Bomber/Strike/Ground Attack GB Chat

On 12/18/2021 at 11:03 PM, mark.au said:

I’m in with an FAA Tarpon

Nice one Mark :) 

On 12/23/2021 at 5:39 PM, CliffB said:

Are prototypes OK @Col.?    I'd like to build the HP.80 Victor prototype, if acceptable.

Cheers

Yes of course Cliff. It'd be good for this GB or the Prototypes one as well :) 

• Like 1

On 12/25/2021 at 10:52 PM, Col. said:

Yes of course Cliff. It'd be good for this GB or the Prototypes one as well :) 

Thanks Col.  It would also qualify for the Big British and Revell-o-gram GBs (it's a Lindberg kit) :winkgrin:

I'm still working on my 'year planner' !

Cheers

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm planning to join in this GB with a 1/72 Grand Slam bomb on its transport trolley. It will be a nice warm up for the later "Big British" GB where I plan to build the bomber that will carry it :P

I think that would qualify for “Big & British” without the help of a plane to carry it! 😁

• Haha 1

So... speaking of gaining more build time. I know builds have to be less than 25% started. But what are people's opinion on starting a little early, as long as it's less than 25%? I'm only asking 'cos I'm worried about running out of time in my build!

• Like 1

On 12/11/2021 at 9:40 AM, JOCKNEY said:

Well, the version I would like emulate is this one 

IMG_6223

Courtesy of https://cs.finescale.com/fsm/modeling_subjects/f/2/t/156307.aspx

So if I allow a week to build it and the rest of the GB to paint it, we should be fine, what can possibly go wrong ? :whistle:

Cheers Pat

Ok Pat I think it's time to lay off the Egg Nog!! 

Even I wouldn't be silly enough to tempt a scheme like this one...... gosh I wouldn't even know where to start!!!  Hmmm maybe you need to do the scheme in reverse, dark colours first......

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Even I wouldn't be silly enough to tempt a scheme like this one...... gosh I wouldn't even know where to start!!!  Hmmm maybe you need to do the scheme in reverse, dark colours first......

The only disappointing thing is Rich that the kit isn't a resin one from Unicraft, I almost feel I'm cheating :whistle:

• Haha 3

10 hours ago, Mig Eater said:

I'm planning to join in this GB with a 1/72 Grand Slam bomb on its transport trolley. It will be a nice warm up for the later "Big British" GB where I plan to build the bomber that will carry it :P

That's different but good :) 

1 hour ago, Jasonb13 said:

So... speaking of gaining more build time. I know builds have to be less than 25% started. But what are people's opinion on starting a little early, as long as it's less than 25%? I'm only asking 'cos I'm worried about running out of time in my build!

So long as you're not beyond 25% progression at the start date it's all good :) 

6 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Sounds as if you're already giving it some thought Rich :lol:

12 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

The only disappointing thing is Rich that the kit isn't a resin one from Unicraft, I almost feel I'm cheating :whistle:

Now there's a challenge! :blink:

13 hours ago, Col. said:

So long as you're not beyond 25% progression at the start date it's all good :) 

Well now, that's excellent news. Thanks, even if I get the clear parts masked or something it'll be a help come deadline time!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Hmmm maybe you need to do the scheme in reverse, dark colours first......

Hi Pat,

That is not a bad idea. When I did my first Revell MC 200 years ago I painted on the green and then the yellow/sand "squiggles" went on with a fine brush. Of course my hands were steadier back then!

Pete

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, PeterB said:

Hi Pat,

That is not a bad idea. When I did my first Revell MC 200 years ago I painted on the green and then the yellow/sand "squiggles" went on with a fine brush. Of course my hands were steadier back then!

Pete

Thanks Pete

The only thing that makes me nervous is that Rich suggested it.....

Which makes me suspicious that there's a trap being laid :hmmm: :worry:

Cheers Pat 

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, Col. said:

Eighteen days to go gang :) 

Hi Col., can I still join with an OA-4M? I have the Phase Hangar parts to convert the Hasegawa TF-4 into a OA-4. I know it was meant to serve primarily in a FAC role, but it still retained the "A" and I would promisre to hang a lot of stuff under the wings...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Col. said:

Eighteen days to go gang :) 

Should be good to go with "Spunky VI"

• Checked the FM bomb and missile sets - there are enough there - and the ECM pod and pylons
  • @Vultures1 has shown me what the strike camera should look like - scratch building may start in advance - there are 9 stations and compared to a MER with 5 slicks that is tiny so in terms of size would represent a fraction of the model
  • Plenty of time to get SEA camo paints in

Chris

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TonyOD said:

They creep on you, these things...

They most certainly do and quickly at that! Thought it best to give us all a bit of warning to clear some space and get ready :bounce:

2 hours ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Hi Col., can I still join with an OA-4M? I have the Phase Hangar parts to convert the Hasegawa TF-4 into a OA-4. I know it was meant to serve primarily in a FAC role, but it still retained the "A" and I would promisre to hang a lot of stuff under the wings...

Of course :) FAC subjects are good for this GB and even better if you're hanging a selection of the noisy toys under its wings ;) 

44 minutes ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Should be good to go with "Spunky VI"

• Checked the FM bomb and missile sets - there are enough there - and the ECM pod and pylons
  • @Vultures1 has shown me what the strike camera should look like - scratch building may start in advance - there are 9 stations and compared to a MER with 5 slicks that is tiny so in terms of size would represent a fraction of the model
  • Plenty of time to get SEA camo paints in

Chris

Cool :thumbsup: Nothing wrong with a little bit of scratch-building work to gain yourself a head start.

Leading on from you comment on prototypes being allowed, what's your stance on ground attack planes that didn't get off the drawing board? After a slight Xmas slip* I've got two more of these winging their way to me to add to the one I already had in the stash. Just in case the Hercules doesn't eat up all the GB time I'd wondered if one of them might be eligable?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04335-blohm-and-voss-p194--155934

James

*Slip as in I slipped out of the room so the mrs didn't see me hitting the "buy it now" button 😉

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 81-er said:

Leading on from you comment on prototypes being allowed, what's your stance on ground attack planes that didn't get off the drawing board? After a slight Xmas slip* I've got two more of these winging their way to me to add to the one I already had in the stash. Just in case the Hercules doesn't eat up all the GB time I'd wondered if one of them might be eligable?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-04335-blohm-and-voss-p194--155934

James

*Slip as in I slipped out of the room so the mrs didn't see me hitting the "buy it now" button 😉

I've no major objections to projected types that were the result of genuine studies being included in the GB James.

Hi Col,

If an F-14D (Tamiya 1:48) was fitted with Paveway and JDAM, would it qualify for this GB?

I ask as I've missed the F-14 GB due to lack of bench time over the last few months and if it doesn't sell in the next couple of weeks, I might decide to build it here!

I do have a 'Dambuster' but I had planned to do that in the 'Big & British' GB and it would mean I have an excuse for both

No worries if not; just worth an ask

Cheers

NIgel

• Like 2