HMS Portchester Castle

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Really nice work on the boats there, but are you sure about the colours of the Carley floats?  Even in peacetime I've never seen them painted yellow and red.  Or is that my monitor's colour definition giving up the ghost?

I'm not Keith (sorry!), I'm Mike but I'll try to answer (even more apologies!) as must admit, I feel my guilt.

I did the same in my model.

When I was doing research for my Castle, I found this Copper's Cliff photo:

COP0013.jpg

I know, these colours were quite uncommon. And maybe I wrongly interpretated colours. And I see white colour on the floats too.  And quite probably it is  peacetime photo? But as I had photo, I couldn't resist...😳

😉

These dark boat-davits are interesiting too...

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Michal.  I think that is still wartime as they still have the HMCS on their cap tallies.  To be fair I know that the Canadian's followed the RN rules to a degree but then did their own thing in other areas so maybe it was a Canadian thing.  

Thanks for responding anyway and forwarding that photo.  I agree that it certainly breaks it up and makes it look a little more interesting.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Chewbacca said:

... I think that is still wartime as they still have the HMCS on their cap tallies.  To be fair I know that the Canadian's followed the RN rules to a degree but then did their own thing in other areas so maybe it was a Canadian thing. ...

You're probably right.  RCN cap tally ribbons bearing the ships' names were withdrawn for security reasons during wartime, and H.M.C.S. was normally worn instead.  In shore based training establishments other ribbons were sometimes permitted, if in accordance with local dress instructions..

John

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Chewbacca I must admit I have followed along the similar lines of Michal's build but this photo below shows the kit as advertised from Atlantic models web site and Peter Hall has the life rafts painted as yellow  :shrug:

spacer.png

I think I will be leaving them this yellow but will dull down with a very dark wash.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mick b said:

Found this picture of a Canadian River (allegedly 1944/45) on the net which at least shows yellow float on their ships?

spacer.png

Mike

Red-yellow stripes by my old  eysight-ball eyevisor😉

Michal.

Edited by socjo1
  • Haha 1

Well very slow progress just can not get in to gear these days. managed some rails and the depth charge launchers and racks at the side also the stern rack ready for some paint and dry fitted the side supports.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will be working on the base over the weekend hopefully it will warm up a bit from -9

Stay Safe and Warm

beefy

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Courageous said:

How big is that depth charge rack...

Stuart

Stuart the rack is 13mm long then the load ladder is another 4mm and from the WEM instructions I used 1.5mm rod cut to 2mm lengths to fill it i also have some of the micro master DC racks but they are for another project

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

Cheers Gent's

small update been making a start on weathering the hull and making the Hawser rings from lead wire before fitting the anchor chains and painted the name plates but think the red is a bit to bright may re do with a red brown.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And made up the Black Cat twin mounts the detail is amazing on these.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

And made up the Black Cat twin mounts the detail is amazing on these.

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

Cheers,

I agree - twin Oerlikons looks indeed very impressive, however as I wrote earlier a few times Portchester Castle carried only single A-A guns. Maybe as very early ship of its class. The same armament had i.e. Carisbrooke, Kenilworth,Hadleigh Castles. You can clearly see very distinctive shields of sinle Oerlikons located on aft guns platform:

609284-29191-24-pristine.jpg

Another photo is in your 😉 Goodwin and Bush's Castle Class Corvettes  p.267 and conlcusion is the same 😉

Best regards,

Michal.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Well made a start on the base quite a bit of inspiration for this came from @JohnWS and his Regina build those photos just hit the light switch something along the same lines as my Eskimo build.

spacer.png

And a bit of Chris Flodberg some what similar

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay safe

beefy

• Like 11

OK so very slow progress but still getting something done base so far and the little 20mm Single Oerlikons and started on some of the rigging.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 14

This is a really cracking build Beefy. I love the weathering on the hull, and the attention to detail. I have that German Destroyer book. I wondered if you were giving us a clue on a future build, Big Boy scale of course!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Cheers Geoff and Terry

Terry I have already started on Z43 along with my Graf Zeppelin build so think it will be a Big boy build when done but at least with that being a what if nobody can say I am doing it wrong.  :facepalm:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

being a what if nobody can say I am doing it wrong.  :facepalm:

Stay Safe

beefy

I will be quiet, I promiss!

:giggle:

Regards, Michal

Edited by socjo1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, socjo1 said:

I will be quiet, I promiss!

:giggle:

Regards, Michal

Michal that comment was not meant to be aimed at you it was to mean I can let my imagination run wild with that build 

I really appreciate your input and help with this build I am learning a lot about these little ships :book:

Stay Safe 

beefy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/02/2021 at 12:17, beefy66 said:

I really appreciate your input and help with this build I am learning a lot about these little ships :book:

Stay Safe 

beefy 

Thanks a lot 😉 !

it was to mean I can let my imagination run wild with that build 

I understand you well. I know this feeling as well. Wind of creation on my face...

....and pieces of polystyrene in my hair. Filings of resin in mouth.

Of course, as all I love the taste of resin in the morning!

We want build terrific, fantastic star-wars warrior juggernaut,

or biggest ever soooper-dooper Tri/three-smarck or even Four-smarck!

But finally...

... as always we have something like this:

... just ordinary pig.

:rolleyes:

E9QxdknE7BtU6lvZQPMWkGC2L396HYPAATTCUe1M

qvLQkErlJzZa7EmG6pFx8hkNSFRMys-4VPSchxt6

(forgive me Off-Topic please!)

Edited by socjo1
  • Haha 4