Airfix Spitfire Vc

Beard

It's been a while since I posted anything on here but as @tonyot
and @bigbadbadge
have given me some encouragement here goes.

I've made a lot of Spitfires in the last couple of years, there are about 50 finished in my loft, three in progress, and an unknown number to be built.

Anyway, this thread is about the new Spitfire Vc. I bought seven on release and have done two already.

A 185 squadron one:

20210102-135134.jpg

A 91 squadron one:

20210102-135115.jpg

This one may not be an RAF one. I'm tempted by the Italian and Greek ones on the Xtradecal Vc sheet. We'll see.

I've made a start on the interior, obviously, photos to follow.

• Like 17

Right, the cockpit parts make a sub-assembly which is very reminiscent of the Eduard VIII & IX (and that's no bad thing).

I've painted the bits that are Interior Grey-green with Humbrol 78 (I've run out of my preferred Colourcoats) and the Aluminium bits with Humbrol 27001. It'll get a light grey dry-brush and a Future/ black gauche wash before a matt varnish coat.

I painted the seat with a mixture of Humbrol 70 and Colourcoats RN19, when that's dry I'll paint the backrest cushion.

I've also, because it looks too long to me, had a go at reshaping the Rotol spinner. Not sure that's been entirely successful.

20210102-152655.jpg

• Like 12

Excellent,  good to see you back with a WIP  and two lovely models already.  What with you and Tony we are in for a treat with these latest Airfix beauties.

I have had a quick look at the kit through the bag and I am very impressed with the panel lines and good to see the cockpit parts breakdown/assembly  too, like you say - no bad thing.

Great work so far .

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Excellent,  good to see you back with a WIP  and two lovely models already.  What with you and Tony we are in for a treat with these latest Airfix beauties.

I have had a quick look at the kit through the bag and I am very impressed with the panel lines and good to see the cockpit parts breakdown/assembly  too, like you say - no bad thing.

Great work so far .

Chris

Thanks Chris. The cockpit is nicely detailed and goes together fairly easily.

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm just making a start on one of these as well, inspired by @tonyot's recent /current threads, so I'll follow along if I may!

Kind regards,

Mark

Welcome aboard, although I can't say you'll learn anything.

• Like 4

Looking good and the two built up ones look excellent too. If you are using the Xtradecal sheet,.... then I`m presuming that the Greek option you are considering is the silver one with the blue tail? If so,.... that has to be the one! I did some Greek Spits a while ago including a 72nd silver Greek one,..... with a different scheme;

I think the blue tail from the Xtradecal sheet is `inspired' by one of the options featured on the sheet I used here;

Keep up the good work,

Tony

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

If you are using the Xtradecal sheet,.... then I`m presuming that the Greek option you are considering is the silver one with the blue tail? If so,.... that has to be the one!

The silver one-step obvious choice, isn't it.

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

I did some Greek Spits a while ago including a 72nd silver Greek one,..... with a different scheme;

They all look very nice but the the silver one with the individual codes is very smart.

Edited by Beard
  • Like 3

Making good progress. The cockpit sub-assembly only needs the front bulkhead and it'll be ready to sandwich between the fuselage halves, also assembled the props and started on the wings.

spacer.png

A close-up of the cockpit sub-assembly (apologies for the poor photo):

spacer.png

Thanks for looking.

• Like 10

Lovely to see another of your spitfire build thread. Great work on the two you have already finished and a cracking start on this, I’ll be taking notes for when I get round to building mine.

Rob

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

[...] can anyone say whether these from Eduard are suitable for early Spits?

They're Sutton harnesses so are appropriate for most WW2 RAF aircraft. I make my own because I'm too tight to buy them.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Beard said:

They're Sutton harnesses so are appropriate for most WW2 RAF aircraft. I make my own because I'm too tight to buy them.

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for that, it's hugely appreciated, and apologies for the slight thread hijack!

Kind regards,

Mark

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Simon is building Spitfires, all is right with the world.

It's coming along great Simon, and I really like the results on your first two. What transfer sheet did you use for the 91 Sqn build?

Simon is building Spitfires partly because everything isn't alright with the world.

Anyway, I used this Xtradecal sheet:

X72318_1.jpg?t=1585335339

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looking good so far Beard.

So many great options on that Xtradecal sheet. Got one myself and planning to do at least 5 of them. Seeing as their all different nationalities you get full insignia/roundels for all of them as opposed to just one set of roundels normally on a Spitfire decal sheet.

Just waiting for the Airfix Vc kit to become available here in Oz and I will snaffle a few.

It's definitely a disease I tell you, Spitfire-i-tist. Just got to finish off my major/production Mks. Spitfire collection. 30 down, 1 in paint shop and 5 to go.

Would love to see the other Spits already done.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Looking good so far Beard.

Thanks.

Just waiting for the Airfix Vc kit to become available here in Oz and I will snaffle a few.

It's a nice little kit so will be worth the wait.

It's definitely a disease I tell you, Spitfire-i-tist. Just got to finish off my major/production Mks. Spitfire collection. 30 down, 1 in paint shop and 5 to go.

Would love to see the other Spits already done.

I've done at least one of every variant, apart from the PR planes (and that'll be rectified soon). My current plan is to build all of the planes Jean Mariador flew with 91 squadron.

Here's a WIP that has some of the kits I've built in the past.

(If you really like Spitfires, you should check out the ones that Tony O'Toole has done. They're superb.

My effect is all glued together and has had a couple of coats of Humbrol 27001.

20210105-211624.jpg

(I must sort-out the seam on the upper cowling.)

Thanks for looking.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Are you going to buff it to polish too, it comes up quit

I have a bit, to get rid of some of the brushstrokes, but I'm not sure how shiny the actual plane would've been.

• Like 3

I *think* I've got rid of that seam on the upper cowling...

20210107-214359.jpg

(The more observant among you will spot the Spitfire 18 lurking on the background)

Next step is to give the nose another coat of paint.

• Like 6