HMS Portchester Castle

Well parcel arrived today ordered Thursday top service from Starling Models.

Black Cat Squid ASW Mortar, Twin Orelikon power mount and some single 20mm Oerlikon and a small kit from Starling well they did have a discount on them.  :whistle:  

spacer.png

spacer.png

Somehow these kits are getting smaller  :hypnotised:

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 7

On 1/12/2021 at 7:31 AM, Courageous said:

And some how they keep turning up, big boys again is it?

Stuart

Not quite the BIG boy's unless you mean the BIG FAT LAD in the red costume but more like Christmas money to use up before missus b try's to say i need new things to wear I cant go anywhere so why do I need cloths I say to her  :elephant:

On 1/12/2021 at 12:19 PM, Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies said:

That Round Table class is possibly my favourite build ever, mostly the kit, but partly because I didn't screw it up too badly.

Well it was your build that swayed me in to getting it and If I get anywhere near it will be good for me.

Well had a little try of the Black Cat Motor and WOW what detail you get in these so clean and smooth compared to some Shapeways stuff I have used but never again.

A little comparison to the WEM and the old FROG we really are getting spoilt as modellers these days.  :yahoo:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 5

On 09/01/2021 at 11:10, socjo1 said:

Forgive me off-topic.

Black Cat sells Limbo mortars too? Or Puma had squids? These two types of mortars differented much more than Bofors gun versions, I suppose...

Hi Michal, Apologies for the delay in responding.  Yes, the Cat class had Squid mortars.  The first with Limbo I think were the Whitbys

rRcdvRo8oAbq0OGAHg6UoWMU4NXwaUKZdWMHZ5DN

On 11/01/2021 at 20:35, beefy66 said:

Well parcel arrived today ordered Thursday top service from Starling Models.

Should have waited and ordered mine from Mike!  When I put the order in, he wasn't showing the Bofors Mk VII in stock so I ordered direct from Black Cat.  Apparently they were despatched over a week ago so I suspect they're sitting in a customs warehouse somewhere because someone hasn't filled in a document correctly.  Hopefully they'll turn up soon

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Should have waited and ordered mine from Mike!  When I put the order in, he wasn't showing the Bofors Mk VII in stock so I ordered direct from Black Cat.  Apparently they were despatched over a week ago so I suspect they're sitting in a customs warehouse somewhere because someone hasn't filled in a document correctly.  Hopefully they'll turn up soon

Just before Christmas I ordered some bits from Black Cat, they managed to get them away on the 18th December, so almost literally just before Christmas, I was hoping to receive them before Brexit day, but t'was not to be, I'm not sure if it was down to the Christmas mailing rush or because of  the B word, but eventually received the package early last week so probably just over 2 weeks transit time.

As always well worth the wait 😀 👍

• Like 1

Well slow week this one first full week back at work so not much enthusiasm to do much at the bench

But did get some paint on over last couple of days now it is a bit warmer I think I thinned the white a bit to much so had some bleed through the tape but the weathering should help cover up that.

I will also be repainting the lower hull black after reading up on some information  :book:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

I know your pains... Both:

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

full week back at work so not much enthusiasm to do much at the bench (...)

The same - not much enthusiasm sitting at the bench after working at the bench, especially when ... WINTER HAS BACK. Today -13 Celsius and 10 cm snow. Not to much snow but in such circumstances even Central Poland which is as flat as a frying pan seems beautifull. So only option was outdoor weekend and lot of forest back country skiiiiing with friends.

I will also be repainting the lower hull black after reading up on some information  

Me too 😉

Best regards,

M.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 3

Missed this one from the start Beefy, but have just had a catch up from the beginning. Lovely subject, and your usual exquisite work. Very glad to hear Mrs Beefy is OK. Seem to have lost my modelling mojo lately, since before Xmas, but I'm sure it will return, especially when I look at threads like this one!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Thanks again Gent's for the kind words

Small update most of the main paint done few touch ups to sort and dry fitted most of the painted items will be putting a coat of clear on the hull to take the pennant numbers and draft marks but before I did that i started to tidy the hull colour demarcation lines by using a fine sanding stick this started to wear through in some areas where the painted plating was so this showed through some of the hull red I had applied before repainting a dark grey.

So this is the start of the weathering trying to get the worn look but not to over the top

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 11

Well small update decals fitted and funnel stays also glued down some of the main bits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And started painting up the ships boats

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Well small update went back through some of the info Michal had given me and realised that around 1944/45 the castle's only carried the whaler and 16 ft dinghy the motor launch was added later i was only going from the instructions in the kit.

So used a micro master dinghy and made up the Carley floats and added the mortar launcher to the forward bridge platform

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some tidy up work to be done around the bridge

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

Really nice work on the boats there, but are you sure about the colours of the Carley floats?  Even in peacetime I've never seen them painted yellow and red.  Or is that my monitor's colour definition giving up the ghost?