Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB Chat

4 hours ago, Pin said:

I am somewhat surprised that a gun was accepted for this GB. Following this logic, what military subject that fires a projectile is not eligible? I could only think about fighters and anti-aircraft guns, everything else should be allowed. Can I join with Abrams then? If "yes" then it seems to be somewhat against the initial spirit of the GB that I have voted for

The other side of this argument is that we completely disregard all AFV subjects Alexey and I'm not willing to do so. As I mentioned in the initial post for this GB proposal subjects such as artillery pieces were welcome and I'm not retracting that :) 

• Like 2

I'm personally excited we have such a diverse range of kits and models for this group build. It's great to see so many people getting involved too. I'd say the majority of the builds are probably within the realms of what many people envisaged originally, but then the few others which have entered the arena will keep it fresh also! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There's a distinct lack of Harrier in this GB, twined with a distinct shortage of Harrier in my display cabinet, and a lot of Harrier kits in my stash. Now there's a simple cure for all those issues if I can just find some spare time so if you lot promise to behave and play nice I may be able to join in the fun rather than standing at the sidelines like some sort of creepy playground monitor...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Col. said:

so if you lot promise to behave and play nice

We promise (🤞

5 hours ago, Col. said:

I may be able to join in the fun rather than standing at the sidelines like some sort of creepy playground monitor...

We would love to see you build a Harrier 👍 

• Thanks 1

Play nice?  Where is the fun in that?  This is the Strike GB after all.  It's all about getting in low n' fast, hit hard, and get back out before retaliation.  :wicked:

A Harrier would be a nice little addition.  :hmmm:  I'm having a hard enough time trying to decide between a MiG-21, A-6A, F-1, or F-2A.....so I'm not even going to dwell on those (got a couple kicking around myself).

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, desert falcon said:

We promise (🤞

We would love to see you build a Harrier 👍 

Thank you Johnny :blush:

Maybe this one with a few goodies..

2022-01-20_08-11-38

• Like 4

I have a eligibility question, do ex-bombers count?  I have a Canberra B2 with 100 Squadron decals for 1980. 

Screenshot+2022-01-22+at+11.55.39.png

In 1980 100 Sqd. was operating as a Target Facilities Unit, but as far as I can tell WD162 was an unmodified B2.

Dave.

9 hours ago, Dave_R said:

I have a eligibility question, do ex-bombers count?  I have a Canberra B2 with 100 Squadron decals for 1980. 

Screenshot+2022-01-22+at+11.55.39.png

In 1980 100 Sqd. was operating as a Target Facilities Unit, but as far as I can tell WD162 was an unmodified B2.

Dave.

Hmm. I'll say no if it is an ex-bomber converted to other duties but if it was still a bomber with a capacity to hit surface targets and operated in that role it is eligible.

27 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hmm. I'll say no if it is an ex-bomber converted to other duties but if it was still a bomber with a capacity to hit surface targets and operated in that role it is eligible.

I don't think it was was converted, some of the squadron were target tugs, but I think this one was used for radar intercept training - so I don't see why it couldn't still drop bombs in theory...  but I don't think that was the role as such (not in 1980), If anyone knows different please let me know.

1 hour ago, arfa1983 said:

I need help deciding.... all 1/48

Hobbyboss A6-E

Airfix Blackburn Buccaneer 

Hasegawa AV-8B Harrier 

Meng Me-410 

I'm leaning towards the Intruder, or perhaps the Bucc 

The Airfix 48th scale Bucc is a well-known tough build whereas the HobbyBoss A-6E is more likely an easier project. My personal favourite is the AV-8B Harrier II but only because that's my all-time favourite aircraft type so obviously I've a biased opinion there.

• Like 1

with my clear annoyance with the AMK horror I may ned up ditching it for this build....... maybe even forever (it's that annoying).

Instead on the weekends club meet I acquired a cheap Airfix 1/48th B-57B/E/G model! I have the collect-wire full resin one and lots of AM stuff for it, so I may do a switch-a-roo and build the Airfix model and sell the Collect-Are beast. Yes I know selling a beloved resin model, but i sort or have to be a bit more practical these days. Plus anyway the money I'll make on the Collect-Are beast should pay for a couple more Tamiya F-14's! :D

Stay tuned, I'll make my decision by the weekend.

EDIT: plus there is always a 1/48th Gulf War Tornado GR.1 which was the original plan for this build.... another build I would really like to get out of the way.

