A Merit 1/24 Jaguar D Type,brought back to life.

spacer.png

Have just finished this one,a 1950's Merit kit. As far as I know this is the only 1/24 kit ever of a short nose D Type Jag. It's a good shape I think,I had to glue the top and bottom halves together and then fill in the join after making a complete new dashboard with a 4 spoke steering wheel as per Mike Hawthorn's cars. Also had to fit the rear wheels first,the wheels were replaced by some resin wheels from a Lister kit made by Roaring Replicas. Then had trouble with the paint as I used Tamiya primer and then a PPG version of British Racing Green. These two didn't exactly see eye to eye and I ended up starting all over again! Some of the paint job has some digs in it now....hope you like! 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Now for 3 1/43 D types- 

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

The dark blue metallic one is the Le Mans 1957 winner of the Ecurie Ecosse team,the light blue car is the 3rd.place car from Le Mans 1957,the Los Amigos team. Both Provence Moulage resin kits.The BRG car is an SMTS metal kit,the first Jaguar D type race winner in 1954. Hope you like these too,+ Happy new year to everyone! Chris.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Kitkent said:

As far as I know this is the only 1/24 kit ever of a short nose D Type Jag.

Profil24 make both long nose (Le Mans 1955 winner) and short nose (Le Mans 1956 winner) D-Types in 1:24 scale. Resin kits and not cheap but really astonishingly detailed.

Maurice

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Some of the paint job has some digs in it now....

Just like the real thing then!

Really lovely model Chris - as are the three 'ickle ones - I'm really taken by that French Blue #17 car!

Happy New Year to you and yours too - looking forward to more of your excellent builds in 2021!

Keith

• Like 1

Happy new year to you too Keith! And to everyone else reading wherever you are. I'll try very very hard to show some more models this year,did I say I like Jaguar cars ? and Lotus and Lancia and Ferrari etc etc.....

Maurice,yes I have lusted after the Profil 24 D types,and yes there is a short nose car,but not one without the tailfin. I do have 4 Provence Moulage 1/24 D type kits,but they are curbside only. Thanks Chris.

• Like 1

On 1/3/2021 at 7:24 AM, Pete in Lincs said:

It's a D type. What's not to like? Lovely job.

What Pete said, other than it is accompanied by a bunch of other D-types. :)  These are awesome, some of the best Motor racing history ever. I can only run to a Miniart (?) 1/43 one. :(

Steve.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Thanks Rab,well  it was easy enough to take apart! Think it will be a while before I tackle another old Merit kit and I have a few. Happy new year to you and do lots of 1/43 modelling! Chris

Cheers Chris, happy new year to you too, fingers crossed this one is bit more normal, that Hogmany was the quietest I'd experienced in my entire life, didn't even stay up for the bells.

Love step 16 in particular "If it is desired to further decorate the model", nah, I'll just leave it unpainted thanks 😄

• Like 1