Amusing Hobby 2020-2021 catalog

Homebee

Some highlights from the Amusing Hobby (http://www.amusinghobby.com/ &  https://www.facebook.com/Amusing-Hobby-1775421772678252/) catalog 2020-2021 are here:

https://tieba.baidu.com/p/7178046448

Amusing Hobby "Luft 46" kits have dedicated threads: 

- ref. 48A001 - Focke Wulf Triebflügel - link

- ref. 48A002 - Weserflug P.1003/I - link

- ref. 48A003 - Messerschmit Me.262 HGIII - link

- ref. 48A004 - Junkers Ju-187 Super Stuka - link

- ref. 48A005 - Messerschmitt Me.329 - link

7cb28be736d12f2e77c6232658c2d56284356810

45f90633c895d1439b43686564f082025aaf0719

3e4c6c1bb051f819d02f8f0ccdb44aed2f73e7c9

Me262-HGIII.jpg

f741e5292df5e0fe7a1d05474b6034a85fdf72ca

b3d1535494eef01fda139483f7fe9925bd317dd4

805f7e8b87d6277fff13be7e3f381f30e824fcd6

V.P.

Matt-Memory2.jpg

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Apart from the Trielflugel, which I've got already, all of those flying things look like fun ^_^ I've always wanted some more paper and early projects in my favourite scale for aircraft :yes:

• Like 1

Possibly straying dangerously towards off-topic, so please feel free to ignore me if necessary, but those aircraft raise some questions for me regarding kit viability.

There have been extensive discussions of the commercial viability of various 'obscure' (but flown!) aircraft over the years, particularly when it comes to 1/48th, and the general conclusion is usually that any company doing an injection-moulded Scimitar/ Swift/ Whaetever else in 1/48th would have to be insane. And yet here we are seeing some designs that got little further than the napkins in the company canteen, being released in full injection-moulded glory in that very same scale! Is there some trick that these companies have found to make obscure kits commercially viable, and if so how do we convince them to do it for production aircraft, or are late-war concept designs simply that much more popular than the post-war beauties that we've been begging Airfix for?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

And yet here we are seeing some designs that got little further than the napkins in the company canteen, being released in full injection-moulded glory in that very same scale! Is there some trick that these companies have found to make obscure kits commercially viable, and if so how do we convince them to do it for production aircraft, or are late-war concept designs simply that much more popular than the post-war beauties that we've been begging Airfix for?

It doesn't seem to apply to anything other than German concepts. There isn't - apparently - any perceived market for the 'what-ifs' of other nations. Peculiar, that.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I'd personally love to see a series of early convertoplanes in plastic such as Bell XV-3, LTV XC-142, Canadair CV-84 or German post war VTOL projects. And even modern AW609 or Bell V-280 would perfectly work. 

But that is not something attracting a lot of people I guess. 

Edited by Dennis_C

As much as I love to talk about almosts, protoypes and couldabeens of all types, let's keep this one on topic.  Start another topic on the other subjects by all means, but in chat if there's no hard & fast manufacturer involved :)

:offtopic:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChocolateCrisps said:

...And yet here we are seeing some designs that got little further than the napkins in the company canteen, being released in full injection-moulded glory in that very same scale! Is there some trick that these companies have found to make obscure kits commercially viable, and if so how do we convince them to do it for production aircraft, or are late-war concept designs simply that much more popular than the post-war beauties that we've been begging Airfix for?

Put a swastika on the tail.  Even if it's spurious fictional markings for a captured example.

More seriously, I think there are several factors at play:

1.  Nazi paper pipe-dreams sell.  Other countries' prototypes...less so, but they sell too.

2.  The Chinese companies seem more willing to think outside the Spitfire/109/Mustang/190 box.  We're seeing that from some of the Eastern European companies as well, but the Chinese lead the pack.

