Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB Chat

12 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Torpedo aircraft count? missed out on building the new Airfix Beaufort in the Bristol GB probably will build a jet as well time permitting (eurofighter or Hunter in the stash) 

They certainly do. As torpedoes are used to strike surface targets any thing carrying them is eligible including aircraft such as the Beaufort...

10 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I hope so.  I fancy building a Blackburn Firebrand.

..and Firebrand :)

Motor Torpedo Boats are also good in this category ;)

• Like 1

haha... :nerd: :beer:

I have had a change of plans for this ones, Was going to do a Desert Storm Tornado GR.1, but now will build another F-14D with bombs!!! Can never have enough Tomcats! :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 11/7/2021 at 12:07 PM, DJJunis said:

Hi Col,

I am torn between subjects to be honest. So many excellent choices. I will have one shortly though.

Thank you for adding me. 

Don

On 11/9/2021 at 4:21 AM, Col. said:

Not yet Don. The voting ends this weekend and if we get through that stage the calender is set the following week so as a result of this process the dates should be published within the next two weeks :)

Hi Col,

Thanks...decided on a subject...Accurate Miniatures IL-2 Shturmovik.  Thanks for running this one. 

Don

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DJJunis said:

Hi Col,

Thanks...decided on a subject...Accurate Miniatures IL-2 Shturmovik.  Thanks for running this one. 

Don

Hello Don.

First of all, it's a pleasure; running GBs brings a great sense of purpose and a set of rewards that are difficult to quantify but highly satisfying and rather addictive :)

Secondly, and I must say, your subject choice is a great one. The IL-2 is the very epitomie of ground attack aircraft and yet a rare subject that deserves coverage. Great choice :speak_cool:

• Like 1

I don't tend to enter GBs much these days, but this is nice and broad that virtually anything I'm likely to build will qualify, so count me in :)

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 2:54 PM, airfixpeter said:

I have a revell 1/48 IDS Tornado I would like enter as my first try ended up in the bin so time to redeem myself. 

There seems to be a method for getting the best out of that kit which was covered in the STGB so sure you'll produce a grand model this time :) 

On 11/23/2021 at 3:12 PM, John Masters said:

Ilyushin Il-2...

Nice one John :thumbsup:

On 11/23/2021 at 3:36 PM, Seamus said:

I don't tend to enter GBs much these days, but this is nice and broad that virtually anything I'm likely to build will qualify, so count me in :)

Welcome back to the GB scene. They tend to get a bit addictive :D 

1 hour ago, Wings unlevel said:

Maritime strike is in right? Am enjoying your F-14 STGB @Col. so I might jump in on this one too with the Airfix Buccaneer S.2?

Yes it most certainly is and your Buccaneer will be most welcome :) 

• Like 1

Hi Col, a a Hasegawa Jaguar GR1 was near the top of the build pile, together with a quite old PP Aeroparts upgrade set. Could I join please? 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Hi Col, a a Hasegawa Jaguar GR1 was near the top of the build pile, together with a quite old PP Aeroparts upgrade set. Could I join please? 

Yes of course :) 

Remember the PP Aeroparts set had a better representation of the airbrakes in particular but that was way back in the early 90s so I'm keen to see you making use of it.

• Thanks 1

Thanks, one of the big weaknesses of the Hasegawa kit is the poor representation of the Air brakes and I hope to use the PP Aeroparts parts instead. I fancy doing an RAF Germany based aircraft from one of the old Modedecal sheets in the wrap around camouflage. 

• Like 1

Since the Italian focused GB proposal didn't get through, I may use this as an excuse to build an Italian subject. I've yet to decide, may be something modern (Tornado or AMX) or from WW2, like the P.108 bomber, while if aircraft meant for ground attack that were abandoned after a couple of missions are allowed, I may build a Breda Ba.88

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Since the Italian focused GB proposal didn't get through, I may use this as an excuse to build an Italian subject. I've yet to decide, may be something modern (Tornado or AMX) or from WW2, like the P.108 bomber, while if aircraft meant for ground attack that were abandoned after a couple of missions are allowed, I may build a Breda Ba.88

Those are all great options Giorgio and it'll be great to see something with Italian markings in the GB :speak_cool:

If there's room for a little'un I could be tempted to have a pop!

Doubt I could force a set of Fruils onto anything but I'll give it a go!

Fancied a huge V-bomber so a quick rummage around in the stash,  pushing the little airfix kits aside, produced this massive box....

spacer.png

I know nothing about the kit good or bad so if anyone knows of anything to watch out for feel free to shout out!

Thanks

Darryl 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

If there's room for a little'un I could be tempted to have a pop!

Doubt I could force a set of Fruils onto anything but I'll give it a go!

Fancied a huge V-bomber so a quick rummage around in the stash,  pushing the little airfix kits aside, produced this massive box....

spacer.png

I know nothing about the kit good or bad so if anyone knows of anything to watch out for feel free to shout out!

Thanks

Darryl 

Just as the Lightning is perhaps the zenith of British Cold War interceptors then I'd say the Vulcan is the equivalent bomber from that era :wub: Nice subject choice Darryl and I'm sure @Adam Poultney can advise you of any pitfalls to be wary of within this kit.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Col. said:

Just as the Lightning is perhaps the zenith of British Cold War interceptors then I'd say the Vulcan is the equivalent bomber from that era :wub: Nice subject choice Darryl and I'm sure @Adam Poultney can advise you of any pitfalls to be wary of within this kit.

I most certainly can, and there are plenty to look out for.

