Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record breakers, Special schemes megaGB Chat

Just looking on this group build out of curiosity as my mate Courageous has his Kingcobra in here.

Didn't realise that I might have something that would apply until I saw the bit about special schemes. Thought it was just prototypes and racers.

I recently purchased a kit that has this scheme the other week... This is a bit "Special", a bit like myself. Hopefully it will fit in with my time frames & I should get it completed in time. And it fits in with a couple of other specials that I've completed over the past couple of years.

Martin 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/data70/VW93qS69dv

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Just looking on this group build out of curiosity as my mate Courageous has his Kingcobra in here.

Didn't realise that I might have something that would apply until I saw the bit about special schemes. Thought it was just prototypes and racers.

I recently purchased a kit that has this scheme the other week... This is a bit "Special", a bit like myself. Hopefully it will fit in with my time frames & I should get it completed in time. And it fits in with a couple of other specials that I've completed over the past couple of years.

Martin 

https://www.flickr.com/gp/data70/VW93qS69dv

Nice choice Martin. Feel free to start a thread whenever you can :)

• Like 1

52389509333_536d7150f2_h.jpg

52389691400_372743dbf9_h.jpg

More of a place holder than anything at the moment. F-15E in the first stages of construction.

Moulding looks very nice to me despite past reviews of this kit. It may have some inaccuracies but saw this kit at the Holbeach show & just had to have it as it's both pretty hard to find & another wacky scheme that actually existed. Much like the Czech Mig-21UM cartoon scheme that i completed a couple of months ago, which incidentally was orginally an RV kit as well. Will look good parked next to my A-10 with its huge red devil on the fuselage.

• Like 2

On 9/26/2022 at 11:01 AM, SleeperService said:

Going a little bit off-piste here but does anybody know where I can find those distinctive P markings in 1/48 please?

Is there a particular size in millimetres you're looking for? Almark used to do a sheet (A23) that included some of that style in 1/72nd scale.

I didn’t think I’d got anything in the stash so I was thinking of making a prototype Hurricane from the old Airfix 1/72 Mk1 kit, but I’ve since remembered I have a Pavla Gloster Whittle, a Magna Gloster Reaper and an AZ Model MB-5 in the stash! Nothing very colourful but spoilt for choice nonetheless (after the P-38 GB).

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 7

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I didn’t think I’d got anything in the stash so I was thinking of making a prototype Hurricane from the old Airfix 1/72 Mk1 kit, but I’ve since remembered I have a Pavla Gloster Whittle, a Magna Gloster Reaper and an AZ Model MB-5 in the stash! Nothing very colourful but spoilt for choice nonetheless (after the P-38 GB).

Regards,

Adrian

The Gloster Reaper would be a nice one in the mix. Was it a competitor with the Beaufighter ? 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Was it a competitor with the Beaufighter

It was produced to the F.9/37 requirement issued in 1937 and preceded the Beaufighter, which was a derivative of the Beaufort (which is how I could steal the Airfix Beaufighter wings and tail to put on the FROG Beaufort body in the dark days before Airfix kitted the Beaufort!). A later version was put forward into the competition that produced the Beaufighter but it was withdrawn so Gloster could concentrate on jet designs.

Given that I already made my other Magna kit (the Gloster F.5/34) for the Anything But Injection GB, this would be a nice excuse to get this one done!

(But P-38s need to get done first!)

Thanks,

Adrian

• Like 2

19 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I didn’t think I’d got anything in the stash so I was thinking of making a prototype Hurricane from the old Airfix 1/72 Mk1 kit, but I’ve since remembered I have a Pavla Gloster Whittle, a Magna Gloster Reaper and an AZ Model MB-5 in the stash!

Now you've mentioned them, you know what has to happen... :wicked: 

• Haha 6

I've mentioned this before - numerous times - but did you know that Peter Gabriel wrote a song about me?

It's true.  I have no self control.

I originally planned four projects for this GB.  Three of those are currently in progress.   However, I seem to be quite inspired by this GB and my imagination has been captured by an additional four possible projects.   I won't mention what they are, as I don't wish to be hoist by my own petard (see my previous post :lol:  ) but they are very possible.   Two are connected to well known obsessions that I have.  The other two are connected to the imminent release of a new kit.

So, I have those drivers which are making these projects almost irresistible.   But then add into the mix the following factors:

• All four projects will involve building from The Stash
  • Gideon (aka The Mighty Spreadsheet) tells me that all four projects are perfectly feasible and will not exceed any previously set limits. 

I'm barely holding on here...  :shrug: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I've mentioned this before - numerous times - but did you know that Peter Gabriel wrote a song about me?

I originally planned four projects for this GB.  Three of those are currently in progress.   However, I seem to be quite inspired by this GB and my imagination has been captured by an additional four possible projects.   I won't mention what they are, as I don't wish to be hoist by my own petard (see my previous post :lol:  ) but they are very possible.   Two are connected to well known obsessions that I have.  The other two are connected to the imminent release of a new kit.

So, I have those drivers which are making these projects almost irresistible.   But then add into the mix the following factors:

• Gideon (aka The Mighty Spreadsheet) tells me that all four projects are perfectly feasible and will not exceed any previously set limits. 

W.W.E.M.D? :D 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I was hoping you wouldn't go there...   :shrug: 

We're not even a week into this GB and you're making good progress already on the four projects as well as coming towards completion with your two F-15 so it will avoid you getting bored ;) 

Just now, Col. said:

We're not even a week into this GB and you're making good progress already on the four projects as well as coming towards completion with your two F-15 so it will avoid you getting bored ;) 

Oh, believe me...  I'm not gonna get bored.  :fraidnot: 

Okay... so...   I just have this to say...

Dassault MD.550

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Oh, believe me...  I'm not gonna get bored.  :fraidnot: 

Okay... so...   I just have this to say...

Dassault MD.550

Are you planning to chart the step changes that took Dassault from Ouragan through Mystere to Mirage?

On 9/28/2022 at 10:53 PM, Col. said:

Is there a particular size in millimetres you're looking for? Almark used to do a sheet (A23) that included some of that style in 1/72nd scale.

Several sizes actually in 1/48 for a Meteor so 32 or 36" the long parallel sided tongue is the problem seems to be Glosters/Saunders Roe special. Very frustrating.

2 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Your'e in good company! I always have to do air drums to this when Phil Collins comes in!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, SleeperService said:

Several sizes actually in 1/48 for a Meteor so 32 or 36" the long parallel sided tongue is the problem seems to be Glosters/Saunders Roe special. Very frustrating.

Send me a personal message later to remind me and I'll check once home from work ;) 

• Thanks 1

Hmm planned, I’m familiar with this concept..,

Well so far I have  7 builds in the GB and There are about another twenty I’d like to start…. Avro Spyder, Sanders Roe sr.A1 ( I even have plans in 1/72 in a very old copy of scale models) Siemens Shuckert DVI, Aviatik DVI, Fokker V3 I could go on and on :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Hmm planned, I’m familiar with this concept..,

Well so far I have  7 builds in the GB and There are about another twenty I’d like to start…. Avro Spyder, Sanders Roe sr.A1 ( I even have plans in 1/72 in a very old copy of scale models) Siemens Shuckert DVI, Aviatik DVI, Fokker V3 I could go on and on :) 

I think you can skip the Saunders-Roe SRA.1 ? 

They just released a brand new kit. 

• Like 2