1/48 - Messerschmitt Me.262 HGIII by Amusing Hobby - HGIII/2 released - HGIII/1 & HGIII/3 in project

Homebee

• 11 months later...

Just saw test shot on Facebook, looks good. Will Probably get one coz I just bought eight of the 262 variants by Hobbyboss.

Paul Harrison

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Messerschmitt Me.262 HGIII by Amusing Hobby - box art+sprues+test model - release in 2022

You must remember that HG.III was part of a progressive evolution / development at a time when there was no full scale data for highly swept wings, to validate the wind tunnel testing. The only aircraft to fly with a 60 degree swept wing was the Horten H.XIIIa glider, to explore low speed handing.  The limitations of tunnel testing and lack of real world full scale experiment by the Germans is often overlooked. Really the Ju.287 is the only example.

At the same time, its likely that Messerschmitt was to utilise as many standard Me.262 parts as possible.  Whether HG.III was seen as anything more than a test aircraft is a moot point

Ignoring a lot of the rather fanciful projects, that were really paper studies  exploring the best way forward, the Me.P1110 and P1112 were serious projects and very much pointed toward the postwar line of jet development.

Having said that - the kit looks superb !

Paul;

• Like 2

OPM ????

Each to their own and all that.

However, what is Luft46 ?    The Ju.287 V1 and V2 existed, they were real, even though cobbled together from an He,177 and bits of Ju.188. Design of the the first production prototype Ju.287 was started but not finished before the end of the war........ should we ignore it (OK it was completed in Russia.

Similarly the Hs.132 jet dive bomber was never completed, nor the production Me.263.

Interestingly a German friend of mine adamantly maintains that if a plane never flew, it was no more than a project - I've mixed feelings about that.

I would personally agree that many design studies were made for comparison with other layouts and were never seriously meant to lead to a flyable aircraft.  Here I would agree that there is (usually) little merit in modelling them, although its fascinating to see in 3D the evolution of the Me.262 for instance.

I sold off most of my collection of Luft 46 models and retained only those that were serious proposals or were developed in detail such as the Bv.P215 or on which metal was actually cut, such as the Ta.183.

What I do dislike is fantasy models produced by companies that imply they were genuine studies such as the HG.IV with the pilot in a large triangular fin.

Other incomplete projects rematerialised postwar  - Me.P1101 as the Bell X5,   Arado Ar234 V15 crescent wing on the Victor etc

Paul

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mu17 said:

OPM ????

Each to their own and all that.

However, what is Luft46 ?    The Ju.287 V1 and V2 existed, they were real, even though cobbled together from an He,177 and bits of Ju.188. 

You forgot to add the bits used from the salvaged B-24!

• Like 1

'HG.III was supposed to be transonic research plane, and definitely valid project at war's end, 

p.1112 HG II with V-tail was supposed to be final Me project to field second gen.jet around 1947-48, because Ta 183 in both iterations, second probably being serial prod. was seen as optimal interim day fighter,can't wait do have mine.

• Like 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Messerschmitt Me.262 HGIII by Amusing Hobby - box art+sprues+test model - release in May 2022 ?

Announced in May by Modellbaukönig GmbH & Co KG for 29,95 €

https://www.modellbau-koenig.de/Flugzeuge/Flugzeuge-1-48/Achse-Flugzeuge-WK-II-1-48/Luftwaffe-Flugzeuge-WK-II-1-48/Me262-HGIII

Also here: https://www.dominomodel.com/fr/p/32975718/me262-hg-iii/

ah48a003.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Haha 1

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Messerschmitt Me.262 HGIII by Amusing Hobby - released
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Messerschmitt Me.262 HGIII by Amusing Hobby - HGIII/2 released - HGIII/1 & HGIII/3 in project

New variants are expected from 2024.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid02ng6R8GQcDgv14uB3WzzU1hoAjG4xbk3YNzvUvpxtCaPDNNS79XTPwq6ZiY6P6zbRl&id=100063746701018

3D renders

- ref. 48A??? - Messerschmitt Me.262 HGIII/1 - V-Tail

428641927-902359825232233-51374029316442

428626237-902359928565556-65923332000676

- ref. 48A??? - Messerchmitt Me.262 HGIII/3 - new cockpit variant

428642062-902360091898873-14790902381893

428635170-902360178565531-41353636366246

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

Great to see the V-tail version being available but I would like to question HG.III/3.

Although it has appeared in a number of books, I do not recall ever seeing an ORIGINAL Messerschmitt drawing of this design.

I am happy to be proved wrong but can anyone provide real evidence that this is anything more than a postwar fantasy ?

Paul

• Like 1

I know Lippisch was looking at this type of cockpit.  Fattening up this area of fuselage would help area rule for transconic flight, why not put cockpit there...  This concept also had the sweapt low drag tail.

I also would like to see the ME drawing, but there is alot of other refs that point to this as final version of HG concept...

At the time I don't think area rule was understood.  Yes this appears in lots of books but there are quite a few German projects or variants that have appeared in many publications, for which there is no hard evidence. Its frustrating when models are sold and the average modeller assumes they are based in reality.

A good example is the recent He162 variants - the two seater bears no resemblence to the real thing. 

Paul

8 hours ago, Mu17 said:

At the time I don't think area rule was understood.

No...  not to the extent of later work, but the benefits could be measured in a wind tunnel...  Wolfgang Haack defined this curve and proportion for minimum wave drag in 1941.  So the Germans were on it.

Interestingly, the shape of the V-2 body seems to follow the optimum min wave drag shape...  so that design feature was contemplated...

Edited by Tokyo Raider