First is the extra pitot on the top side of nose. I find this one kind of funny because it's an obvious copy of a misinterpretation the Airfix kit's instructions, which show the pitot through the nose and it kind of looks like it's on top. 

Then there's too many wheels at the nose. Just shorten the axle and only put the outer one on each side. 

The white scheme's decals are way oversaturated, I prefer to print my own when painting these in white. Also the engine type in the kit is wrong for XL321 (it's got Olympus 301s, should have 201s with longer, tapered jetpipes), but in this scale you can probably overlook this. Additionally the flat plate (ECM plate) between the engines should only go under the right wing on any white Vulcan B2 (on except a very few early exceptions which had none), and the flat portion should be painted silver. The blister on the nose should be removed, no white Vulcan ever had this (introduced beginning 1966-68, after white scheme was replaced with camo). 

The camo scheme, XM595, is better. Use both ECM plates, remove the TFR blister on the nose tip same as the white scheme and remove the IFR probe. There are loads of reference images for an XM595 scheme similar to the kit one as it made an airshow appearance. I can't find any for the unusual tail markings in the kit. Use them if you want, but I chose to leave them off on mine as it is an accurate scheme. 

There are other corrections I'd make but those really are pedantic details

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

I most certainly can, and there are plenty to look out for.

First is the extra pitot on the top side of nose. I find this one kind of funny because it's an obvious copy of a misinterpretation the Airfix kit's instructions, which show the pitot through the nose and it kind of looks like it's on top. 

Then there's too many wheels at the nose. Just shorten the axle and only put the outer one on each side. 

The white scheme's decals are way oversaturated, I prefer to print my own when painting these in white. Also the engine type in the kit is wrong for XL321 (it's got Olympus 301s, should have 201s with longer, tapered jetpipes), but in this scale you can probably overlook this. Additionally the flat plate (ECM plate) between the engines should only go under the right wing on any white Vulcan B2 (on except a very few early exceptions which had none), and the flat portion should be painted silver. The blister on the nose should be removed, no white Vulcan ever had this (introduced beginning 1966-68, after white scheme was replaced with camo). 

The camo scheme, XM595, is better. Use both ECM plates, remove the TFR blister on the nose tip same as the white scheme and remove the IFR probe. There are loads of reference images for an XM595 scheme similar to the kit one as it made an airshow appearance. I can't find any for the unusual tail markings in the kit. Use them if you want, but I chose to leave them off on mine as it is an accurate scheme. 

There are other corrections I'd make but those really are pedantic details

Thanks Adam, that sounds pretty comprehensive for what I need. 

A white one would be nice but for this build speed is of the essence, that's why the airfix trio will have to wait for another day, even considering doing it wheels up..

Is the Trumpeter one any good, even though it has an odd shaped nose...?

Thanks again

Darryl 

42 minutes ago, mackem01 said:

Hi Col, can you put me in for this please. Thinking of a landscaping Typhoon Ib

Cheers...

Aye, of course, you're certainly welcome to join the party with a Typhoon :D 

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Thanks Adam, that sounds pretty comprehensive for what I need. 

A white one would be nice but for this build speed is of the essence, that's why the airfix trio will have to wait for another day, even considering doing it wheels up..

Honestly the modifications can be done in 20 minutes easy, aside from filler drying times for the slot for the extra pitot. To be fair I'm building my 8th one of that kit at the moment (which is the most modified one I've done yet) so it's probably quicker for me since I've done it so many times. 

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Is the Trumpeter one any good, even though it has an odd shaped nose...?

Thanks again

Darryl 

Ehhhhh I prefer the GWH one. Neither is perfect, both have ups and downs.

Pros:

Respectably good intake shape

Good IFR probe detail

Tailcone tilts up as it should

Full Skybolt blister set (sand off unnecessary ones)

Cons:

Poor nose shape

Questionable looking canopy

Underdetailed wings

Bad decals (get aftermarket)

Awful jetpipes (don't represent either style on Vulcan B2s)

Missing fin from Blue Steel

Restrictive design (no option for one ECM plate, only about 25 of them had two, no gear up option, little to no scope for future reboxes for black buck, white schemes, accurate blue steel configuration)

Very poor radome panel shape (obvious if you choose a scheme with a black radome, just rescribe it though)

Numerous minor shape and detail issues Strange parts breakdown and construction in places

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

Honestly the modifications can be done in 20 minutes easy, aside from filler drying times for the slot for the extra pitot. To be fair I'm building my 8th one of that kit at the moment (which is the most modified one I've done yet) so it's probably quicker for me since I've done it so many times. 

Ehhhhh I prefer the GWH one. Neither is perfect, both have ups and downs.

Pros:

Respectably good intake shape

Good IFR probe detail

Tailcone tilts up as it should

Full Skybolt blister set (sand off unnecessary ones)

Cons:

Poor nose shape

Questionable looking canopy

Underdetailed wings

Bad decals (get aftermarket)

Awful jetpipes (don't represent either style on Vulcan B2s)

Missing fin from Blue Steel

Restrictive design (no option for one ECM plate, only about 25 of them had two, no gear up option, little to no scope for future reboxes for black buck, white schemes, accurate blue steel configuration)

Very poor radome panel shape (obvious if you choose a scheme with a black radome, just rescribe it though)

Numerous minor shape and detail issues Strange parts breakdown and construction in places

Cheers Adam, think I'll stick with the Cyberhobby one, for now...

Just had ideas of moving up a little in size and doing a Victor too but unfortunately can't really justify £40 (ish) each.

Thanks again