Which 1:72 Lancaster?

Paul H

My primary aim is simply an easily and (relatively) quick to build model Lancaster for my display cabinet (to go with the other smaller sized 1:72 WW2 planes that I am building or which are waiting to be built - in diorama terms, think of it more as an air museum display) rather than for contests or anything like that, so some of the detail variations in accuracy and differences are not as critical to me (simply because I would not spot them) as they would rightly be to a dedicated Lancaster / Bomber Command enthusiast.

I've been having a search through both on here & elsewhere online regarding the various options for a 1:72 Lancaster.  In terms of easy availability at the moment in the UK, there seems to be three options, all of which are currrently available for sensible money:

1. Airfix (recent tooling)
  2. Revell
  3. Airfix (late 1970s / early '80s tooling)

It seems from in the box reviews that the new Airfix is the overall best buy, but lacks a bomb load (however I already have the RAF supply set, having picked one up recently for a very good price), whereas the Revell apparently has slight dihedral issues & crude main wheels.  However, how noticiable actually is that wing issue?  Also, are the included engines decent enough to have opened up (& displayed with the supply set's maintenance tower) or are they simply not worth bothering with at all?  I appreciate that a resin conversion would be much superior but do they pass muster as a decent(ish) representation?  I ask since I have not seen pics of one built with them shown.  Finally, there is the previous Airfix which is much simpler inside and also has raised details.  Whilst the new Airfix & Revell are clearly superior internally, how much of all that extra interior detailing is actually visible once assembled, especially if the crew figures are used?    This older tooling one also looks like it could be a quicker build, provided it all goes together easily.

One other thing - can the Dambusters versions of each still be built as a regular Lancaster, or are the relevant parts not included?  These seem easier & less expensive at the moment than the 'normal' versions.

Finally, whilst each seems to have their different merits (even the previous tooling Airfix one!) in terms of detail and / or accuracy and based on the threads on here, all can be built into very smart models.  However what remains unclear is which is the easiest to build, and whilst I have built plenty of 1:24 cars, I am relatively new to aircraft kits*, so this is a very important consideration!

*One of the current ones includes Airfix's elderly 1:72 Mosquito which is probably the furthest along, and stalled only due to my own mistakes with painting rather than any fault of the kit itself.  I also have a Tamiya one to build at a later point but am still quite happy with the Airfix one.

In light of all this, I would very much appreiciate your thoughts on each of these kits, & which would be the best for a novice aircraft modeller!

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 2

1. the easiest to build is the old, but recent, (not the first issue, the one the new tool replaced) Lancaster. The newest one has lots of internal details and very tight tolerances. Get these wrong and things don't fit

2. Although most Dam Buster kits eg the Airfix old kit, have the parts to build a standard Lancaster, the fuselage is different. The Dam Buster Lancaster did not have the dorsal turret and this section is moulded over on most of the Dam Buster kits. Its not just a case of cutting a hole for the turret though.

3. crew figures with the old Airfix kit but none with the new one

• Like 1

I've just recently finished the Revell Lancaster and was fairly pleased with it. The panel lines on the wings don't seem to be realistic (and some made up?) but it's a good kit. The dorsal turret is rather bulbous, and the fairing a little off. The Airfix kit would probably be a more "Lancaster" looking Lancaster, if that makes sense. I got the Dambusters one for Christmas and just checked - there is a hole for the dorsal turret (and also the turret itself). All that being said, I wouldn't hesitate to build another Revell Lanc but I'm expecting the Airfix kit to be a better build. 

• Like 1

When I see this sort of question pop up and these kits mentioned, something that I always see not mentioned when it comes to the Revell kit, is the length and wingspan - both of which are short.  I do not believe that the wingspan's width issue is due to the dihedral problem, mind you, I've not taken to chopping up wings to find out.  I believe the wingspan is just too short period.

I've kept my collection of Lancaster kits to the new(ish) Airfix one and their earlier 1979 releases - those ones particularly since the molds were new then and in the best shape.  I've seen reissues of this kit and the molds have suffered over time.

My inclination is to run with the 1979 release with added CMK resin sets to spruce it up.  The CMK sets are intended for the Hasegawa kit, but they will work quite nicely with the Airfix kits (both old and new).  I was also fortunate to find a clear parts sprue in eBay for the new(ish) Airfix Lancaster.  The plan is to use it with one of my 1979 releases, it appears that it will fit just nicely.

HTH.

