HMS Portchester Castle

Well New Year and a New build White Ensign Models 1/350 scale Castle Class Corvette I will be building as Portchester Castle as she was built on the Tyne at Swan Hunters.

I got this kit second hand about 5 years ago it even has a few extras in the box which should come in handy.

I have also be given some very nice reference material from @socjo1   Thanks again  :book:

Just got the lower and upper hull together and been working on getting the filler smoothed over ready for priming but will attempt to add the hull plate lines we will see.  :hmmm:

spacer.png

Bridge and other fittings just dry fit for now.

spacer.png

Some of the extras I found in the box

spacer.png

very comprehensive PE sheet

spacer.png

Will be painting her same as the box top art work also using a short cut to @andrewa excellent build of the same model great sea scape but mine will not be so dramatic.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 15

21 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Great looking kit  - I know it's going to be good!

Happy new year

Rob

No pressure then  :doh: and happy New Year to you and your family Rob

20 hours ago, Courageous said:

And he's off!

Happy New Year

Stuart

Well more like  :snail: you know my build speed by now and Happy New Year to you and your family Stuart

19 hours ago, longshanks said:

There is no holding him, he's like a man possessed ......🚴‍♂️

Carry on Sir. hope you have a good 2021

Kev

Well 2021 has not got off to a good start I have to isolate missus b tested positive but we are all OK at least from Monday I can work from home but the model room is to tempting.  :cry:

Work today was a trial on getting some hull lines using the masking tape method think it worked.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also had to replace some deck vets using the Micro Master ones and bollards from the supports after I broke them

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also started on the main gun and mortar launcher which I might change if I can find one from the spares box.  :hmmm:

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 12

4 hours ago, longshanks said:

Up and over the first fence......

Hope the Mrs makes a speedy recovery

Kev

:ditto:

Sorry I missed this beefy.  I got caught up in your photos, & missed your descriptions.

Here's wishing your wife a full & speedy recovery.

John

• Thanks 1

I know what you mean about that Squid mortar.  I was looking to try to replace the one that I have for PUMA.

I wonder if my Grandfather helped build her?  I know he worked for Hawthorn Leslie pre-war and in the first part of the war (he was very proud of building and then repairing KELLY twice) but at some point he moved to Swans as they had more work but I've never been able to find out exactly when that was or what ships he worked on there.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, longshanks said:

Up and over the first fence......

Hope the Mrs makes a speedy recovery

Kev

8 hours ago, JohnWS said:

:ditto:

Sorry I missed this beefy.  I got caught up in your photos, & missed your descriptions.

Here's wishing your wife a full & speedy recovery.

John

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

I know what you mean about that Squid mortar.  I was looking to try to replace the one that I have for PUMA.

I wonder if my Grandfather helped build her?  I know he worked for Hawthorn Leslie pre-war and in the first part of the war (he was very proud of building and then repairing KELLY twice) but at some point he moved to Swans as they had more work but I've never been able to find out exactly when that was or what ships he worked on there.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Gents not to worry about missus b she is not showing any symptoms and is still a nuisance  :facepalm: and says Thank for the get well wishes.

Chewy a few of my family also worked in the ship yards around the area over the years and that is why I try and build as many from the local yards as possible I have Kelly as a future build some day.

So small update from this morning the hull lines came out OK see what great tips you can pick up on here.  :book: and I also drilled out the drain holes and depth charge release around the stern area

I found another mortar launcher from my Trafalgar build but this is 325 scale not sure if it will look to big  :hmmm:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also looking to replace the navigation equipment with some stuff from L'Arsenal the moulded bits look a bit plane

spacer.png

spacer.png

The mortar for size comparison

spacer.png

And funnel cap fitted

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 8

Hi Beefy

1) First off Please pass my regards to your good lady wife.  PM me if you need any practical advice though I'm delighted she's  asymptomatic

2) Love the panel lines.  I clearly haven't been paying attention in class - what did you spray to get that effect?

3) In terms of Mortar - are you aware that Black Cat do one??  https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/weapons/159-squid-asw-mortar-x2.html

4) I always thought the items in the L'arsenal were for US Navy or maybe there's not that much difference?  Care to show them off?

Speedy excellent progress - that's Lockdown for you!!!

Rob

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2021 at 1:34 PM, robgizlu said:

Hi Beefy

1) First off Please pass my regards to your good lady wife.  PM me if you need any practical advice though I'm delighted she's  asymptomatic

2) Love the panel lines.  I clearly haven't been paying attention in class - what did you spray to get that effect?

3) In terms of Mortar - are you aware that Black Cat do one??  https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/weapons/159-squid-asw-mortar-x2.html

4) I always thought the items in the L'arsenal were for US Navy or maybe there's not that much difference?  Care to show them off?

Speedy excellent progress - that's Lockdown for you!!!

