Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB Chat

7 hours ago, zebra said:

Mikro Mir 1/144

You have me interested at that. Although Mikromir might not make the best quality kits, they do make best interesting ones and have superb choice of subject in 1/144. 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 9:27 AM, theplasticsurgeon said:

Just noticed this thread.   Here's a few stash ideas from me, - that aren't vouched for other GBs:

Fujimi-Intruder.jpg

Airfix-Harrier-GR9.jpg

Hasegawa-A7-A-Corsair.jpg

And plenty more where those came from.

That was nearly a year ago.

Now I'm planning to build this in grey.  A-10C Thunderbolt II.

Italeri-A10-C-Thunderbolt2.jpg

• Like 3

Hi @Col. 

If I had the time and storage space I could easily be looking at entries in double figures, but I think realistically I am looking at 4 or 5 max. I presume the A-7 Corsair II, F-15E Strike Eagle, RAF Tornado and Jaguar strike variants and maybe a Buccaneer S2 would be eligible?

Pete

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 6:55 PM, desert falcon said:

Unfortunately the wife said NO to more shelves, so no B-52 this time 😉

Another cunning plan however would be to build one of these from the stash, but would they qualify please @Col.?

gJKBeSn.jpg

yDdGUqr.jpg

2kqCshy.jpg

I think yes, but also in above versions? 

And no “What Would Elon Musk Do” is not an option (he would just threaten to sell his Bitcoins anyway) :) 

Cheers

Johnny b 

All of the above are good Johnny :thumbsup: Although I'm starting to think we'll need a sub-section of the GB for A-10 alone :lol:

On 1/14/2022 at 2:13 AM, zebra said:

Two interesting deliveries were waiting for me when I got home today: A Mikro Mir 1/144 3MD Bison and the Yefim Gordon book on the Yak-25/27/28 series.

The Bison is obviously a pretty good candidate for this GB.

I've got a 1/48 Yak-28PP kit. The Yak-28PP was an ECM aircraft, which was intended to go into action as part of a strike package. I could convert it to a Yak-28I bomber. But my question for the GB hosts is, would the PP's ECM role as part of a strike mission qualify it for this GB? It wouldn't have dropped any bombs itself, but would have been part of the bombing mission. 

Hmm, interesting question, I'll say no as even though a PP would have been part of a strike mission it is still in a support role rather than actually attacking surface targets. Perhaps better suited to a dedicated reconnaissance and support GB? :hmmm:The 3MD though... :wub:

8 hours ago, PeterB said:

Hi @Col. 

If I had the time and storage space I could easily be looking at entries in double figures, but I think realistically I am looking at 4 or 5 max. I presume the A-7 Corsair II, F-15E Strike Eagle, RAF Tornado and Jaguar strike variants and maybe a Buccaneer S2 would be eligible?

Pete

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and absolutely Pete :D All good.

Edited by Col.
  • Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, Col. said:

Hmm, interesting question, I'll say no as even though a PP would have been part of a strike mission it is still in a support role rather than actually attacking surface targets. Perhaps better suited to a dedicated reconnaissance and support GB? :hmmm:The 3MD though... :wub:

Thanks Col. The 3MD is definitely happening anyway. Fair call on the PP, I suppose it's not so different from calling a tanker part of a bombing mission. The Yak-28I conversion might well happen, doesn't look too complicated, particularly if I don't worry too much about differences in the bomb-aimer's cockpit. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, zebra said:

Thanks Col. The 3MD is definitely happening anyway. Fair call on the PP, I suppose it's not so different from calling a tanker part of a bombing mission. The Yak-28I conversion might well happen, doesn't look too complicated, particularly if I don't worry too much about differences in the bomb-aimer's cockpit. 

Cool! Glad to hear that and the conversion sounds good as well :) Perhaps the basic layout of the bomb-aimer's position wasn't radically different to that of the PP?