Edited by Wm Blecky
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Paul H said:

an easily and (relatively) quick to build model Lancaster  ...  which would be the best for a novice aircraft modeller

These are the two key phrases I am using to provide an answer. Taking it at your word, then:

- Ultimate scale accuracy is not the issue.

- Ease and speed of build are the issues.

- Avoid aftermarket parts (decals excepted), and attempt only the very simplest alterations, if any. 

- Remember, there is only one person whose opinion counts on the 'acceptability' of your finished model, and it's not mine or anyone else's here, but yours.

The Revell kit is by far the easiest to build to a nice standard. It's also cheap. Even the dihedral fix, if you choose to give it a go, is pretty easy but given what you;ve said about the project you want, if you can live without changing it, leave it alone. I am one of those people who notices the too-shallow dihedral, other people don't find it troublesome. Look at some finished models on here and on review sites and decide for yourself whether it bothers you.

As a novice modeller looking for a quick easy build it's really the quickest, easiest option. Cheap enough in time and cash that you won't get nervous about screwing it up, which may help you have relaxed fun. But to build a standard bomber you will need the standard kit - the Dambuster one doesn't come with all the standard bomber parts, I think (without checking) that it's the standard bomb bay which is missing

I love the 1979 Airfix kit and have several but you WILL need filler especially around the nacelle to wing joints, and then you will be faced with the rubbing-down dilemma, losing raised rivets and panel lines, and end up wanting to rescribe the whole thing... at which point it is not a novice project or quick/easy.  Yes, there is a lack of internal detailing by today's standards. But it's hidden behind thickish transparencies with lots of framing. So I suggest this is probably not a factor for you at this stage in your modelling -- worry about that more when you do something with an opening canopy or a big super-clear bubble canopy.

The modern Airfix kit is good but does require considerable precision and attention to detail in assembly to get it to fit - it does not have the more forgiving fit tolerances of the Revell kit. 

As we see above William B is particularly bothered by the slightly short span of the Revell kit. If you do comparative measurements you will see that it is indeed there. As with the dihedral, this is where you have to make your own choice - some people find it irksome, others don't. If you have a row of different 1/72 Lancaster makes in a line then you might detect it visually , but as a single model on the shelf... well, same advice applies. Go look at some photos of finished examples and decide for yourself whether it screams "stumpy wing" at you. It has certainly never bothered me.

The fact is that if you like Lancasters and are a novice builder, you will be building a better Lancaster in a few years anyway. Building something now that is a straightforward project will increase your skills and confidence and give you something to aspire to beat when you do your next one. If you invest too much time and effort and budget in this one you will feel more invested in it, and more awkward about replacing it in a year or so's time when you know how to do it so much better. At that point maybe a new-tool Airfix one will be the right choice for you.

As a build thread to look at, I'd suggest this might be a good one for you to review. It is someone who at that time (2015) considered himself a relatively inexperienced modeller building the Revell kit without changing the wing. I think it came out well. He did use after-market wheels, but that's a drop-in substitution so not one that caused any sweat - again, a choice you can make on a personal level, or even change after you've finished the rest of the model if you wish.

And here's another one done without modifications, wheels-up this time in an in-flight configuration

Edited by Work In Progress
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

The Revell dihedral issue is correctable but the Airfix kit (either of them) doesn't have this issue to start with. If you don't fix it it definitely looks wrong.

The Airfix Dambuster has all the parts to make a standard B.I or B.III. At least the initial release did. I built it as one.

Airfix offer a B.II which is either being re-released or has been. No-one else does this version and it gives you the bulged bomb doors and ventral turret options common to this version.

The only downside to the new Airfix kit I found was that you need to put the main undercarriage legs in early in construction so they need protecting from damage during later assembly and painting,  As a result you sort of need to complete the kit in one go unless you have plenty of space to store half completed kits in safety.

Oh, and new Airfix kits do have very tight tolerances. It's also best to follow their instructions in building stages even though they sometimes seem counter-intuitive. 

Having built Airfix, (new , 1980 and the original 1960? kit),  Matchbox, new and 1960s Revell and Hasegawa. I'd go with the new Airfix myself. Unless you want a Tallboy or Grand Slam in which case Hasegawa (if you can find one).

Stuart

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Work In Progress said:

. But to build a standard bomber you will need the standard kit - the Dambuster one doesn't come with all the standard bomber parts, I think (without checking) that it's the standard bomb bay which is missing

I just checked and about the only thing missing from the Revell Dambuster that would stop you from building a B.I/III is the bomb-bay doors.

So, yeah, you would need a regular Revell Lancaster kit to build a regular bomber.

Chris

• Like 1