3.  Nobody is going to rivet-count the pipe-dream kits.

Edited by HMSLion
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, KevinK said:

It doesn't seem to apply to anything other than German concepts. There isn't - apparently - any perceived market for the 'what-ifs' of other nations. Peculiar, that.

seems to be a small market for some British ones given the popularity of TSR2

8 minutes ago, Adam Poultney said:

seems to be a small market for some British ones given the popularity of TSR2

WRT postwar aircraft, there's a cult around the TSR-2, Avro Arrow, and B-70.  Honorable mention for the F-108 Rapier...which I'd love to see done in styrene. 

I'll note that if you had told me ten years ago that I would be able to buy plastic kits of the MBT-70, T-95, and M-6 tanks, I'd have thought you daft.  Today, they are in my stash.  The real headache is getting the aircraft kitted.

• Like 1

What we're seeing here, though, is aircraft which were never built: "Luft 46" types. At least the Arrow, Valkyrie and TSR-2 made it into flight.

I don't know what sales Amusing Hobby needs to make to break even. Some of the Czech companies run limited runs of 500 kits, which would allow for the occasional miss.

2 minutes ago, Ad-4N said:

B-36s over Europe?  Very imaginative.  

Well, if people buy into the 'what-if' inherent in the war going on well beyond 1945, that's what might have happened.

As a matter of fact, circa 1950, my Dad was intercepting B-29s over Lancashire, flying a Vampire 5, so it's not that big a stretch. I believe that in later exercise years, B-36s were used.

• Thanks 1

Wow...  I am very excited about the Me329!  All of these Luft '46 models will be great to add to my collection!  I got their Treibflugel and its a very nice kit!

Keep more of the Luft '46 in 1/48 coming, Amusing!!!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, janneman36 said:

Hmmm is that Israeli Centurion an AFV mould or their own?

cheers, Jan

The other Amusing Cents seen so far are all-new tooling.  The indy link tracks provided do look suspiciously like the AFV Club ones, which is no bad thing.  A £16-20 extra on the AFV Club kits.  However, they have goofed the wheels on the Mk5 kit and presumably the others, so you'll need to spend £15-25 on aftermarket resin wheels with the correct rims.  But you need to do that with AFV Club Cents too: although they have the right rim profile the rims are moulded in nasty vinyl as part of the tyres,  Panzer Art wheels if you can get them.  Or MR Modellbau or Brach.  Legend ones are no improvement over kit parts.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Mike said:

Apart from the Trielflugel, which I've got already, all of those flying things look like fun ^_^

So that's why they call themselves Amusing Hobby!

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

Why do people get all po faced and uptight about kits like the Triebflugel and, Me-329 and then start complaining bitterly?

I'm usually reticent to respond to '46 stuff. 
I don't like it.

The whole Wunderwaffe phenomenon is something I have concerns about in a broader sense, because sadly there are people in this world that still think the regime during which those paper projects were made is something to be admired. But I know I'm in a minority in that view. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

B-36s over Europe?  Very imaginative.  😄

The only way I see the Deutsche Paiper Pipe-Dreams being plausible is the June 1944 von Stauffenberg plot succeeding.  Hitler is killed, his regime deposed, the military junta which succeeds it makes peace with the Western Allies.  Peace with the Soviet Union is not forthcoming...so the war continues on the Eastern Front.

No B-36s.

Still, I want an F-108 kit.  An F8U-3.  And a MQ-4C kit.  And an RQ-4A kit with all the possible markings (DARPA ACTD, USAF operational deployment, USN BAMS-D, and NASA).

Well, if there are people "admiring" this disgusting regime than it is not because of some plastic models. Everybody knows what they stand for and if someone admires them than he is either ok with what they did or is actively ignoring it.

But to think plastic kits cause somebody to "admire" certain regimes I think you are barking up the wrong tree. It "may" be a symptom but not the root cause. Something went wrong way before that.

Politics stay out of modelling for me. I'm a history buff too and know very well the politics behind many of the machines we build (and I guess most people here too). But I'm interested in the technical side, the imagination of the designers to solve particular problems.

Of course everybody is free not to build certain subjects because they feel they are inappropriate, that's perfectly fine.

Sorry but it triggers me if people mix up cause and effect as I had more than one instances where I had to explain to people why I build "war toys".

Cheers

Markus

Edited by Shorty84
Removed possible political content.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...