Looped's 2020 year in review

looped80times

Hi everyone, happy new year! This year I got back into modeling after a 3 year break and overall made it a pretty productive year. Here are some pictures of the models chronologically and at the very end a group photo of them all together, each model I tried to do something new so I left a few comments for each kit. Enjoy!

Academy 1/48 F-4B/N My first model in 3 years so just me trying to get back into the swing of things.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Hasegawa 1/48 F-4EJ target tow. This kit was inspired by a model online and was the first time I used Mr Hobby paints. I messed up using them here but I think the result is still pretty nice. I now use mostly Mr Hobby paints unless noted otherwise.

spacer.png

Q2X1Lkw.jpg

Here is an image of both of them together, Ive since given these to my father so they are not in the final group photo together.

G6NdStf.jpg

Zvezda 1/48 Mi-24 V/VP. This was my first kit from Zvezda and my first helicopter ever. For the interior I used the Eduard PE set and this kit I really nailed using Mr Hobby paints. This is still one of my favorites and I hope to do more helicopters in the future.

AfZAzrF.jpg

kuT8o9V.jpg

IrYhbg4.jpg

Some detail shots

1sfObnF.jpg

5FGpwAG.jpg

M6i3nOG.jpg

Some pictures from the build 

5b9H14G.jpg

QJqqEkZ.jpg

Kittyhawk 1/48 Su-27UB. I've always wanted to build a two seater Su-27 so I bought this kit as soon as it came out despite its flaws. On this kit I practiced scratch building as I wanted to make the model as close to the real Red 10 aircraft as I could. This involved scratch building the pylons to be the same as my reference images, as well as repairing a massive gap on the engine nacelles. This kit has great surface detail but damn does Kittyhawk need to work on fit and proofreading instructions, the GWH version will for sure be less stress to build if you want to build one of these. 

OGIK5Nv.jpg

O2Cr13U.jpg

rDZjuyR.jpg

Here is a picture of the real deal

9F5iPAP.jpg

GWH 1/48 Su-35s in the 901 prototype scheme. After the trouble the KH kit put me through I wanted a build that would go together very nice and this kit for sure was that. This was my first kit using painting mask and aftermarket decals. The masks are from DXM I think and the decals from Begemot. Overall really happy with how this turned out particularly the engines. If I could do it again I would make the tan lighter but oh well.

OFsZ5zu.jpg

MWEkxoY.jpg

cXAo5qq.jpg

pGc20UP.jpg

9C45uzr.jpg

AMK 1/48 F-14D. I'm really happy how this kit turned out and still think it's my best so far. I my focus on this one was to try and make the paint job perfect as well as make it look really dirty. I love how nicely the grays blend together. This is a really amazing kit especially if you want to have everything open.

RT9MBtL.jpg

1wgwQjL.jpg

Iy1g5Y8.jpg

Zoax6JX.jpg

Tamiya 1/48 F-117N. This kit is the first so far to be painted in Tamiya acrylics, mainly NATO black in addition to lots of color modulation. This is also my first go around at an all black aircraft. Im pretty happy how it turned out and it's just such a nice plane to put on the shelf. The decals are aftermarket from Caracal. 

E92Yw83.jpg

pHNIzjd.jpg

M8nOLiJ.jpg

Hard to beat look 

dcFn3uS.jpg

Tamiya 1/48 F-16 CJ block 25. This really is a stellar kit with just how much detail and stuff is included. My main focus for this kit was to take it slower and really detail the munitions as much as the plane itself. All the munitions were done before painting the model so I didn't rush them all after the fact. I love how F-16s look like fully loaded so I'm super happy with this one. Only downside to this kit is the decals were pretty bad especially using mr mark setter and softer.  

Is4MJ3z.jpg

S9QAXFJ.jpgmIMkwtQ.jpg

ycDkyJ9.jpg

Now for something totally different....

Wingnut wings 1/32 DFW C.V Late production. Well I've never built a WW1 aircraft and for some reason I felt like it would be appropriate for the holidays. I found this kit at my local hobby store and figured I had to do a scheme with that amazing purple. The kit is painted with Tamiya paints and I'm really happy how it turned out. The obvious big challenge for me was just the completely different work flow with a biplane and of course rigging.

8PdQ5lg.jpg

Close up of the engine, propeller, and rigging 

fFAYY5s.jpg

1WW46fP.jpg

Here are some pictures of the internal structure.

LJ03Uwj.jpg

9NJFMEq.jpg

HobbyBoss 1/72 Su-47. This is a quick little kit I finished right before Christmas in a matter of a few days. No real challenge here just a quick build.

fbKCuC4.jpg

URupSKn.jpg

And finally a group picture of all of them.

hMtBICE.jpg

5VYM87I.jpg

Despite 2020 being a bad year I found some relief though modeling. This year I am going to try and post more frequently here, currently working on the AMK 1/48 Kfir so I'll post that here for sure. Wishing everyone a happy and healthy 2021! Thanks for taking a look!

• Like 16

9 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Superb, what a productive year you have had! Your painting skills have definitely improved over the year, the F14 is wonderful, good job!

They definitely have, really excited to try something challenging this year. Thanks!

9 hours ago, ForestFan said:

Looks like you had a very productive year! Very nice

Yes, Thank you!