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

@Col. I need a ruling here, Is a Hawker Typhoon a strike plane ? If not will fall back and go A-6 intruder or A-7 Corsair ? 

Your Hawker Typhoon may have been designed as a fighter but found its forte in the ground attack role Dennis so yes as @JOCKNEY says it counts and I'm delighted you're considering it :speak_cool:

8 hours ago, Davek72 said:

I have no idea what I will build but count me in.  

Good man :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Just a thought, does anti shipping strike count.....:hmmm:

:whistle:

It most certainly does :) 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Jasper dog said:

Fan-Dabi-Dozi!

This came last week, was going to do a tiny Vulcan but now....:idea:

spacer.png

Oooh! :wub:

• Haha 1

Oh dear didn’t realise this was coming round so soon. Still KUTA is well underway, the Hornet and the two Matchbox builds are in hand.

Just need to figure out which builds to do. 

The Contenders:-

1. Heller 1/144 warthog

2. Trumpeter (?) 1/144 Tornado 

3. Roden 1/44 He111

4. Revel 1/72 Tornado

5. Roden 1/48 DH9

6. Scratch 1/48 Sopwith Salamander

7. Revell 1/144 Typhoon

8. Revell/ mr craft Sopwith camel TF1 conversion ( seeing as I have 4 camels in the stash)

The warthog and the Salamander are definites which of the rest will depend on wether I manage to keep the other GB entries on track, chip away at the KUTA builds and manage to tame my wip and of course how things are IRL. :) 

• Like 1

Would anyone have any objections to me starting a couple days early (starting Thursday 20th) due to the limited time  I have to build while I have nothing on at uni, as long as I don't get to the 25% mark before the 22nd?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, exdraken said:

that si what is dumped around here close to the bench...

5AH1gjW.jpg

I tend a bit towards a MikroMir challenge...

I like your idea of a challenge Werner :D 

31 minutes ago, Marklo said:

Oh dear didn’t realise this was coming round so soon. Still KUTA is well underway, the Hornet and the two Matchbox builds are in hand.

Just need to figure out which builds to do. 

The Contenders:-

1. Heller 1/144 warthog

2. Trumpeter (?) 1/144 Tornado 

3. Roden 1/44 He111

4. Revel 1/72 Tornado

5. Roden 1/48 DH9

6. Scratch 1/48 Sopwith Salamander

7. Revell 1/144 Typhoon

8. Revell/ mr craft Sopwith camel TF1 conversion ( seeing as I have 4 camels in the stash)

The warthog and the Salamander are definites which of the rest will depend on wether I manage to keep the other GB entries on track, chip away at the KUTA builds and manage to tame my wip and of course how things are IRL. :) 

An interesting selection you have there Marklo. Hopefully you can join us shortly once you get through your current projects :) 

11 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

Would anyone have any objections to me starting a couple days early (starting Thursday 20th) due to the limited time  I have to build while I have nothing on at uni, as long as I don't get to the 25% mark before the 22nd?

So long as you're still within the 25% zone by the 22nd it'll be fine Adam ;) 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Col. said:

An interesting selection you have there Marklo. Hopefully you can join us shortly once you get through your current projects

My plan for the year is to prioritise GB commits and tip along at anything else so I’ll at least get the Salamander and the Warthog moving when the GB starts. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

that si what is dumped around here close to the bench...

5AH1gjW.jpg

I tend a bit towards a MikroMir challenge...

The Mikro Mir option certainly looks interesting Werner (can’t spell the name of the plane :)but a B-52 would also be pretty awesome from my perspective! 

We are now at three days to go and counting gang :bounce:

Did a rough count this morning and there's forty project threads already with a good range of subjects so far :) 

• Like 2

I am somewhat surprised that a gun was accepted for this GB. Following this logic, what military subject that fires a projectile is not eligible? I could only think about fighters and anti-aircraft guns, everything else should be allowed. Can I join with Abrams then? If "yes" then it seems to be somewhat against the initial spirit of the GB that I have voted for