Rob

Hi Rob cheers for the offer but all seems good for now she is still bending my ear about jobs to be done  :facepalm:

As for the lines one coat of primer Halfords Grey then add tape next spray Halfords white primer I only used the white to give me a better line definition and then over spray with Grey again 

looks like Black Cat will be the best option for the Mortar and a couple of other bits needed.  :whistle:

Photo below of the navigation parts I got these from Starling Models it did not mention about only for USN ships might be different sets.

I was also thinking of replacing the doors with these from Micro Master but not sure if they are the correct ones  :hmmm:

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 10

Thanks Beefy - about the "white lines"

Good to hear about Mrs B

I reckon those doors would be correct given it's time of building.

Michal tipped us off re Black Cat new items - if you check their Facebook page you'll see soome interesting intended items

Rob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, beefy66 said:

I was also thinking of replacing the doors with these from Micro Master but not sure if they are the correct ones  :hmmm:

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

In my opinion - they are wrong. According to my references (know to you): This room on compass platform was Anti Submarine office. On drawning in "Anatomy of the Ship" there is no clear hint for door's types. But I think during submarine hunting continous cooperation with AS officer, ASDIC signals and so on was very important. On archival photos you can see very often AS officers in it's "holes" very close to and easily visible from the bridge. So in my opinion such heavy, watertight doors seem not practical in my layman's eyes. Next important premise: this Capt. Haddock's 1/72  build seems very well researched: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=157466 (I think I sent you these photos?). Look how he did. He made light, sliding doors and I buy it. That's why I used very simple type of doors (generic 1/400 L'Arsenal) and a imitation of sliding frame:

1758396845_P1050383(Copy).thumb.jpg.f734

But of course it is only supposition and interpretation.

PS. Searchlight did't stand on A/S's roof... :whistle:

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 3

@socjo1 Michal I think I might have confused you with the last photo showing the bridge but I was referring to the main structure doors but yes the bridge door also needs replaced for better definition on the details I also found these doors from Atlantic and WEM

spacer.png

I also noticed from some of the info you gave me that the funnel cap was set to high I also added the delightful Bobs Buckles to the funnel stays ready for rigging later

spacer.png

And sprayed the deck Cemtex and added the anchor points for the stays

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 7

4fpeCtY.jpg

CZ8mIuo.jpg

+ take a notice: no deck under bridge - wing lattice. (HMS Berkeley + HMCS Humberstone from http://www.forposterityssake.ca/ )

More of "doorleology & doorleosophy" you can find in book about Norman Ough.

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1

OK so think I have the correct ones now fitted used them from my Cornwall PE set which means I will be ordering more from WEM to replace them along with a few other bits  :whistle:.  

spacer.png

also been working on the bridge area adding a few bits

spacer.png

And started with the base coat on the decks and hull

spacer.png

Found some spare mesh for the vents and added the cage bits and blast bag to 4 inch

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 13

32 minutes ago, Courageous said:

What did you use for your bridge windows?

Stuart I used some spare ladder rails from what was left over of my Trafalgar build they are 1/325 scale so a bit bigger than the ones from this kit

29 minutes ago, longshanks said:

Oh you silly boy, so small. Just think what you could do in 1/35 :giggle:

Keep up the good work ....

Cheers Kev I think but do you mean something like these  :hmmm:

got them both for a tenner from an under the table sail at a show a long while ago now  :coolio:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

Looking great beefy.  You're scaring me a bit though.  If all goes well, I should have the missing parts to start my 1/350 frigate build in a couple of weeks.  Like Kev said, the 1/350 parts look "so small".  I just hope my 1/350 build looks at least half as good as your's & Rob's. 🤞

John

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/6/2021 at 7:29 PM, JohnWS said:

You're scaring me a bit though.

Funny that John most of my family say that about me also :whistle:

Well small update more work on the bridge area added the search light platform and rails will need to add the canvas dodgers after painting and you can see why I have added the platform from these plans from Michal @socjo1

spacer.png

spacer.png

Also made up some extra cable reels while doing a lot for the GZ build

spacer.png

Will be making a start on the main mast looks quite busy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The correct colour paints have arrived along with a few other bits for more builds.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will have to look at other traders for some AM stuff now with @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies no longer dealing with third party sales and just continuing with the colour coats range sad but quite understandable.

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 6

4 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Will be making a start on the main mast looks quite busy.

spacer.png

Mast will be really impressive detail. In my opinion it gives her quite modern and "science" outfit.

Take care for those 3 yandarms (main is "flying" - as I described in my gallery). It was really lesson of patience for me. And aerials - if you want to replicate them..

gOfVxA3.png

Tally - ho! 😉

PS. I asked Benjamin from Black Cat if he can do some further RN details including "terrible christmas tree" HFDF antenna, position lights and so on. We will see...

Edited by socjo1
  • Like 1