

:hmmm:Before going shopping on-line, I'll ask @Col. again if that was a special enough scheme or not? The build - based on a Revell 1:72 B-17F kit - would also require hacking the G-kit cheek positions, as the early variants had them staggered the other way around (port oOo, starboard Ooo (early) compared to port Ooo, starboard oOo (late)). V-P

• Like 1