Kustom Boosta Blasta (Warhammer 40k)

Some time ago I built another model from this range the "Boomdakka Scrapjet"

One I made earlier

So I have started another...

spacer.png

This is the "Kustom Boosta Blasta", as you can perhaps see, I am trying to assemble the vehicle in sub assemblies. You can perhaps see the only smear of filler used so far on the scuttle behind the engine? Everything fits together so well you can push fit the sub assemblies

spacer.png

Notice the unusual way this kit is designed, the driver's boots are moulded in the footwell

spacer.png

...but when you add the figure the fit is perfect. I guess that the model has been designed using CAD/CAM to achieve this accuracy of fit. Here's another example

spacer.png

This little guy goes together like this

spacer.png

and where he will end up

spacer.png

All good relaxing fun.

• Like 5

Good evening, I'm Clive, your driver for today...

spacer.png

The first job is put a stick up Clive's b*m and then undercoat with Artist's Gesso

spacer.png

This stuff is wonderful, it shrinks as it dries and sticks to plastic really well, it gives a fine surface texture which takes acrylic paint superbly without obscuring any surface detail (and it isn't smelly!)

spacer.png

And a quick application of dark green as a base for Ork skin

spacer.png

There is so much interesting detail on these figures (we also have Derek, the gunner and ride-on associates Sid and Stu) it is a shame that this guy will be hidden away inside the vehicle!

• Like 6

More progress on Clive. He has a basic skin tone established Vallejo Flat Green over Military Green with some highlighting with Flat Green + Buff, then the metal bits picked out in flat Black

spacer.png

Now pick out the metallic bits with Gunmetal Steel and some Brass colours (again all Vallejo Model Colour)

spacer.png

Clive is modelling from the latest Levi's range for the discerning psychopathic greenskin

spacer.png

And here we have the Vehicle assistants, Sid and Stu

spacer.png

Forgive the poor photography, all shots taken freehand under an LED desk lamp. But hopefully it gives you an idea of the character and detail on these models. 

• Like 4

Love these Ork vehicles - I've built this one but I'm not sure what my painting plan ended up being as there's so much interior detail. Will keep an eye on your sub-assemblies for ideas.

Cheers,

Will

So, I have reached a point where I cannot keep assembling without getting some painting done. So I have the main chassis, complete with twin V6 engines and drivers seat (and boots) and various sub-assemblies that I am going to prime before going any further (and also the crew figures) 

spacer.png

As there is a lot of unpainted metal on the vehicle I have primed using Vallejo "Gloss Black Primer - Metal Color" chucked on with muh airbrush.

spacer.png

Not terribly clear I know but it isn't very interesting, just bits of plastic that used to be a dull grey colour that are now shiny black!

Meanwhile work has almost been completed on the chassis assembly...

spacer.png

Coming soon, we re-unite Clive with his boots (and his feet!)

Edited by Rumblestripe
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Progress. Clive has been installed in the vehicle...

spacer.png

It's funny how a photograph show you your mistakes, hmmm, need to tidy that fuel tank.

spacer.png

.... ride on mechanic Stu joins us.

spacer.png

Those sub assemblies, the detail on these vehicles is great fun

spacer.png

Finally, for now, Derek's shooty-bangy thing.

• Like 3

Bringing it together

OK so most of the basic paint has been applied so we are starting to assemble the full model. This sort of goes back to the sequence in the GW instructions. Here we go...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Derek is simply sitting in place, he needs to come out again so that I can paint the "Hot Rod Flames" on the bodywork

spacer.png

All this lovely mad detail is about to disappear...

spacer.png

Going...

spacer.png

Gone! Ah well I know it's in there.

spacer.png

That seem will need tidying before the next step which is... Flamez!

This is how I paint "hot rod flames"

spacer.png

First paint the flames in white, then lemon yellow, orange and finally red. Tidy up and errors with black and then a sealing coat of matt varnish.

In this example Vallejo Model Colour; White 951, Lemon Yellow 952, Light Orange 956 and Vermillion 909

More soon! Take care, stay safe everyone.

• Like 1