P-40F from Hobbyboss P-40M?

Threadbear

I have the Hobbyboss P-40M quickbuild kit in 1 /48th scale and was wondering whether there is any possibility it could be converted back to a long tailed P-40F? I realise that the intake on the cowling top would need removing, and maybe new exhausts? 

I find all the late P-40 variants rather confusing! Also isnt it time, w had a new series of P-40 late variants in 1/48th scale? 

Thanks for any comments. 

That's probably too much work if you want close to an accurate result.

You might like to find an AMT P-40F boxing on an auction site or marketplace as a better/easier  alternative in 1/48th.

Totally agree that a new series is overdue from a manufacturer, the P-40F model is neglected.

I thought the P-40 series was on the Eduard road map, but it could take awhile.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Threadbear said:

I have the Hobbyboss P-40M quickbuild kit in 1 /48th scale and was wondering whether there is any possibility it could be converted back to a long tailed P-40F? I realise that the intake on the cowling top would need removing, and maybe new exhausts? 

As Graham say, the nose is different shape.  I don't know how well Hobbyboss have tackled the P-40.   The only time the Merlin engine variants were done were as resin noses for the AMT/AMtech kits I believe.

3 hours ago, Threadbear said:

I find all the late P-40 variants rather confusing! Also isnt it time, w had a new series of P-40 late variants in 1/48th scale? 

As you mentioned, it's a complex subject.   AFAIK, the Hasegawa kits are rated as 'very good'  the only main complaint I have  seen is the use of fuselage inserts, and their availability and price. 

Hobby 2000 are due to reissue the Hasegawa P-40N

Some discussions on Merlin P-40 in 1/48th which have some useful info

Though you may well come away feeling more confused. 

Short version, no easy accurate OOB way  to do a Merlin engined P-40 in 1/48th.

HTH

• Like 1

Thanks for your combined input to my questions regarding the P-40F. I guessed that the P-40F will be put on hold for now and get scouring for the AMT or Hasegawa P-40 for a “reasonable” price. 

8 minutes ago, Threadbear said:

and get scouring for the AMT or Hasegawa P-40 for a “reasonable” price. 

I suggest trying our wanted section, 'don't ask-don't get', and all that,  I mention this as  pre-owned kits have become much more in demand since many folks have found themselves stuck at home since Covid-19.  They would be easier to get in the US, but post tends to make this unreasonable.   

Note the AMT kits of the P-40E/K and P40M/N were reissued by Italeri during the last 10 years. 

On 1/2/2021 at 9:23 AM, Troy Smith said:

The only time the Merlin engine variants were done were as resin noses for the AMT/AMtech kits I believe.

AMT did an OOB P-40F although it was short tail and thus needed to be crosskitted with an N for a long tail version. IMHO their rendition of the nose intake was better in overall shape than the resin replacement, although it did require a bit of scratchbuilding for the tubular carb intake inside the fairing. AMTech had the same plastic (as well as a resin nose) with the long tail fuselage ready-made..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1