Revell 1/110 ?!?! TIE fighter

Vlad

After building my Interceptor, I've just unboxed a TIE fighter from the same Revell range. Now, I had no great expectations of scale accuracy, but this one surprised me. The Interceptor is boxed as 1/90, the fighter is boxed as 1/110, so I thought it would be smaller. But the fighter is bigger than the interceptor! The cockpit ball is bigger (I believe they are supposed to be the same), and the pilot figure is bigger. Just putting the pilot figure next to some of my 1/72 aircraft, it's too big for those. I'd say the scale of the whole thing is more like 1/65 than 1/110.

What's weirder still is that they provide a decal for the front window frames. This decal is far too small for the kit, and indeed smaller than the equivalent decal for the interceptor. So the window decal seems to be in the stated scale, but the rest of the kit isn't 🤣

I don't mind really, I just want to paint a cheap TIE fighter and am happy to have a slightly larger finished item. But I wanted to point out this oddity.

• Thanks 1

The culprit is that pilot figure, horribly out of scale I'm afraid :) If you have a look at the pilot compared to the solar panels on the Bandai one....

10307204n.jpg

Then that chap Revell sent you, well, he's a bit of a beast. Perhaps a Wookie in disguise :D

10 hours ago, Misrule said:

The culprit is that pilot figure, horribly out of scale I'm afraid :) If you have a look at the pilot compared to the solar panels on the Bandai one....

Yes, the pilot is too big relative to the cockpit. This is the same for the Revell Interceptor kit, the pilot's eyes are right at the top of the viewport.

But, the overall dimensions of the TIE Fighter are still nowhere near 1:110 according to this: https://www.rebelscale.com/scale-lists/star-wars-size-analyses/tie-fighter-size-analysis/

Since you have a Bandai handy, can you confirm the sizes of those solar panels? The Revell ones are 10cm across at the widest point and 12cm tall. According to the above that should put them at the same size as the Bandai, so the Revell kit is also 1/72 (or there abouts), with a too big pilot.

Edited by Vlad

I'll leave him in, can't see much inside the cockpit anyway once it's built up.

But it's nice to know my TIE fighter will be in-scale with my Spitfires and Bf 109s. Knowing the scale now, those cockpit spheres are really roomy! 😁

Still pretty baffling why they chose to print a scale of 1:110 on the box.

Edited by Vlad

It’s Douglas Adams but...

”the mighty ships tore across the empty wastes of space and finally dived screaming on to the first planet they came across - which happened to be the Earth - where due to a terrible miscalculation of scale the entire battle fleet was accidentally swallowed by a small dog.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw some comparison photos of Fine Molds, Bandai and Revell TIEs, and it looked like the 1/110 "pocket" TIE-Fighter is exactly the same size as the Bandai 1/72 one.

What I did was use the pilot from the 1/90 TIE-Interceptor (which is correctly scaled, so the 1/72 pilot is oversized) in the "pocket" TIE-Fighter - fits perfectly; the pilot figure from the "pocket" Fighter is closer to 1/48 in scale and I've saved it for my old 1/48 MPC TIE-Interceptor. I should post photos of the build but my camera is horrible...