Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB Chat

31 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Does the he100 count as prototype? Just myself one, I know a handful were built but never saw service as anything but propaganda pieces? 

Yes it does. From what I can recall less than two dozen were built as pre-production examples so qualifies :) 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2022 at 2:37 PM, Col. said:

From what I can recall less than two dozen were built as pre-production examples so qualifies :) 

Afair they all had V numbers and were never put into service. They were painted up in operational markings as a propaganda exercise to convince the Allies that this was a new ultrafast fighter.

• Like 3

I have five projects currently in progress with intentions for another four notified.  However, I have been attempting to document The Stash and I found this:

spacer.png

I would really like to build this as the DH110 second prototype WG240.   I'm not making any promises, but it's a possibility... 

• Like 7

Can I join with this?

spacer.png

V-22 Osprey prototype#2 

I hit a "problem" during my F-15 GB build... And I think making this kit which I bought more than 15 years ago will help with my mojo.

Cheers,

Mario

Edited by Lifeline
  • Like 1

On 10/15/2022 at 5:09 PM, Lifeline said:

Can I join with this?

spacer.png

V-22 Osprey prototype#2 

I hit a "problem" during my F-15 GB build... And I think making this kit which I bought more than 15 years ago will help with my mojo.

Cheers,

Mario

Yes Mario you certainly can :) Come and join the party.

• Like 1

With a number of builds in the GB nearing the end game, I'm looking at other candidates for the next...

316930-16559-62-pristine.jpg

and this was on the top of the pile. The thing is, I can't find any images on the 'net to support this, Fujimi must have got the info from somewhere? The kit mentions it as a racer for the KIng's Cup, a handicap race. Can I take it that in this type of race that aircraft raced 'as is' and not adapted for the race, so would retain their armament, armour, radio, etc. If this is okay, then I'll build it but...

Stuart

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Courageous said:

With a number of builds in the GB nearing the end game, I'm looking at other candidates for the next...

316930-16559-62-pristine.jpg

and this was on the top of the pile. The thing is, I can't find any images on the 'net to support this, Fujimi must have got the info from somewhere? The kit mentions it as a racer for the KIng's Cup, a handicap race. Can I take it that in this type of race that aircraft raced 'as is' and not adapted for the race, so would retain their armament, armour, radio, etc. If this is okay, then I'll build it but...

Stuart

This is good for our GB Stuart.

From what I remember the scheme was applied to a Mk.21 (LA217) for the race but has also been applied to restored XVI (TD248 perhaps?) and XIV (RN201) in recent years.

9 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Ive now finished the Eagle STGB so looking for something to follow on the SR53.

One of these but a tough choice

Choises

Any thoughts?

The XFY-1 "Pogo" gets my vote with the X-15 in second place.

1 hour ago, Colin W said:

Ive now finished the Eagle STGB so looking for something to follow on the SR53.

One of these but a tough choice

Choises

Any thoughts?

Any of which are great but my thoughts are these. Pogo, D-558, and X-15, we have one of the D-558’s and an X-15 but haven't a Pogo yet. That being said its your build and do whichever is best for you. 

• Like 1

ln the LMS today saw this and the box top took me right back to being a kid in the local hardware shop when it first came out grabbed of the shelf and home and built in hours.

I had to have it,just wondered as Saggin Dragon was a one off scheme is it eligable for this GB,over to @Col. @Enzo the Magnificent and @Corsairfoxfouruncle.

IMG-20221031-WA0000

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

ln the LMS today saw this and the box top took me right back to being a kid in the local hardware shop when it first came out grabbed of the shelf and home and built in hours.

I had to have it,just wondered as Saggin Dragon was a one off scheme is it eligable for this GB,over to @Col. @Enzo the Magnificent and @Corsairfoxfouruncle.

IMG-20221031-WA0000

I think its an individual piece of nose art. I checked on the unit the 16 FIS, 51 FIW. I couldn't find any similar schemes in a quick search. I would say yes to your question. Now on a separate note, I have a vintage one of these but want another. I am hoping to do a trade eventually with someone on that side of the pond. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I think its an individual piece of nose art. I checked on the unit the 16 FIS, 51 FIW. I couldn't find any similar schemes in a quick search. 

I had a look at the rest of the build's Dennis and none so far of individual aircraft like Big Beautiful Doll etc hence the question as far as Korean War p-80's go she was

an individual of coure the prototype can easily be built from the kit.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

I had a look at the rest of the build's Dennis and none so far of individual aircraft like Big Beautiful Doll etc hence the question as far as Korean War p-80's go she was

an individual of coure the prototype can easily be built from the kit.

Well you're not far off, Ive read that the Airfix F-80 is closer to an P-80/F-80A in lines rather than a “C”. I cant say for sure but individual artwork may qualify but in the end its up to @Col..  

• 2 weeks later...

I hope that this is a suitable subject for this GB, but if @Col. or one of the other hosts could confirm if that is the case before I post a topic, that would be great.

According to that font of all knowledge (Wiki) "Widely regarded as the world's first practical modern automobile, and first car put into series production, it was patented and unveiled in 1886".

Arguably it could fall under the Prototype, Research or Racer categories (well it would be quick for its day 0-60 in about a week :lol:). 

John

52487853512_54785c1500_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

• Like 4

3 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I hope that this is a suitable subject for this GB, but if @Col. or one of the other hosts could confirm if that is the case before I post a topic, that would be great.

According to that font of all knowledge (Wiki) "Widely regarded as the world's first practical modern automobile, and first car put into series production, it was patented and unveiled in 1886".

Arguably it could fall under the Prototype, Research or Racer categories (well it would be quick for its day 0-60 in about a week :lol:). 

John

52487853512_54785c1500_c.jpg

by John L, on Flickr

A prototype of the modern motorcar? Seems fair enough John :)

• Like 1