• Like 2

On 22/01/2022 at 12:01, Dave_R said:

I was working on these back in the early 1980s and yes the B.2 Canberra's still had their bomb beams and release units fitted, though the only things we fitted by then were the crates for luggage and returning duty free stuff.  In 1981 100 Sqn had a deployment to Northern Portugal to act as part of an attacking bomber force, along with some Vulcans for an American/NATO carrier group exercise in the Atlantic, when some of the the Russian Navy came from the Black Sea to observe the exercise, one of the Canberra's treated them to a low level pass with his bomb bay doors open.  I cannot recall if it was WD162 but it might have been, just sayin. :whistle:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Col, Having just caught up with this GB I thought it might just get me out of the winter doldrums I find myself in.

So something bomber/ground attack, something in the stash with all the AM I could want all ready to be built.  I'm thinking swing wing mud mover, that means Tornado.

PICT0313 (1)

The only photo I have of a JP233 armed GR.1, the only time these were used in anger was the 1991 Gulf War.  Mine will be in desert pink, using the Eduard Desert Babes boxing of the old 1/72nd Revell kit.  It's been a while since I built anything in 1/72nd scale but the kit and all the resin AM just accidentally fell into my Hannants basket last year so why not!

IMG_1794

In the box there is a S.B.S. radome correction part with brass pitot tube and a set of Montex canopy masks.

With your permission to enter this kit into the GB I will clear my workspace and start cutting parts off the runners and cleaning off pour stubs.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

with my clear annoyance with the AMK horror I may ned up ditching it for this build....... maybe even forever (it's that annoying).

Instead on the weekends club meet I acquired a cheap Airfix 1/48th B-57B/E/G model! I have the collect-wire full resin one and lots of AM stuff for it, so I may do a switch-a-roo and build the Airfix model and sell the Collect-Are beast. Yes I know selling a beloved resin model, but i sort or have to be a bit more practical these days. Plus anyway the money I'll make on the Collect-Are beast should pay for a couple more Tamiya F-14's! :D

Stay tuned, I'll make my decision by the weekend.

EDIT: plus there is always a 1/48th Gulf War Tornado GR.1 which was the original plan for this build.... another build I would really like to get out of the way.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with the AMK kitty kit Rich but your B-57 and/or Tornado will be most welcome in our GB :) 

4 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I was working on these back in the early 1980s and yes the B.2 Canberra's still had their bomb beams and release units fitted, though the only things we fitted by then were the crates for luggage and returning duty free stuff.  In 1981 100 Sqn had a deployment to Northern Portugal to act as part of an attacking bomber force, along with some Vulcans for an American/NATO carrier group exercise in the Atlantic, when some of the the Russian Navy came from the Black Sea to observe the exercise, one of the Canberra's treated them to a low level pass with his bomb bay doors open.  I cannot recall if it was WD162 but it might have been, just sayin. :whistle:

Haha excellent! So there you go @Dave_R, proof you can if you wish go with a 100 Sqn. Canberra so long as you keep it in bomber configuration :) 

49 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Col, Having just caught up with this GB I thought it might just get me out of the winter doldrums I find myself in.

So something bomber/ground attack, something in the stash with all the AM I could want all ready to be built.  I'm thinking swing wing mud mover, that means Tornado.

PICT0313 (1)

The only photo I have of a JP233 armed GR.1, the only time these were used in anger was the 1991 Gulf War.  Mine will be in desert pink, using the Eduard Desert Babes boxing of the old 1/72nd Revell kit.  It's been a while since I built anything in 1/72nd scale but the kit and all the resin AM just accidentally fell into my Hannants basket last year so why not!

IMG_1794

In the box there is a S.B.S. radome correction part with brass pitot tube and a set of Montex canopy masks.

With your permission to enter this kit into the GB I will clear my workspace and start cutting parts off the runners and cleaning off pour stubs.

You are most welcome to join the fun with a Gulf War Tornado Bob. With all those aftermarket goodies it'll be a stunner.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, airfixpeter said:

Would this phantom be eligible as I really really need an excuse to build it. spacer.png

Hmm, good question Peter, the F-4F was acquired and operated as a fighter-bomber (albeit with restricted capacities in both roles compared to the E model) so no issues with the subject but I'd encourage you to do it in a standard service camouflage rather than a special scheme if possible. The box-art scheme would, however, look great for the Prototypes, Racers, Research, Record Breakers, and Special Schemes megaGB later in the year B)